Mod Your Own Bios / Discussions on BIOS Transcoding

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by hellohello, Jul 12, 2007.

1. hellohello

hellohello MDL Junior Member

May 10, 2007
    #1 hellohello, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    This thread is created with the intention of putting all the guides found in this forum in one place. Thus, easier for us to look for it. The tools and links posted here is up to date at the time of posting. So, if there is updates in the future, you guys can help to update it. I will try to edit this post if someone really need it.

Also, the guides are not from me. Most of it posted by Yen. So, big thanks for sharing all the cool methods :)
    Special manual ways for e.g. Gigabyte, MSI and Lenovo are appended at post #4 (How to mod. Phoenix bioses)

For AMI bios

For Award bios

-Manual Method, OEM7 copy and paste.
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/40509

For Phoenix bios

Update
    13/07/07
    - Added more informations about ISA methods.
    - Added Phoenix bios Method 1

26/07/07
    - Added AMI bios Method 3

11/05/08
    - Updated AMI_SLIC3_20080419 (provided by Yen) for Method 1 - Easy Auto Method

19/07/08
    - Added Award bios Easy Auto Method 2

05/12/08
    - Updated ISA modules for Award bios.

2. kt3x

kt3x MDL Member

May 1, 2007
    thanks for tuto

3. YUMYUM9x

YUMYUM9x MDL Novice

May 20, 2007
    Phoenix Bios Please :)

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #4 Yen, Jul 12, 2007
    Good idea to get all the info together:

Please make clear that the isa method works genarally. Not only for Gigabyte bioses.The pubkey / marker method mainly for Asus boards.
    But you can try both methods for ALL Award bioses.

Phoenix:

-Open bios.wph or bios.rom with Phoenix BIOS Editor
    The bios will be decompressed, all parts are in Phoenix BIOS Editor\TEMP folder now. You can open them with winhex to edit.

-Search for "SLIC" to find a already present SLIC tabe. If found DO NOT modify try to activate first. If it doesn't activate check Everest. No SLIC present at Everest, modify bios

-Copy file with slic table into Phoenix BIOS Editor\TEMP and rename it to the next higher ACPIn.ROM. (n ist the next higher acpi number).

-Open rom.scr with notepad and add a line "ACPI ACPIn.ROM -X", save it.

-Search for "RSDT" and if present "XSDT" string.
    Overwrite string next to "RSDT" and "XSDT" with your OEM table and OEM table ID you want.
    They are usually found at BIOSCOD1.ROM file. Save changes.

-To enable save button (now is gray) change something random in Phoenix BIOS Editor and restore its original value

-Save bios and check log for errors

If the bios shows log errors on rebuild, be careful testing.

Note:

There are bioses that contains slic table already, but it is not active or only mapped a half. There are built-in routines that change the OEM table id to a fixed one. It's difficult to find them and to disable.
    I'm working on this issue and found a way regarding already present SLIC. To circumvent this "problem" do this: Rename the already present SLIC to TEST by editing the SLIC string (title / name) of the ACPI table to TEST. Search for all further SLIC strings at ALL MODULES. (Found sometimes at MOD_5100.ROM) and rename it to TEST as well, except those SLIC strings that are a part of the SLIC table itself!!! Now insert a complete new SLIC table as described above. Done!
    The clue: The original table is named now TEST table and is mapped incomplete into RAM while a COMPLETE new SLIC table is mapped into RAM as well!

To circumvent the "problem" with a locked OEM table / table ID you have to disable the code that makes those fixed OEM table / table ID equal at RSDT = XSDT=SLIC or even at ALL tables. It's a routine best to find with a debugger....difficult to explain here........at Sony Vaio I never found it so far..........If somebody is interested please PM me.

Always keep in mind: Some of the mods are not working cause of this issue. Some of the mods brick Laptop without any known reason. Newer results are that it probably is caused because of PBE isn't decompressing the modules completely (data lost). To check, repeat it more times and compare the decompressed modules.........
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tutorial for superstatic V2 mod at AMI bios. Needed for some MSI boards:

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/22879

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added the LENOVO-WAY to modify IBM THINKPAD BIOSES:

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/23565

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added improved instructions for 'fast' OEM7 mod:

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/29292

New ISA method for the latest Gigabyte bioses: (Old isa method doesn't work anymore)

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/31743

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Gigabyte 0+2=0+2 instructions by Yen
    ISA mod. doesn't work and bios contains 3 sensitive modules.

