Manual BIOS editing, modern tools of the trade?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by jamesm80, Apr 11, 2014.

1. jamesm80

jamesm80 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Hi,
    A few years back I used to play around with BIOS's using CBROM, Phoenix BIOS Editor etc. but more recently I mostly used Andy's Tools for injecting SLIC tables...

Now I'd like to have a go at manually editing BIOS's again but it seems things have changed a bit and the tools that used to be used are not used anymore? I've got a DELL 745 OptiPlex BIOS for example, and this won't open in Phoenix BIOS Editor (no BCP's found?). Andy's Tools seems to uncompress all the module rom's but then I get a HDR Checksum Incorrect...

I wonder if anyone might be kind enough to fill me in roughly with regards to what tools are the best now to edit BIOS's manually, and rebuild/put them back together afterwards?

..and yes I have searched the forum as best as I can, but it seems that most of the info is old for manual bios editing (2007).

Any guidance appreciated, just a point in the right direction would be great.

Thanks,
    James.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...