Medical Marijuana - Compassion, Decriminalization, Human rights...

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by timesurfer, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    Clinical trials Humm how can you say they don't do any ??

It was a clinical trail that gave me back my 20 years In return for partaking in a one month trial of a pre treatment they also pay'd for the standard treatment.

As a result of that I see how much money it costs just to obtain one more tiny bit of info regarding new cures.

Wither or not you can scientifically prove that weed has healing powers, simply the sense of well being that ppl get from using it can alone be enough to help keep ppl healthy as we all know state of mind has a lot to do with good health or the ability to heal

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Oral tradition has flaws, the accuracy of the info is left to the mercy of the one giving it and people tend to embellish stories and what not as it gets passed down.
    I have no doubt that certain herbs etc have healing properties, there are many simple ones that I know. However, some of the claims in this thread revolve around the ridiculous.
    If known cancer fighting plants existed they would have long been marketed by the money grubbing drug companies.
    Also when I see an argument put forward that has this in it
    it makes me laugh. You are putting yourself forward as the authority on the specific subject and everyone else is misinformed. As shocking as it might seem to you, your info is not infallible. And given your oral traditions
    I would bet that your info is flawed. What I want to see is real evidence not hearsay this is 2012 not 1512.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    @R29k Attempting to be little a mans way or a people with a few corrosive words or sentences speaks more about you and your character then anything of consequence being discussed here.. As for the sweeping generalities I stand by what I said .. To march out statements like "Oral tradition has flaws, the accuracy of the info is left to the mercy of the one giving it and people tend to embellish stories and what not as it gets passed down." is fraught with ignorance and can only be seen as divisive in nature. If you need me to explain to you why I can but I won't. If you were standing in front of me we could have that dialogue in fact the discovery of the truth would be better served ..

You attempt to speak for me by saying

So you don't misunderstand me let me say this for myself .. Anything that I have added to this thread is based on what I have lived personally and has been passed down to me by my elders and I was given permission to speak about. As far as me believing "everyone else" is misinformed .. Ahh R29k :rolleyes: you play in such a small place some days ..

And finally this exercise in futility concludes with this

Your continued disrespect of others points of view on this forum is tiresome and has no place here IMHO .. Take it some place else

4. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    @RaymondTH: WoW! You just lied to yourself! :eek:

On one hand you say clinical trials and placebo and on the other hand you don't agree with the testimonials. :eek: How's that?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It is really hard when one is tightly joint to objects, terms and own made definitions. Especially when one is actually not a professional in that matter...and has no real knowledge of the matter.

I have to notice that seemingly you don't want to understand (with intent?) I am asking myself why I post again in order to reply to you....

Western medicine: The established theories, diagnostics and therapies applied / developed in e.g. Europe and USA. The applied academic medicine. Attributes are high tech medical devices, measurements and profit orientated diagnosis. (The expensive tech needs to be profitable). And yes Evidence Based Medicine.
    Of course in China western medicine has its place as well. Also traditional Chinese medicine becomes popular in Europe and the USA.

Your ignorance is reaching an new top level, I am sorry.
    "So called traditional medicine has been confined to the dust bin of history aswell as bloodletting human sacrifice prayer therapy etc"

Traditional medicine is conquering the places where western medicine has had it's only place and has failed so far!!!
    I name some terms you might to inform about, if you are willing to...

Chinese traditional medicine (TCM) is applied by family physicians and has its origin in China.
    It has different sections. Zhong Yao (herbal medicine), Zhen Jui, Tui Na, Qi Gong....

Closer to topic: Zhong Yao

Usually a mixture of 2-6 different herbals. The one who is ill cooks a own decoction of them.
    One popular is Er Xian Tang "the two immortals".
    I urgently suggest to you to inform you about the principles of TCM. Then you know the main differences of traditional diagnostic and western academic diagnostics. And please inform you about Ayurveda, Ayurvedic typecast and how the diagnostic is made.
    THEN you will have a clue and then you know what I have meant. ('The entirety' versus 'the partial'). The presence versus the objectified diagnostic.

Honestly it is a bit tedious to fight that much ignorance....

And the top of the top:

"It is this medicine that doubled human life expediency in the 20th century. Its practiced in every developed country on earth. "

That is absolutely wrong, but gladly said by physicians.
    Two facts are responsible for it:
    better hygiene and better nutrition.
    The progress in medicine plays only a minor part, go figure!

"Im sorry we live in a boring universe that follows natural laws and doesn't care about our survival, But its the demonstrable truth the shaman didn't eradicate smallpox the doctor did."

What's the point of that? Who ever said that shamans did that?

