J Assange May 19 2017 conference

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Atasas, May 19, 2017.

1. Atasas

Atasas MDL Junior Member

May 4, 2010
    Just clicking seeing as what it meant and implications.

Little confused TBH if although being hostage he still doesn't lean to neither monstrosity political side, just keep on leaking and exposing corruption and crimes on the government level...

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    The guy seems to think he's more important than he is, complaining he missed seeing his kids growing up, well sorry but leaking government documents is not exactly a responsible thing to do if you have kids you want to see grow up

If it is only your life it will affect, then go ahead, a single person with no family or kids for example, if you knowingly break the law you can not cry that they stopped you from enjoying life, you made your choice

If I go and steal a car, can I complain when they lock me up?

He seems to have been sitting in that embassy in fantasy land thinking the entire world is focussing on him 24/7/365, when in fact I think most people forgot he was even in there

4. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Well the UK authorities have been focusing on him this entire time, as well as many politicians here in the US.

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    A small group of, and not 24/7/365, our UK authorities have way better things to do than ponder over one guy in an embassy

He'll no doubt have a team assigned to his case, but unlikely it's very big, and unlikely that's all they ever focus on

6. Atasas

Atasas MDL Junior Member

May 4, 2010
    Wouldn't be genuine recommendation to try to run?

And where?

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    What?

8. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    He said that he would not recommend Assange try to run from the embassy, and if he did where would he run to ?

:rolleyes:

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Most likely to the airport to catch a flight to Ecuador

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    The "bobbies" would have caught him long before he arrived at the airport.

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #11 Yen, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Assange is self-publicizing and likes to hear himself talking a lot.....but.

We should not forget he's a person who has been held 7 years without prosecution. 5 of them in a 16 square meter room. This is no good behavior for a constitutional state.
    Also it should be evaluated if he's the right for safe conduct to Ecuador. There is no conviction, the EU warrant is void.
    He is a journalist and takes his job very serious....
    There are a lot of fathers who are doing 'dangerous' jobs having kids either way. If it is 'irresponsible' or not is an own decision. It's a general conflict job career and family.

12. Atasas

Atasas MDL Junior Member

May 4, 2010
    Bit thick?

13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Assange is not American, so there can be no talk of treason. As a journalist, he did a service to the world by exposing dirty practices by underhanded authorities, for which service he is appreciated in the vast majority of countries. He should have received the Nobel Prize. His persecution is a crime against humanity and a shame to those pursuing it.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Big government doesn't like the idea that J.A. can print their secrets that got out, and they'll do anything they can to permanently shut him up, and make it look legal

15. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Perhaps not in America, but what about in his own country?

That's what will be brought up.

That's a matter of perspective. If he's not American, he doesn't have our constitution to fall back on, as so many American journalists do. Also, considering the fact that
    the information he provided may be helping enemies of the USA and GB, At what point are his antics no longer considered to be "Whistle Blowing" and considered to be life threatening?

And what about the innocents that get hurt or killed directly or indirectly because of his leaks? And if that doesn't matter to you,
    and the only thing that does matter is "telling the truth whatever the cost", then go and visit Manchester and ask them how they feel about it.

Yen is right. This guy is an arrogant egotist who enjoys the attention of "blowing his own horn".

In my eyes, neither Snowden nor Assange are heroes. They're rats. Plain and simple.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    It's a double edged sword.
    In one way, it's good that he informed John Q Public that it's govt was spying on them, but on the other hand he provided the means for malicious software to spread the WanaCrypt encryption worm, amoungst many other programs with potential damages to the entire web

17. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
  18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

I differentiate personal attributes and the 'things' they did.
    I don’t like Assange in person. But I like Snowden. It seems the whistle-blowing got to Assange's head whereas Snowden remained normal, actually.
    But what they have disclosed is IMHO one of the most important things...important for the entire humankind.
    Without that we would still be fooled.
    'Rats' were 'the others'.

I do not glorify them, though. But both have my deepest respect.