is thermal compound need With new heatsink?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by rander1, Oct 17, 2015.

1. rander1

rander1 MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    #1 rander1, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    I got the original new heatsink dell n5110
    And recognized The middle has original gray thermal compound
    Do not need to be cleaned the original and put something else better quality?

i have this thermal compound gd-460

This is the new heatsink

Attached Files:

2. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Did the New heat sink had protective plastic film on that gray thermal compound ?

If you removed it then its OK.

3. rander1

rander1 MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    no protective plastic film
    Do you think I can trust this original thermal compound?
    Assemble it with this thermal compound?

4. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    no protective plastic film ! clean it off and don't go cheap on thermal compound you only have to use it once ;)

5. rander1

rander1 MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    thanks I'll clean
    What do you think about my gd-460 thermal compound?

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    When cleaning, don't use any metallic object (screwdriver and the like) to remove the compound, otherwise you'll hurt with scratches the copper surface. Use a plastic tool or object.

7. rander1

rander1 MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    Yes of course
    Wait opinion on the thermal compound I have

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. rander1

rander1 MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    I think I'll buy the arctic mx-4

What do you think?

10. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    Arctic Silver is good just remember just a small dab in the middle of your cpu is plenty, in this case less is better ! ;)

11. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    I've cleaned and reinstalled several heatsinks lately. I've found one of the best things to clean the top of the cpu and heat sink surfaces is just a plain, dry, cheap kitchen paper towel. The ones on a roll that tear off 1/2 a sheet are the perfect size. It's just rough enough to take off the old heat sink compound, but won't damage the metal surfaces.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. rander1

rander1 MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    Thank you very much for your help

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I have heard that the Arctic Silver tends to dry out over time and will need to be re-applied. That MX-4 is supposed to be guaranteed for 8 yrs, because it does not dry out....... for what that's worth

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's a 'famous' Chinese copy of Artic Silver! Any real Arctic Silver will not dry out!

I use Arctic silver for years and never had a problem, just only assure that it's original but copy!

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  16. ManyDimensions

ManyDimensions MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2015
    Personally, I would not use the aftermarket compound (GD-460)
    As a rule of thumb, (my thumb) the thermal pads attached to OEM heat sinks are sufficient and meet the manufacturers (engineering) specifications.
    Bottom line, I would remove any clear plastic layer to expose the thermal pad, then attach the device as is.
    Are there better alternatives? Of course there are, but under normal circumstances (no overclocking) (clean heat sink and rotating fan assembly) everything should be fine as is.

17. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @ManyDimensions: Been there...done that. After about 6 months in, using the stock Intel heatsink goo, the goo dried out and the CPU started to overheat.
    Swapped it out with Arctic Silver and everything's running fine (About 2 years now)

Of course, Your mileage may vary, but this is just My experience.

BTW: Welcome to MDL :)

18. BoobyTrap

BoobyTrap MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2015
    I change my compaund every 3 years. It is a long time. So I don't think quality matters that much.

19. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    If you ever need new thermal compound you might try out Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut a German high tech product NOT made by VW. ;) I tested it myself and I have 2-5 degrees Celsius less then with Arctic MX-4.

20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    IMHO the quality of thermal paste is far overestimated. It is there to cover micro scratches that's all.
    Hence it is suggested to use only a little of it.

The heat flow is proportional to the contact surface and the thermoconductivity depends on the used martials of the cooler. The cooling issue comes from non planar surfaces or a not properly attached cooler. (and later form dirt inside of the fans)