It is possible to fake the Windows version reported to BIOS ?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by bratao, Sep 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bratao

bratao MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2011
    Hello !

I have this Laptop ( Hp envy 17 3070nr ) , that in a new bios version, it detects if you're not running Windows 7 and disable the Integrated Graphics if so.

This is a really dumb thing, they did this only to avoid the creation of a working Widows 8 driver.
    I have to use an older BIOS version, so I can have the switchable graphics.

On linux you can change the reported acpi_os_name , and change to Windows 7 or whetever (maximumhoyt.blogspot.com.br/2009/07/fixing-buggy-acpi-bios.html)

Anyone know if this is possible in Windows ?? To fake the reported os name ??

Thanks

2. bratao

bratao MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2011
    Anyone ? :(

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. FunkyMike

FunkyMike MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi There,

I have an Envy 17 2xxx. Not quite the same but I would like to understand what is happening here.

So the Intel card used to be on before but now HP has switched if off??? That is fairly low .. even for HP ;D.

The only reason I see for them to do this is if you have a laptop that strictly relies on a single card to work. I.e. 120Hz screens that needs pure AMD / Nvidia to work with PowerDVD for example. (PowerDVD 3D on PXAI-AMD+Intel will not work on dynamic switching)

So I see no reason why your Intel card is locked. Can you flash an old version back?

Have you checked Donovans blog on how to dump your current BIOS (via the Insyde tool via CMD) edit it and then reflash your own BIOS to enable Intel?

I really would like to know more about this.

5. bratao

bratao MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2011
    Hello !
    Yeah, I can flash an old bios back and everything works good.

The newest version of the BIOS check if you running Windows 7, if not it will disable the Intel Graphic card.
    I guess that HP did this just to not maintain the Switchable driver. This is very low !!:(

6. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
  7. FunkyMike

FunkyMike MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Didn't see the replies before! Don't want to necro raise but that is certainly interesting and explains an issue I had whilst helping someone with an Envy 17 3xxx.

Tqhoang. Very nice idea! I have run into an issue where Intel is not "seeing" the proper "Hz" available. Maybe doing a custom DSDT will help (if EDID modding doesn't)