Microsoft unveils a new look, new logo, 25 years after the original

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xscess, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Step 1: Start > Run > Mspaint
    Step 2: Draw four squares > Right click - Select Fill
    Step 3: Collect millions of dollars in advertising management fee's.

2. Computers Plus

Computers Plus MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Microsoft is regressing as it becomes a senior citizen :happybday:

3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Wrong. #'s will be through the roof as large large companies are forced to buy pre-installed Windows 8 licenses and charges them again for Software Assurance rights to downgrade to Windows 7 en-masse.

4. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009

Attached Files:

5. StarTac

StarTac MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2007
    If you look at the logo by turning the head to the right you will see a garbage bin :D

Sorry for my english

6. LEXX911

Jul 29, 2009
    #27 LEXX911, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
    As an Artist I know what's look good when I see it. Minimalistic/simplistic doesn't mean ugly. A lot of people out there like minimalistic/simplistic look. This is a total modern design.

7. UnderShadow

UnderShadow MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2007
    #28 UnderShadow, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Modern as in "regressing"?

Who defines "modern"? Artists? And the rest of us have to take artists' words for it and believe this is modern?

I don't think so; the human brain is 3d and works better in 3d; children and primates may think better in 2D, not us adult homo sapiens. My humble opinion.

8. NetworkPro

NetworkPro MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    It's a statement. They don't need 3d to have an exceptional product/service.

9. natostanco

natostanco MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2011
    Windows are mostly related to a 2d concept, a connection between 2 spaces, 1 inside, 1 outside, if you look at the video, there is a countless number of those colorful 2d squares floating around that are just windows, it is really an emphatization of the so common word that made microsoft popular, a concept that fits perfectly with the new touch interfaces being used more and more.

Unifying in such a way all the microsoft products reinvigorates the microsoft brand. That's what you want if you change the "face" of you company in some way, you do it to remind your customers who the company that is giving you those services is. And it was a thing that was going a bit sideways if you think about all the logos and interfaces and groups scattered among all the microsoft services/products (live essentials?).

When you think about xbox you think about microsoft, when you think about office you think about microsoft, when you think about windows you think about microsoft, a common graphic ground makes the user feel "at home"(all that white apples?), the use of 2D is not "modern" but conceptual. Why is this metro style using such big plain colorful squares? Colors are on of the most important aspects about sight, in some harsh and maybe a bit forced way, they want to connect colors with their products, when you think about green you think about xbox and then you think about microsoft, and so on...it is a bit forceful but well isn't it what advertising is? To force on the customers weaknesses, colors are one of these.

THEY WANT TO PLANT THEIR COMPANY INTO OUR BRAINS :p

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. dailyinsanity

dailyinsanity MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    It was probably made in MS Paint by using 4 squares, Filled colors, and Text.

12. Computers Plus

Computers Plus MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I think Microsoft is employing preschoolers to do their design work these days you know with the economy still being in the crapper they are the cheapest labor they could find lol......

13. EricMarsi

EricMarsi MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2012
    whats the song

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Sapp

Sapp MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2010
    It's all about money :worthy: money money money

Feeling sorry for all enthusiasts and users, people around the world deserved something better.
    We need things that makes us creative, encourage and feeling inspiration in this moment in give the economy speed forward and get on feet again. This strategy will do the opposite, it serves Microsoft interests but not the users needs. Had even been for the better if it never been released in the first place, would be better if we didn't knew, would be better if it had stayed at campus for the students. Because it has only succeeded to erase peoples expectations for the vast majority in how most people watching on Microsoft as a reliable company we can trust and rely on.

I don't like Windows 8 and specially not their new shown attitude where transparency and twisting the truth is ok in make everything look awesome on the paper, in get opinion and customers buying it.

They could least had the guts admit Windows 8 was primarily for tablets and not for PC's
    Thanks M$ for such a cheap favor - We won't forget :fuyou31:

15. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #38 Muerto, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021

16. LEXX911

Jul 29, 2009
    #39 LEXX911, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Just because you and maybe a few trolls on here doesn't like it means it's a bad or a poorly design. Apple had it easy. You are given the name Microsoft and Windows. You can probably do a lot with the word MICROSOFT by choosing the letter M as your logo but most of the good M logos are already been taken and M is not a really unique logo to go by. Their main brand and selling point had always been their Windows OS. The wavy version did look unique but as a multicolor version it doesn't look good or right. It might look good with a monochromatic color and it stand out well when printed/branded on a phone, computer, laptop and etc...But still that wavy version look more like a flag more than what a Microsoft Windows name represent. Sure you can do some fancy stuff and make the square boxes more complex or detailed. But that design must also work and look good in both large and small scale. Some nice detail design might look good in certain size but when you scale it down you loses that detail and it become pretty unrecognizable. The same thing with picking a nice looking avatar that will look nice to the 80x80 scale. Some images you find will look awesome but when you have to scale it down it just downright doesn't look good. It might be simplistic and boring but it works on many factor and it's recognizable. What I don't like is the Windows 8 logo especially the blue version. It's for some reason remind me the flag of Finland. The white version on a dark background look good but the color version just look like a flag. From what I've read outside this forum is that a lot of people like the simplistic of this new logo. The best way to judge this is when you will see in person on a store front, boxes, electronics ect. This version is much improvement over the wavy version.

Boston-20120823-00014_610x458.jpg

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, to me it is poorly designed and bad. It is of course my opinion (only), but as valid as other opinions.
    Also it's embarrassing to use four windows even though 'windows' has been invented / realized by Commodore at the workbench on Amiga PCs far before M$ had ever seen a window opening on Intel X86 PCs ;)

IMHO a company should never change its logo. The founder of a company gives a name to his company and creates a logo which he associates with his ideals / visions...stolen ideals and poor design are not valuable to me.