Make windows (operating system) as private as possible

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mdlgaofei, Nov 10, 2016.

1. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
  2. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Step #1: Install something else instead.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    That's the problem: Everybody has something to hide.

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    What pf100 said!

-Every- human has an intrinsic need for a certain amount of privacy. If you erode that privacy, or even hint at denying it, depending on the person, you can cause irreparable psychological damage.

If you've ever had your house burglarized, then you fully understand what I mean. In some cases, the victims actually have to move out of the house before they can start to heal.

The experience changes you for the rest of your life.

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    It's getting boring hearing the same stuck record people repeating other people's phrases, it has absolutely nothing to do with having nothing to hide, I don't have anything to hide in my house, but I'm not going to leave my front door open for anyone to walk in, nor give the keys to any company who wants to let themselves in and have a look around, it's my house, not theirs, end of story

8. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #9 dobbelina, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    The real hardcore telemetry stuff can't be disabled.
    It's inbuilt in the core components and can't be turned off.
    LogonController.dll is full of the stuff, and when a friend of mine patched these functions he had a noticeable
    faster boot time, but that's another story....

Patching LogonController.dll is also the only way to disable the beautiful piece of software engineering
    known as the "Lockscreen" on Anniversary v1607.

9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    The board is full of repetitions, including the opinions of the quoted post under consideration protesting about them. And as people keep asking the same question, it’s normal to give the same answer, as opposed to inconsistently and haphazardly giving a different one each time. Which answer they obviously haven’t heard, as they ask the same question.

The two posts preceding (#6&7) contend the opposite.

Fully understandable, everybody feels the same way, except that the Internet is not anybody’s house and what one does on it rarely remains secret. To some extent, this unfortunately also applies to what is connected to it.

I’m not saying that anybody likes the above facts regarding lack of privacy, but they are facts and we better get used to them. Always in my opinion, one should take reasonable privacy measures, but excessive preoccupation is both paranoiac and futile (no offense).

Last but not least, this is not a personal attack, only my personal opinion on points raised repeatedly. And which opinion I reserve the right to repeat in the future. ;)

10. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    being anonymous online is a myth, internet was born to locate and interact. But what microsoft has done is very disturbing as a user, there should have been an option to disable this nonsense for the sake of those who like to be private on their system. It was expected from google to collect data, as they were a search engine and android was made for portable devices. But microsoft was totally different back then, but now its following the path of google and playing with the emotions of users that have saved in binary on their OS/malware

11. budzos

budzos MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2009
    Personally even if you have nothing to hide you should have the choice to keep you and your families life private in all respects.
    I do not want ANYBODY monitoring my wife or my sons weblife in any form. Maybe I am overprotective but better safe now than sorry later.
    budzos

12. corsair0987

corsair0987 MDL Novice

May 21, 2015
    LockScreenGone doesn't patch those functions, right? I'd like to learn more on the topic of LogonController patching!

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  14. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Get used to. Enjoy it. Collecting anonymous data makes your user experience more enjoyable. It does for me anyway. Why, If I misplace my cellphone I can ask Cortana to find it, and she will! Then she plays this really bizarre song out of it! It is freaking awesome!

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #18 Espionage724, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    Small list of things I imagine you (and many others) want to hide, or at the very least, would not feel comfortable telling/sharing with any random person/group:

• Full name
    • Credit card numbers and bank routing numbers
    • Home address
    • Place of employment
    • Passwords
    • Email addresses
    • Identification numbers (SSN in US)
    • Hardware serial numbers
    • Fingerprints, iris scans, or other biometrics
    • Health conditions

I imagine most people wouldn't want to share that kind of information outside of very specific situations that require it (eg: Facebook needs your Facebook password; doesn't need to know your Gmail password though). Why would anyone feel comfortable with Microsoft (who, employs regular people) and any 3rd-party they associate with having access to any of the above?

Of course, if anyone here really has "nothing to hide", why don't you just provide some of that here for us :p

Ah, glad to see popular websites have gotten less bogged-down over time and that Windows 10 is less buggy and offers more choices than ever, after all, my feedback (and I imagine most others) would claim to want this.

Oh wait, "anonymous" data collection isn't supposed to benefit people like this considering the above hasn't happened at all in any significant matter. But you know what data collection is good for? Making some nice profits (only for the parent company of course; nothing for the users providing the data) :p

I can also do this from my Smartwatch or even Google's device manager site; both without relying on any particular operating system on my desktop :p No idea how versatile that is from an iPhone or Windows Phone though.

16. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #19 dobbelina, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016