Moderation and censorship at virtual forums. [Discussion]

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Garp _McGarpington, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    No, it isn't. But what else can one expect from you...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #82 John Sutherland, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Oh, you're breathlessly waiting for a response? Sorry to keep you waiting. Try this on for size:

First of all, you're all carrying on like a bunch of 10 year olds. "Mom! He called me names!". "Yea, but he called me names first!". For Christ's sake, get over it. Grow a f**kin' pair and start acting like adults. If you can't handle that, then you're probably developmentally disabled, and there isn't much I or anyone else on the forum can do for you.

Second, the moderators run the forum and the rules are the rules. This isn't a democracy, there is no constitution, there are no lawyers. Don't start a thread to complain about it and start whining like a little girl. Don't appeal to the other members to side with you. PM the mod you have a beef with and work it out with them. And if you don't like the results, you're free to leave. Just don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Third, you should all fall on your knees and thank God I'm not a moderator. I would have shut this thread down a long time ago, and I'd probably have suspended a couple of your asses for a minimum of six months.

Also, @ipx, I'm not waiting for a reply from you over this, because I personally don't give a rat's ass about what you have to say to me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I'm still :popcorn:

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Wow...:)

Firstly I want to mention again that this thread remains special...in the way that I leave it unmoderated. It does not affect another topic and does not clutter up there...
    What I can clearly notice is that there are different ideas (personal) about moderating. This is as expected. I spoke of the own personality a forum gets by its moderation team.

We have a hidden moderator lounge where we discuss the major things.
    Anyway moderating certain posts is done by individuals. There is no time to discuss each post before it can be moderated.

I have picked this post, because it addresses what I want to add here....

Looking at my reported posts counter it raised to 10 (from the last time I logged in). This is normal. (No worries this thread is not affected (yet)).:D;)
    The counter does not only count reported posts which are reported by forums member. There are also reports from the xenforo system. Spam detection, banned members that try to rejoin etc etc.

This is every day's work.
    And we have a real life. Every day is different and we are making decisions every day.

That what is 'left' so it can be subject of a discussion at all is only a small percentage.

Actually I do not allow people to troll. But the own personal point of view what is trolling is perhaps different.

Or there are posts we simply have overlooked. And the way I do moderate is rather tolerant than restrictive compared to the other MDL team members. With all its pros and cons.

One cannot separate duty and power. It is not possible by design. A virtual forum has own attributes different from real life and real life conditions.

-The team has elevated rights in order to do the duty and by that more power
    -We actually have never conversations in real time
    -What's 'spoken' is stored at first place
    -Forums are strictly categorized. Threads have their headline

Anything ever will be a personal point of view. When a moderator is doing his job he makes decisions. He is realizing his personal idea in the sense to do a good job for a forum he is attracted to.
    He is realizing a personal idea of how a good forum should be.

And explanation fails there where one expect consensus by it. I tried that a lot.

And when you have a strict idea of how a thread should be, you have to moderate a lot. When you apply tight limits you are excluding. Those being excluded (by deletion / moderation of contents) then have their own arguments asking : Why me?"

It's an endless story.

When I came to MDL 2007 the forums owner has set up the category 'beautiful life' already.

I myself like it and I think it is important to have this category even though MDL is a tech forum.
    And finally it's all about the perspective. MDL runs actually very fine..but when involved in a certain thread and it gets emotional ..it seems it becomes the only 'big thing' of the forums...

MDL is 'just' a forum. It's fun and I love it, but its significance is relative in life. (Anyway I spend a lot of my 'online time' here) :)

Oh and about "..who are you to judge me ? :) To punish me ....... in public ?"

Not that I even don't know what you exactly mean...I do not judge YOU. I make decisions about posts, also your posts. I should have punished you? Umm cannot remember at all...there is absolutely no reason for that..:)

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It's not about that. It's about you guys breaking your own rules by leaving nasty posts to stand and taking constructive, rational posts down. Some of these nasty posts were reported, even...

That is why it is important to ask questions before pulling the proverbial trigger.

But as you say, power and duties are going together.

And sometimes they are a curse...

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I do not deny that there are inconsistencies in applying the rules (besides of own personal interpretation of the other one). Everyday there are new posts all the years...it's a matter of time until that happens...
    Goal is to avoid those as best as possible, but a total exclusion is not possible.
    Even in real life court decisions are questioned...if laws are applied 'rightly'..

