Mod Your Own Bios / Discussions on BIOS Transcoding

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by hellohello, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Bump!!:):):)

Don't forget: You can mod your own;)

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Drexl

Drexl MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2007
    This might be a stupid question, but can you use your product code from your purchased OEM copy instead of one of the known keys? I'm afraid they may blacklist the known keys at some point.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hi,

the activation method that's activated against bios SLIC is called OEM SLP 2.0 activation. Therefore are royalty oem keys used. Those keys cannot be blacklisted! (Otherwise all licenses won't work anymore.) All Ultimate keys are the same.

Another activation method is with OEM keys against MS. By spreading those keys MS will blacklist them. ;)

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    If and when MS blacklists those keys, only then shall we start to worry. By that time there may be more un-blacklisted keys floating around.....

Like what Yen wrote above, MS has to think very carefully if it plans to blacklist royalty OEM keys.

But Drexl, if you use your own OEM product key to activate, then you don't need help to mod your BIOS.

I know LIFE SUCKS (to borrow an Americanism)

But look on the brighter side of things....:)

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    A purchased OEM vista dvd is not the same as a Royalty DVD, i,e if you bought a dell for example it has infomation in bios and you can use the keys posted on forum to upgrade or make your own dvd.

But if you bought normal vista OEM all this mean is you cant transfere vista from that machine to another unlike full version

6. Drexl

Drexl MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Yeah, I want to purchase an OEM version but I was just wanting to be able to swap out hardware and/or reinstall without having to call MS. I was concerned about the possibility of blacklisting keys because a couple of years ago I unknowingly bought a pirated copy of XP and at one point was no longer able to download updates. I really don't want to go through that again. However, it sounds like this will be fine with Vista because the keys belong to many users who bought a PC from Dell, HP, et al?

At the very least, I could go ahead and mod the bios and use that method for a while, then if complications arise I could just install with the personal OEM key.

One more question: which key do I choose (from Dell, Gateway, Sony, etc.)? Do I just choose any one as long as the certificate and ISA.BIN matches the key?

7. psyko12

psyko12 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2007
    This site/forum rocks, It tought me how to mod bios, and understand hexes a lil more :D plus I got vista x64 to activate :D no more mbr editing and emulation now I got a slic in my bios :D I'm glad I'm a quick learner, confused me though was the pointer, lol anyway thanks a heap forums :D

8. zzdiesel

zzdiesel MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I finally modded my own BIOS.

9. amiga

amiga MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2007
    The boards where the Asus A7N8X ver 2 the bios links where above the postings, but it is all sorted now thanks to China4Ever and Fzeven who modded them for me.

10. r4v3n

r4v3n MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2007
    I get an error that it hasn't got any space when trying to run this on ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe bios. Any ideas?

CBROM.EXE a8n.bin /SLPKey BBPUBKEY.BIN
    CBROM.EXE V1.82 [04/11/07] (C)Phoenix Technologies 2001-2007
    Adding BBPUBKEY.BIN 100.0%
    a8n.bin have not enough space for adding ROM. (Over 001Dh bytes)

11. amiga

amiga MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2007
    if the second method got to 100% with no error messages after then you should be good to go :)

12. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    well again im actually clueless..because my Bio's isn't SLIC and I understand your bios needed to be already SLIC....since this Motherboard and Bio's is fairly old and Everest shows its not.

I have a 1017 SLIC that i can flash....and i guess i could just purchase a pci ATA 133 UDMA Card...but thought I could get lucky.

but if the last two methods at 100% does add the SLIC tables into the bios..then im good...but if not...i hope someone can at least clue me in...LOL

13. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    added some more info...and suggestion

I think because my 1016 Bios was modded by lumberjack it was basically 'fubar' with coding or its the CBROM 1.82....but after i used method 2 and then used the /d switch...it now shows the following..that wasn't there before (RED).

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\CBROM>cbrom 1016.bin /d
    cbrom V1.82 [04/11/07] (C)Phoenix Technologies 2001-2007

******** 1016.bin BIOS component ********

No. Item-Name Original-Size Compressed-Size Original-File-Name
    ================================================================================ 0.
    System BIOS 8CED0C35h(2308931.00K)4B69AE59h(123556☺3╢C<á╠@∩`¥│Lzr╟√â#_αX∙aΩ¿▒≤ï
    Lτ‼│3^Ä►⌠b⌠¿'
    1. SLP2.0 KEY 0009Ch(0.15K) 000C4h(0.19K) bbpubkey.bin
    2. SLP2.0 MARKER 00200h(0.50K) 00228h(0.54K) bbmarker.bin

Total compress code space = 4B6BAE59h(1235691.59K)
    Total compressed code size = 4B69B145h(1235564.32K)
    Remain compress code space = 1FD14h(127.27K)

** Micro Code Information **
    Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID
    ------------------+--------------------+--------------------+-------------------

so to you experts..should this be good to go?

14. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    Too Risky ?

I bricked a board once ! Had flashing problems. $400+ to fix. I was wondering how I can flash Phoenix (.wph) file in DOS instead of Windows Vista. Can't figure out command line. Don't trust Windows method.
    Anyone try this for
    Compaq Presario R4125CA Notebook

15. x87bliss

x87bliss MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2007
    Oops, nevermind. I just bricked my laptop :-X

Is there anyway to repair it? Is replacing Mobo only option - or is there a way I can fix just bios?

Current state is plugging it in turns on all the fans. "Turning it on" makes the power light orange and the whole screen turn grey. "Turning it off" makes the power light really dim orange. Unfortunately it broke on the first flash, and I could not rerun the program with the original ROM, since right after the flash everything on the laptop (including keyboard) stopped working.

Oh well, I deserved that, lol.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007