I feel sorry for you that your mind excludes treasures of traditions, no matter if medicine or something else.
    With your attitude of mind you keep back so much possibilities of actions that might happen, yes you are restricting yourself. And I have the feeling you see traditional medicine as a primitive 'undeveloped' and inferior way to heal.....can you keep that prejudice of traditional medicine when you would get a disease nobody of those 'westerners' seem to be able to cure (you)?

Your one-side-ness explains why you have to recognize that you (not we) live in a boring universe. And it follows ever only that what you think it will follow!

With your mind you can only exercise a small amount of intelligence, I am talking of the intelligence which is not from this world, which is actually not different to your real self! By using the mind which can only objectify, most of it remains veiled.

When is something real (for a mind orientated person)?
    When the mind has an idea of it!
    'Anything' else you are missing....and THAT cannot have a place in the mind. It simply IS.

Finally a hint for you: To travel and to be a part of other cultures might free your mind...
    I wish you all the best for it. :)

6. RaymondTH

RaymondTH MDL Member

Apr 23, 2012
    #86 RaymondTH, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    testimonial In promotion and of advertising, a testimonial or show consists of a person's written or spoken statement extolling the virtue of some product. The term "testimonial" most commonly applies to the sales-pitches attributed to ordinary citizens, whereas the word "endorsement" usually applies to pitches by celebrities. Testimonials can be part of communal marketing.

!=

A blind or blinded experiment is a scientific experiment where some of the people involved are prevented from knowing certain information that might lead to conscious or subconscious bias on their part, thus invalidating the results.
    & China & South Korea & Japan & India & pretty much any developed country on the planet.

Yes there are idiots in Europe and the USA im sad to say
    Oh I don't deny that its got the poverty market cornered if you cant afford real medicine I thoroughly recommend it right after an exorcisim
    Ill do that right after its efficacy is proven same with daemon exorcism
    Then one would have to ask why in our hunter gather era the human lifespan wasn't 150. This is denial of reality trying to warp the facts around your beliefs I do the opposite base my beliefs on the facts
    Yeah who cares about eradicating an illness that killed more people than all wars in human history that's not what medicine is about
    Its a bulls**t filter if you can prove its efficacy ill believe it if not I and the majority of people on this rock wlll throw it in the same bin as bloodletting and daemon exorcism
    Its not a prejudice to demand that medicines efficacy be proved
    And again with the false claim that evidence based medicine is western medicine its not its global.

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Would be nice if you could educate all of us on how accurate your oral traditions can be !
    It has nothing to do with belittling, you have provided an argument based on hearsay and NO proper evidence whatsoever. The only assumption I can make
    is that you are the authority on the subject and everything you say is fact or you are just padding up your argument. Provide evidence for you claims that's all I'm asking.
    You have no proper source how can anyone take you credibly ?

9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #89 redroad, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Your words “Would be nice if you could educate all of us on how accurate your oral traditions can be !”

There are prerequisites for one to be educated about something, least of which is a mind open enough to learn and a measure of respect for the process .. As to the accuracy of the oral traditions of my Nation there is no point that can be made clear enough to an already cynical mind. The now predictable measure of cynicism and dismissiveness that accompanies most of your posts warrants no in depth response from me. Why do you continue to speak or in this case ask for other people when you have been given no authority to do so ? “educate all of us”

Proper evidence
    Proper source
    You must have some idea how you want to define those terms , enlighten me so I can be sure to include it in my next post..:rofl6:

Your words "You have no proper source how can anyone take you credibly ?"

As I posted earlier
    "Anything that I have added to this thread is based on what I have lived personally and has been passed down to me by my elders and I was given permission to speak about."
    If I need more than that to be credible in your opinion than you will have to look elsewhere :moon::biggrin3:

10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @R29K: I'd have to say that much of Chinese Traditional medicine was handed down by word of mouth, because documenting and archiving was expensive and not long lasting (i.e. Time, weather, etc. caused the parchment and inks to break down.) The methods of healing were also considered to be sacred, only to be practised by those of Shaman status.

Redroad said: "...and has been passed down to me by my elders and I was given permission to speak about.". That has been the way for literally thousands of years, practised by many cultures. Ways of healing are considered sacred, but moreso, it takes dilligence and wisdom to "get it right" without killing the sick person.

I have to say that the only way for you to obtain "evidence" is to live in and immerse yourself in a culture who uses traditional medicine. Or witness traditional medicine first-hand.

I have a friend who, for a number of years, was very ill with a recurring esophageal infection. Doctors could not "fix" her problem, and antibiotics almost killed Her.
    They (Western Medicine) gave Her 3 to 5 years to live. (That was about 10 years ago) She sought out Homeopathic (Herbal) medicine and has been kept alive and well by it.

To me, that's proof enough that Herbal Medicine works.:)

I've said it before; I'll say it again. Keep an open mind. This world is filled with wonderous things, most of which We do not understand.

:Miki.

