Migrated my Hard Drive to a SSD and ran into some wierd problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Palladin, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    #21 Palladin, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    (OP)

Attached Files:

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #22 Joe C, Jun 27, 2019
    Why is your C: drive only 60gb?
    Your really cutting yourself very short on space by doing that.
    Install Windows and let Windows do the partition thing itself (remove all other existing partitions). If you need back up, then putting a back up on the same drive won't help if you run into a problem with that drive. Find an external drive or a cloud service (both is better) to make your back ups. Your using a 500gb drive so what is "spare" for? Most peeps use a large size platter drive for their extra data storage.... depending on what you do with your pc, a 500gb SSD will be o.k. just as it is without making extra partitions.
    Do a clean install of your operating system, It really helps to get your drivers downloaded onto a usb drive before you do.
    After you clean install, install your drivers. You stated you know the order but have not posted it. Usually do Chipset drivers first, then video followed by ethernet and audio.
    (after you get everything "in order" you can use that toshiba drive as a back up or extra storage drive)

EDIT: It really helps to enable "Rapid Mode" on that drive too

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @Joe C , 60gb for windows 7 should be ok depends.
    On my laptop I personally have still to partition my 500gb ssd at the moment wth windows 10 it is using 54 gb with all my applications installed.

I do not store documents, pictures, videos, music, or downloads on system drive those are moved to Hard drive.
    Also I can restore system in less than 6 minutes using acronis trueimage , The larger your system partition the more stuff you will probably put on it and takes longer to backup and restore.
    To be honest my Desktop only has 120 gb ssd running windows 7 a smaller one would have done for this laptop.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #24 Joe C, Jun 27, 2019
    Well if you feel that the op is capable of being able to manage a 60gb partition for his windows 7 then o.k.
    Knowing to move the library files to another larger drive, and moving the temp internet folder plus managing to remove windows update files and cookies over time would make it doable.

But I could see a 60gb partition filling up if one is not careful about file storage and keeping things tidy, it is not good to use up all the free space on an ssd.
    With 500gb drive I personally see no reason to limit the windows C partition to only 60gb, I myself have a 250gb drive and I still have 50% used for mostly windows. Putting backup space on the same drive is not a good idea to me but this is just my opinion.
    Edit: I am at 50% from just checking my drive space, but I have not cleaned up windows update files, cookies and some video files in quite a while so with care I could get away with 100gb with less maintenance.... but why if I do not have too

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
    #25 vanelle, Jun 27, 2019
    small or not small is more ore less a quetion of
    how does the ssd intern assin the memory blocks to the partitions
    if memory blocks fixed assignt to a partition (similar HD cylinder assinment to a partition)
    -> the SSD partition shold be max as posible
    if memory blocks independend from the partitions
    -> partitions size of the SSD doesent care

with other words
    If a 60 GB partition always uses the same 60 GB SSD storage blocks -> then you burn holes in the SSD
    such kind of SSD should only have 1 big partition for the OS and the DATA (other small partition should only used by eg. EFI)

Smart (expensive) SSDs do not do that
    It is usually difficult to get information from the manufacturer

6. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    :confused:
    The 80gb partiton that I created after all the software and updates has 43gb free.
    And after a while I will delete the Software Distribtion and pick up another 3gb or so.

Here's the installation order I used:

Installation-order.jpg

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #27 Yen, Jun 27, 2019
    Why factory over-provisioning is enough and extra custom OP is useless for most client use.
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/samsung-magician-makes-wonders.78527/#post-1489252

It's rather a question of SSD generation. Any SSD that has been made the last 5 years (Keywords S.M.A.R.T / wear leveling and bad block management) has dynamically allocated cells and uses the OP cells as well.

Goal is to have the same amount of (re)write operations for each physical block.
    There are two different approaches: static and dynamic wear leveling.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Seems to me that if you spend a couple of extra bucks to get a 500gb ssd drive, then why not use the entire 500gb you paid for?

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I don't disagree Joe but for myself originally on my laptop I was just going to image my 1TB internal hard drive only 300 on GB used on 3 partitions to the 500GB SSD.
    Then I found out you can get a cady and I could put the hard drive in that it replaced the cd/dvd rom drive. So I store and backup to that hard drive and also an external 2TB usb hard drive. I will partition eventually :)

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #31 Yen, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  11. DukiSync

DukiSync MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2010
  12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #33 Joe C, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    I do agree that if you want to partition an SSD it does not affect the performance of the SSD. But is it alway's necessary to create partitions? I know that Windows 10 will auto-create partitions during the install for boot files and backup, and it doesn't matter if your using a platter drive or an SSD

13. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Strictly spoken, yes. You need to have at least one partition. An unpartitioned drive is useless.

14. DukiSync

DukiSync MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2010
    #35 DukiSync, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    "...But is it alway's necessary to create partitions?..."
    Create partitions that suit your needs, speed up some things and make it easy for you to work ...

"...I know that Windows 10 will auto-create partitions during the install..."
    if you install an existing partition, it will not...

15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    How is it possible that this problem has been topical/actual for 22 days and so far this simple problem has not clear and solved?
    By now it has become a trash bin where is thrown everything! Some asks what the thing is the partition at all. Some others ask how to install Win 10, the third does not know what is "Trim", the fourth do not know what the SSD is and what it to do with it.
    Maybe this mess should be in some other heading, because it is not related with Windows 7 at all. Mayby it is something similar to trash.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    When installing LTSC on a brand new SSD (no partitions yet) and you do a custom MBR installation it only auto-creates a small one (~550MB system reserved) in front of the main partition. It contains boot, bootmgr and the like.
    So you have just 2.
    Other OSes like Android use even more partitions. 20 is no extraordinary amount.

The thread title is about migrating issues from HDD to SSD using Acronis, yes particularly w7, but that's actually secondary.

When migrating there are general advices and considering partitions plays a role especially when the new SSD has a different size.
    There are system created partitions which have their purposes and when migrating they should be properly transferred.
    And because a SSD works different to a HDD some reconsiderations are appropriate. (Custom OP and the like).

17. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    And it only uses about 30MB of that. Am i right in thinking that if you dont create a partition but just use the empty space and press Next then it puts the boot and os files onto a single partition?

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #39 Yen, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Didn't try that myself so far.

When migrating and using images such as Acronis there is even another thing to consider.

Properly aligned partition(s). The topic is more complex as one might think.
    That's the reason why I personally recommend a new clean installation when migrating to SSD.

Windows does properly align the partitions to SSDs since Vista when doing a clean installation on new created partitions.
    When using images I would check that manually. Misaligned partitions cause slow down and more wear on SSDs. Recent versions of imaging tools should care of that already.

19. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Macrium Reflect does recognize ssd drives when cloning from a platter to ssd