Microsoft to modify WGA for SP1 Final, might kill OEM BIOS MOD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by indabox, Dec 4, 2007.

1. solracna

solracna MDL Member

Nov 3, 2007
    So, if you feel like guessing a little more.
    Let's say a "friend" of you has an MSI mobo modded with DELL SLIC, what does the oracle say?
    Will SP1 detect that something is wrong or will it keep the current activation with the DELL certificate and serial number?
    Carlos

2. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    oracle says his friends activation will be fine..but your MSI and Dell SLIC will be detected and de-activated....lol....just kidding..its all specualtion right now

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #43 Yen, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
    Well lets guess again.... hmm I'm looking on my crystal ball and....... yes he is still able to activate Vista, but after the WGA check it's reported as non genuine and the black screen will appear!:p

BTW: There is a MSI SLIC and cert. available ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cythrawl

Cythrawl MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2007
    So basicaly those who own mobo's that dont have MFG SLIC (Like Abit for example - Unless Abit DOES have one, do you know by chance?) are pretty much fuxx0red.

Surly it would be just a case of editing the Motherboard ID to make it look like an Asus, etc (even though its not)... or am I thinking too simply here, if that was the case.

Of course we wont know until after Feb 6th.. :)

5. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    again,everything is speculation at this time and point but if MS was running system checks and someone boots up with a 'ABIT' board that can be easily detected and all of a sudden the Bio's ID's it as a 'ASUS_NOTEBOOK'...im sure thats going to raise a cloud of interest.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, only a guess, let's see;)
    What makes a Abit board a Abit one!?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    System Information?...Everest?...Bio's Firmware?

8. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    My thought is that they will check the DMI strings for the motherboard and manufacturer info.

So basically SP1 would check for both SLP 1.0 and SLP 2.0.

I have both SLP1 and SLP2 as HP, I'm using an HP key and HP cert so hopefully I'm safe. ;)

9. solracna

solracna MDL Member

Nov 3, 2007
    How can you tell with Everest that you have both SLP 1.0 and SLP 2.0?
    Solracna

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #50 Yen, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
    I guess that they will check the SLIC-OEM against some DMI entries. No matter if SLP1 string is there or not.

The SLP1 string must be somewhere at F0000h-FFFFFh (exact valid range is OEM dependent) . The DMI area is at F0000h-F1000h

11. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    hmm I fired back up my gigabyte ds3 installed 18000 installed Dell slic via isarom....

so..SLIC installed....can see it in everest. Machine starts up registered. Put machine to sleep....restarts. Everest can still see the SLIC its still there is perfect shape all tables are still intact by shows unregistered. Been doing that for all the RC of the service pack. Original 6000 install doesn't.

Maybe that answers some of the speculation.

12. robforbes

robforbes MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2007
    I have a Gigabyte-P35-DS3P and it has always done that, even with genuine Vista

13. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    never did it with RTM v6000 at all. Had that installed this morning just to confirm...x86 and never had an issue with sleep.

14. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    oh you mean a coa key?

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #55 Yen, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
    Yes!

There is still no code to prevent bios mods!!!!

AND it's a issue regarding some Gigabyte boards with isa module mod, nothing more.... ....
    ..........and this is the wrong thread to discuss it.....a SIMPLE SSV1 mod might resolve this issue, so why to discuss it again and again???

16. Cythrawl

Cythrawl MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2007
    #56 Cythrawl, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
    Well I broke down yesterday and put the SP1 Refresh 2 on my install of Vista (after backing my partition up with Acronis of course).

Went on ok, seemed to work ok too, but I had a few performance problems with it. When for example playing games that thrashed the hard drive (Dynamic loading - Titan Quest is a good example) you could see the game struggleing to keep up with the hard drive (or its the other way round). Did a defrag and it did nothing (nor would it seeing my games are installed to another partition). It did not do this without SP1 on the machine it ran as smooth as silk. Also saw that the FPS had dropped as well. I think maybe its because it was installed over the top of an existing Vista install. I'll wait till the full final download is out, integrate it into my install DVD and do a fresh install with SP1 as part of the OS. So I restored my image and I wont be trying it again for a few months now till all the kinks are straightened out.

I remember the same **** happening with XP when you installed the service packs post install rather than integrating them. My reccomendation is not to bother just yet, wait till final is out and the WGA code is out, integrate the service pack into your DVD, and do a fresh install. As it stands I personally got no benefit from SP1, it doesnt add anything that Vista doesnt already have when you apply all the updates and hotfixes that are available now.

The old adage runs true.... if it aint broke.... dont fix it..

17. re*s.t.a.r.s.*2

re*s.t.a.r.s.*2 MDL Junior Member

Apr 28, 2007
    #57 re*s.t.a.r.s.*2, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
    I'm Sorry for all the strugling you had with the refresh 2,
    In my case I have integrated the SP1 refresh2 to my RTM Vista, left Vista Business, Somehow i found the EXE of SP1 refresh 2 on the internet, and did the reverse install and captured the image, all works fine with me...
    Games like ut2004, ut3, crysis, rocks with this install, i am really happy and i think this would be the final realease, have a great day everyone

18. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Yen, I don't think Robforbes was referring to a bois mod at all so I don;t think he is bring it up again. I read his statement to say that with a purchased standard gigabyte board and a purchased vista coa it deregisters itself if you let it sleep.....

If thats the case thats ugly isn't it understand why you may want to try an alternative.

19. Mtthwpez

Mtthwpez MDL Junior Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Im new to these forums so im not sure if anyone has had this happen to them, but i use the vista loader crack 2.2.
    I installed the latest vista sp1 and it still showed as activated. Ive run it for a while on my laptop and pc to see any differences but to be honest ive not seen any and it stayed activated through sleep etc :D.
    I do however know tha it does remove the paradox crack if installed and it will not work if you try to install it after installing the service pack, so im guessing they have at least found a way to stop some of the cracks so far! ;)

20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    M$ stated as improvement for SP1: ......reduced wake up time from S3 sleep....
    .......side effect: Deactivaton of Vista at some Gigabyte ISA mods........