11. RaymondTH

RaymondTH MDL Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Kill me now I don't want to live on the same planet as people who think "Homeopathic" medicine aka water works.

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It seems like you'll have to kill them, as they are not going anywhere and neither are you, not in any hurry...

Humans are all too frequently utterly irrational and need to fill the gaps in their "knowledge"...

So, all kinda stuff is given a go, so to speak, in various corners of the world...

I am not much for irrationality, as you may know from other threads but...

Too strong a word from you evokes bad memories from not long ago...

Stalinism/Fascism is frequently nothing but a quick, unmediated (unthinking) transition from the world of ideas ([political] "philosophy") into the world of everyday relations, so be careful... A little more tolerance wouldn't go amiss in our world... If for no other reason than to keep an open mind... here and there...

And I don't care if it's another "mystifier" or "scientist"... ;) :)

13. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    #93 Puffingmad, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    On a positive note and in my opinion a move in the right direction Washington DC has just decriminalised weed :worthy::worthy:
    Hopefully this will help influenced other states and country's to follow suit

In the words of "peter Tosh"

Legalise it Don,t Criticise it

I can buy alcohol which is killing 100s of thousands of ppl every year, I buy tabaco which is also killing countless ppl

Yet I cant buy Weed There has never been a recorded death relating directly to weed

Something just isn't right here

14. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    well, some sense and tolerance seems to be flowing back
    to this thread, it was sorely missing for a while..

my own thoughts;

as for oral tradition; it is of all cultures, and not just
    limited to medicine, without oral tradition, there would
    be no illiad or odyssee, and no-one in the western world
    can call homer flawed..

as for the placebo effect, well, marijuana is a drug,
    so it does have an effect, and if it makes people feel
    better, even if this is merely an illusion, well, then it
    still makes them feel better, does not it? so what`s the
    harm in that?

and as i said before, people can make money legally
    from more harmfull stuff, like alcohol, and nicotine.
    marijuana may be a big issue in us legislation now,
    but it is relatively harmless by comparision..
    and the us have hardly invented the wheel, in that..

what kind of hurt me in this thread was that somehow
    tolerance seemed to fly out the window, at times,
    and i think tolerance is what makes us tick..

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Tick or thick? :rolleyes: :D:p:D

I bet it's a mis-spell... :D

16. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    plead innocent, gorski.. tick is what it is...:biggrin:

17. RaymondTH

RaymondTH MDL Member

Apr 23, 2012
    The issue with placebo only treatment is it can cause serious harm by delaying the use of real treatment, In the case of cancer that's deadly.

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    You like Redroad missed the issue completely. I'm not talking about simple remedies, like ginger for colds etc. The issue I have is with cures for major diseases like
    cancer, HIV and many std's etc.
    Also the Chinese have writing dating back over 3000 years. You don't even have to bother with the Chinese, the Egyptian pyramids have some of the worlds oldest writing.
    And how old are the Dead Sea Scrolls? I have no idea why you came to the conclusion that writing was not long lasting. Where are the cave paintings ?
    Also Oral Traditions become mythology since it changes as it is passed down. The mythology may have factual info in it but it also has parables so you really can't take it all literally.
    Take the lliad that nodnar mentioned, how many would take that seriously when it mentions Greek Gods in the Trojan War ?
    A lot of cultures, when they mention "sacred" they are going along the same lines as religion, the "sacred" means you should not question it.
    In many cases the "sacred" is a load of nonsense and in some cases it is valuable data so you need some salt to go with it.
    The impression I get in this thread is that there are certain people that want to demonize modern medicine and supplant it with their "sacred herbal medicines". If that's the case then you simply don't have to use the modern medicine, when you get cancer or some other major disease you can make a trip to the local witch doctor and he/she will fix you up. If you think that lemon juice will cure cancer then go right ahead and use it.
    I'm still waiting for Redroad to tell me who was living to 150 years old in the past. And Redroad this is not an attack on your belief system, I just have a big issue when people state blatant bs and expect
    everyone else to take it as fact!

19. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #99 redroad, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    @R29k I Just wanted add this so you have something to give some thought to before you start getting in past what you know to be certain and then maybe we can discuss it ..

So on some of my ancesstors living to be !50 years old just 4-5 hundred years ago is B.S. and you know this how?:rolleyes:

The only thing that is blatant is your consistent and continued disrespect for others.. Your continued comments on oral tradition and things that you have never experienced personally gives me pause enough that I would not give credence to anything you have to say. Like I said take it someplace else.

20. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Brilliant rebuttal , provide no evidence and then turn it around and ask me to provide evidence. :laie:
    Then detract from the whole conversation, while conveniently not providing any proper info, and state how people disrespect you and their arguments are not valid, as if yours are valid! :swoon:
    Since you are the foremost authority on Oral Traditions and alternative healing then no one can have a discussion with you, case closed !