Asking questions before pulling the proverbial trigger is important. I am not one of those admins staying in background...I am frequently here and try to interact actively by posting.

Yes they are sometimes a curse. I posted: Sometimes I wish just being a 'member' joining discussions without the admin job behind.

But there is also another important thing: The way how we are dealing which each others.

You cannot find a post where I have insulted another one. I try to be respectful and polite. I can be concrete, perhaps provocative, sarcastic, ironic, stubborn...but..
    The 'worst' thing I posted to a member recently was: Either your English is not good enough to have got it rightly what somebody said, or...you are an idiot.

I thought a lot about after if I should not edit it...

..also I cannot comprehend how things are repeating..people sometimes lose focus on the actual matter and are falling back.
    They do categorize people and create an enemy image. "I know exactly the way you are...." and that seemingly needs to be fought...

(Gladly used are 'political directions' ...left, right and also categorized as adherents of typical governments).

No it has not to be fought, because it does not belong to the thread where it happens! That's the point. And it should be allowed to moderate there without to make a political statement BY the moderation itself.
    Most of moderation that is done is simply removing off topic contents.

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Well, in this case, as has been well documented, we can deal with facts and factually see who started what.

To hold people at the receiving end responsible for other people's nasty insults and provocations and not allow them to respond - or delete their posts but leave the offending ones standing (even though some have been reported) - is a serious fault on the part of your Team.

If one wants to maintain the highest standards - we are usually seeing you uphold and we rightly want to see that class act continue - the Team must keep doing it and when one finds stuff that was not up to scratch, then talk about it (hence this thread is a good way of going about it and I for one applaud it).

At the same time, one needs to be mature and take it on the chin, understand one is Human and hence flawed, then reset to a better setup, I guess:

Rules
    Triggering levels
    Procedures

...need to be agreed and acted upon... If in doubt - talk, communicate, agree through a good procedure.

I find this is a good investment for the future "events" as well, as the machine gets "warmed up" and "oiled" through all this... I've been doing this for more than 20 years now, mostly in Sat TV hobby but...

I don't see any other reasonable options, quite frankly. If this is not generally like this, it is just a question of time before nasty power games are played out, things stagnate and start going backwards. This is how and when good projects die...

9. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    And I'm still not done yet. You guys are clueless. Completely and absolutely clueless. You have no idea just how lucky you are to be members here at MDL. You think you can do whatever you want, say whatever you want, insult people, rip people apart like a pack of wild dogs, and that's because there are never any consequences to your actions. Zero. So as a result, time and time again, a thread like this one starts off with the best of intentions and ends up turning into a big steaming pile of s**t. Let me tell you something, I belong to four other forums besides MDL, and believe me, you would never get away with this kind of s**t on any of them. Most of the of posts you see on this thread would be gone in 5 minutes, along with the member(s) responsible for them. Guaranteed. It would never be tolerated.

Another thing. Don't any of you realize this is an open forum? Anyone on the internet can read what goes on here. When you do this, you not only make yourselves look bad, you every other member of this forum look bad. It's f**king embarrassing for the rest of us, it really is.

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It's actually the strength of this forum, if one thinks a bit harder... The fact that licking boots is not required is its greatest asset!

It's why we appreciate it! It's why it's worth fighting for. And some of us actually try to be constructive...

11. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
  12. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    This isn't about licking anyone's boots. It's about treating other members with respect, regardless of how strongly you might disagree with them. And just because you might think you're smarter than somebody else (always debatable), it doesn't give you the right to call someone an idiot.

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Perhaps if you directed that at the correct persons, who did that all the time, as well documented in this thread, one might agree with you.

Since you are not, I would stay with my previous statements, thank you...

14. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/about-donald-trump.74987/page-3#post-1391922

15. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    & a racist too :

[​IMG]

16. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  17. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    the title of the thread is moderation & censorship so am just highlighting posts which going by the rules should have no place on this forum.

it just happens that all the nasty posts are from the same misogynist, racist, advocate of wife-beating who would not even spare a handicapped but genius scientist.

you choose not to condemn your friend & that is your choice / compulsion / prerogative & i respect your decisions.

you also have no clue how to defend your pal after all the venom he has puked so you choose to hit below the belt, i understand & sympathize.

18. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    #98 Bat.1, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  19. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    we both know you are trivializing.

would you be fair enough to answer in a yes / no :

do you endorse the posts made by @Joe C ?

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Please do not feed these trolls. If you give them any attention by making any reply's they will not go back and hide in their little caves from where they hatched from.