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/378?page=39

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL copy and paste OEM7 method. The safest way to edit Gigabyte(Award) bioses at those ISA code don't work.
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/40509

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introducing a dynamically allocated SLIC into ASUS AMI bioses, second generation: 31/12/2008
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/46223

Modifying a Lenovo bios with new structure, not completely manually mod: 10/05/2009 Instructions and way by Yen
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/62095
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a complete manually way for Lenovo bioses with new structure, large ones 8Mbyte and bioses with no BCPs found using PBE.
    NO PBE needed at all!!

Instructions by Yen: 21/05/2009
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/63555

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. wsjam13

wsjam13 MDL Junior Member

May 18, 2007
    Iasus.bin

cannot find download link for Iasus.bin

to try method
    4a. Then, (general method for Award bios)
    Cbrom yourbios.bin /ISA Iasus.bin

could you advise where i could download it please-i have a abit ab9 quad gt board bios v1.3 -although this bios has been modded already i would like to try it myself

apologies if i have missed a post regarding this

thanks
    wsjam13

6. hellohello

hellohello MDL Junior Member

May 10, 2007
    3. Download
    http://rapidshare.com/files/41719479/NISA-ALLOEM.rar.html

In the rar files, there are various folders according to the oem. Open the Asus folder, there are 2 files if I remembered correctly. One is the cert and the other one is the .bin. You can optionally rename the .bin file to match Iasus.bin.

7. wsjam13

wsjam13 MDL Junior Member

May 18, 2007

thanks!
    i wondered if that was the case

8. hwh1226

hwh1226 MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2007
    .BIO files?

What kind of BIOS is .bio files?

9. mikea128

mikea128 MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2007
    great summary! thanks!

10. razor8

razor8 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2007
    Asus.xrm-ms?

The other file is the ASUS.XRM-MS... and
    ..I have a very stupid question:

what i have to do with this file? or witch funktion does it have?

Thanks for your help!!!

sry for bad english...:(

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    This is the corresponding certificate which you need to activate Vista after you flashed the modified bios.

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. razor8

razor8 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2007
    thanks ... how i have to use it?.... i`m stupid.. i know!

razor8

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #13 Yen, Jul 25, 2007
  14. razor8

razor8 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2007
    Thanks!!! i hope that will help!

razor8

15. razor8

razor8 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2007
    #15 razor8, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    All you need to mod your Awardbios!

hey guys....

i collected some files for Awarbios modding...Download

how to:

1: download newest bios update
    2: put it into the extraktet automod_award.asus folder.
    3: rename it to yourbios.bin.
    4: choose your methode:
    ------------------------

1. general method for Award bios:
    start patch_isa.bat

2. mainly for Asus boards:
    start patch_asus.bat

3. insert as ISA2 or as ISA3 module:
    start patch_isa3.bat

5: You can flash your physical BIOS and hope nothing goes wrong or use the Bios emulator.

6: run TweakUAC.exe to turn off uac!

7: copy your certificatefile from one of the folders (take your manuf.) to automod_award.asus and modify the OEMKey.bat like this:

Code:
    @echo off
    title OEM-KeyInster.
    cls
    pause
    echo "inserting"...
    copy yourmanuf.xrm-ms C:\   <= rename to your manuf.
    echo "inserting"......
    call slmgr.vbs -ilc c:\asus.xrm-ms   <= rename to your manuf.
    pause
    call slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx <= your OEM serial key for the installed Vista version (take the right key from Oemkey.txt)
    echo.
    echo done!
    echo.
    pause
    8: run the OEMKey.bat

9: restart system

10: done!

HAVE FUN!!!

sry for bad english!

Thanks to this great forum!!!

(not tested)

16. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Thanks for sharing this Razor8, this is useful information. It's a good thing to have scripts instead of having to type everything. :)

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    @ hellohello

Thanks for your work putting all together.

Yen

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #18 urie, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    rAzoR, Great info for patching Award Bioses well done :))but even easier way to activate system with modded bios.
    Make folder i,e, your vista dvd.
    path: SOURCES\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32\OEM\DELL.XRM-MS

example DELL.XRM-MS can be any cert you have i,e ASUS.XRM-MS and make a TXT file called PID.txt file to sources folder. example below.
    Code:
    [PID]
    Value=4GPTT-6RYC4-F4GJK-KG77H-B9HD2
    i,e, this is Dell home premium number but if you change serial number in PID.txt file to ultimate it will use that and activate :)) but thanks for the info anyway allways good to hear new methods:)

19. razor8

razor8 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2007
    thanks for this tip.... but i think that requires more time....
    because you have to modify the imagefile...(dvd)

20. korndog2003

korndog2003 MDL Novice

May 5, 2007
    Thanks guys Modded my own and it works!