Motherboard Problem?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ThomasMann, Jun 2, 2018.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I meant: I have an old PS2 keyboard which I used for testing, I use a regular (MS) USB one

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #22 Yen, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Since you could not enter it by pressing a key <DEL> ultra/fastboot is enabled or your PS/2 keyboard is not initialized by your current settings.
    When entered with the windows utility can't you navigate with a native PS/2 keyboard only?

(Actually you should reset to default to make a proper approach, but that presumes that you know the original setup in detail to reapply)...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yah good job bro

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I suspect the Legacy setting may have changed, after installing USB drivers...
    But... how can I get a keyboard to navigate on an ASRock page?

5. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Maybe your system as a Discreet GPU with a UEFI bios, in my opinion you should remove the GPU and boot to access the bios screen.

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #26 Joe C, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Thank you, Enthousiast
    Using the PS2 keyboard I got into the Bios, and as I wrote Fast boot is NOT enabled, CSM and Legacy are-
    That is good, but why can I no longer use the USB keyboard to get there, which has worked for five years?

So the PS2 keyboard will allow me to install Win7Ulti from the DVD until the driver for the mouse is installed?
    I have yet to install Win7 without an incident that made me ask for help from my second computer, which sadly enough has died a few weeks ago

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #29 Yen, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    You could at that point, but it's not yet needed....

The w7 installation DVD only boots when pressing a key in time (as prompted). It skips to the second device if not pressed...

Let's say you have changed the boot priority at the BIOS and have saved the changes
    Boot order new:

1 DVD
    2 Your system drive (SSD)

First boot: Press a key in time in order to run the setup from DVD

At reboot during installation press nothing....it'll skip

After the installation has completed change it back to your original boot order.

1. your system drive
    2. DVD

Therefore you have to enter the BIOS again and to change boot priority.

OR:
    You don't change anything at the BIOS settings and enter the boot sequence menu (by pressing the corresponding F-key..at my BIOS it's F8) where you can choose the device which should boot this time once...
    Choose DVD and press a key to run the setup from DVD

At next (re)boot it uses the original boot order from BIOS settings unless you change it...

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, but the second version is the one that started the problem as the F keys do not work. But the software that Joe C mentions works, so initially I can set to boot from DVD. "Yes, that app will auto reset itself to the "off" once you reboot back into windows...." will that allow the complete installation before booting into tha jalf installed Win7?
    That question is about the rebootings that the install DVD does on its own, will the motherboard reboot the DVD when needed, and stop rebooting from the DVD once it is not needed? That I can change the boot order back is clear, I am talking about the automatic booting the DVD will do...

10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    If you are having problem doing Windows installation on that system due to some thing you couldn't forestall I would suggest you use another system to do the installation and move the hard disk to the one having issue after completing the Windows installation. After that you can troubleshoot other minor issues which might come up.

11. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    This is the only desktop computer I own... ;-)

12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    My mind never even went there. Nevertheless, you can still ask a friend politely to use their desktop to do the Windows installation.

There is nothing wrong in learning if you intend to keep on trying. Perhaps, you will find a solution if you try harder.

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #34 Yen, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    As mentioned....the boot priority is managed by the BIOS.

When you change the boot order and the DVD is set to first device (by saving the settings within the BIOS <F10>) it'll always boot the DVDs bootmanager first. BUT the bootmanager of the win setup of the DVD requires a keystroke in time otherwise it'll skip to the next device.

To start the windows setup from DVD at all you need to hit a key in time and one time. All the following reboots need to be from the target device where windows should be installed to. This means you simply hit nothing anymore until windows has been installed.

DVD boot priority:1
    Target drive of win installation:2

Does it boot from DVD in fact? Only when you hit a key in time otherwise it'll skip booting from it.
    The motherboard does not know 'it'. It behaves strictly and boots the bootmanager of the DVD. You decide by keystroke.

14. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Yen.... I must have installed Win7 a dozen times on my and other computers....and have written that a few times. The problem came up this time, because hitting F2 or F11 for the first gives NO reaction. This I can change with ASRocks software... with out which NO installation would be possible at all.
    During the installation of Win 7 I was not clear if I get another question, when the process reboots. You just answered that question. Thank you.

There are by now 35 answers, I am sure all well meaning, but less than half have to do with my question, one even was so helpful to accuse me of lying!

So, thank you for answering the question I actually did ask.

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Just :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ps, at one time i know you had a running windows, why not booted into bios (with the tool) and set the ultrafast/fast boot to SLOW or OFF?

When it is turned off, the F-Keys will work.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You're welcome. I am glad I could be of help, finally.
    As scientific admin at work I know it's sometimes just a communication issue. Communicating without to be live there is even harder especially at weird issues.

If you have any further questions in the future. MDL is there. :)

17. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, but the bad news is, it is on off....
    I also switched it on and off again, but still no reaction to the F keys.
    (And I did test this keyboard on another computer)( and the PS2 keyboard on this computer, it works inside the MB settings, but not with the F-keys)

18. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  19. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    You should reflash the bios maybe it solves you´re strange problem!