MSI Wind/MEDION/AKOYA MINI BIOS MOD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tulisan, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Tulisan

Tulisan MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2007
    #1 Tulisan, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #2 Yen, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tulisan

Apr 25, 2007
    #3 Tulisan, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
    (OP)
    I did as you instructed but after I dragged the VistaActivation.cmd into Vista's start up folder, it shows a file not found after it gets executed. So I just created a shortcut key and put it in the startup folder instead. Vista is activated using Medion's cert.

Will this procedure help mod the BIOS or this is just a similar patch much like the VistaLoader 2.1.3 I was using?

Also, you said
    What should I look for since it's a mixed MSI and MEDION? And do you still want me to proceed with the hwdirect?

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I’ve tried to analyse the structure of the bios, but I was not able to find the start and end of a module. IMO it isn’t possible to make a bios mod this time.

So the solution is a softmod. Since there is a SLIC at acpi namespace already, you can patch the RSDT, XSDT and SLIC. This is different to other softmod methods, which emulate the SLIC completely.

At MSI wind bios the SLIC comes from the bios, the OEM and OEM table ID are patched by rw. This is the way you would modify the bios if you are able to decompress it.

This method is applicable for ALL bioses which contain a SLIC already (empty one, or unusable one). I assume that the other softmods are not working since there is a SLIC already……..

The question is if the MSI Wind Laptop comes with Vista preinstalled already. I don’t know if there is a matching cert. available. But why should MSI program a SLIC into the bios without to plan to use SLP2.0?
    We need access to such a machine……

Yes, a Hwdirect dump is interesting anyway. But as I said, I don’t expect much news about………

I know this solution here is not the best, but it is working. This method will also work at HP / Compaq bioses at Notebooks. Therefore you need the *.ats report of AcpiScope to write the batch file. For each model you need a unique batch file.

Credits go to: reginakampher, the creator of the approach and vladman, who has found the proper tools.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tulisan

Apr 25, 2007
    Hi Yen. Too bad a BIOS mod is not possible at this time. That's ok however. Maybe if we get enough info on the BIOS, or MSI releases an update on the BIOS, we can try it again.

The MSI Wind comes preinstalled with windows xp. It's one of the type wherein you at first boot up, it sets up everything and no activation is necessary. Maybe that's where the SLIC was used for.

Also, while I was waiting for a modder to take notice of my request, I tried using VistaLoader 2.1.3 (the silent type) as well as version 3.0.0.1. Both worked ok and when looked using everest, it completely emulated the BIOS with ASUS, even though there is already a SLIC table present in my BIOS.

I would love to use your soft mod but I would rather use the VistaLoader for now since I didn't need to install another app for it to run. Thanks for the soft mod though. I would surely use it if ever the VistaLoader won't work on my Vista.

Thanks for the time and effort you put into this. I definitely appreciate it a lot. :)

6. flagmax

flagmax MDL Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Hi, yes, please post a dump from hwdirect. It could help with disassembling.

7. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    It is very interesting that Vistaloader worked on your PC while it does not work on other computers with unmapped or partially mapped SLIC. Then again, your SLIC may be a special case as it is fully mapped, although it is somewhat like a "hybrid" SLIC. Hmmmmm........

8. Tulisan

Apr 25, 2007
    Yeah, I was surprised too that it worked knowing that it already has SLIC when checked using Everest.

@flagmax,

Sure, I'll post a hwdirect dump after I restore my Vista image on it. It has xp on it right now since I am testing an nlited version of xp that I just created.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #9 Yen, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
    Yes, very interesting. At this case I would use Vistaloader as well.

IMO Medion will sell Vista preinstalled in the future as well, because they have a RSA code from medion (public key and marker) inside already.

To differentiate it they will change the OEM ID'S to MEDIONMEDIONAG, which will match to the cert.
    They could check the present bios for the OEM ID's and decide what part of bios will be updated.....to provide a matching "hybrid" cert. isn't clever.

Just my thoughts.............

@flagmax

The dump area is the bios ROM area, so the code of the bios is still compressed there and needs also to be decompressed. There is probably no need to reverse the code since we "just" need to change the OEM ID's, nothing more.........the problem is how to decompress and rebuild that bios, the way to modify it is clear and proven already.....

10. Tulisan

Apr 25, 2007
    Yen, how about using Medion's BIOS from the links I posted above instead of MSI's BIOS, then just use MEDION's cert, would that work? I'm not sure though of they are the same but some users who flashed the medion's bios on their msi say that they now see the medion's name instead of msi when booting up.

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I have compared the both bioses, they a really different. But it's the same new structure, so I cannot get if there is another OEM ID.

To figure it out you have to flash it and to have a look at the *.ats report again.
    If the OEM ID at SLIC, RSDT / XSDT is MEDIONMEDIONAG instead of it'll activate, yes.......
    also you have to check if your OEM XP stays activated....... strange that they are providing two different bioses with the same version number.......is the medion bios made for Vista activation??? ..cannot believe it.......but since it works it's worth to give a try........

12. Tulisan

Apr 25, 2007
    #12 Tulisan, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  13. Tulisan

Apr 25, 2007
  14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #14 Yen, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
    Wow. One buggy one for Vista and one for XP, never thought that! The Advent 4211 is different to both others, so we've got 3 different bioses now.

1. Medion
    Medion SLIC data with MEDIONMEDIONAG (right ID), no MSI OEM SLP1.0 string. There is probably another string for OEM SLP1.0 present (Medion?) You can scan for it and use a other OEM version of XP to activate additionally if another string was found.

2.MSI
    MSI ID, but Medion SLIC data (public key / marker), plus MSI SLP1.0 string for XP activation.

3. Advent 4211
    MSI ID, what SLIC data, what OEM SLP1.0 string??

Two questions I cannot answer. We need tools for these new AMI bioses, or to know about the modules header.... I had a look at it again. I'll think about next days, I've got the feeling the compression algorithm hasn't changed.

You said the Advent 4211 bios has got MSI Megabook as SLIC. You mean the OEM ID only, because otherwise it would activate with MSI cert.

Have you tried that?

IMO the best is to wait for a new Medion bios, without bugs.

Btw: A 'hybrid' cert. to activate is impossible to create. Therefore M$ has to change the activation algorithm.

At the second part of SLIC (public marker) you always find OEM ID, followed by 'WINDOWS ' again:

E.g. at MSI SLIC, you find: 'MSI_NBMEGABOOKWINDOWS ', for Medion 'MEDIONMEDIONAGWINDOWS '.

This ID, the ID of SLIC (header) AND the ID of RSDT /XSDT must be the same by rule. This I've missed.

What about the HwDirect dump? It's even better to dump it from XP (MSI bios running).

15. Tulisan

Apr 25, 2007
    #15 Tulisan, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
    (OP)
    I only took a glance at the SLIC table and I didn't see quite much except where it says MSI_NB MEGABOOK. It didn't activate Vista with MSI cert also that's why I think its SLIC table is only for XP though I didn't look anymore if it also activates the XP install.

Although Vista activates using the Medion Bios, I don't think the errors are actual "bugs" coz I read in their forum that Medion Akoya mini is using another brand of bluetooth.

I'm also not sure if Medion Akoya has a memory expansion slot like the MSI maybe that's why it doesn't detect the additional RAM, because it's not programmed in the bios.

I can do the hwdirect dump. The MSI bios it the one currently running so I just have to restore my xp image file on another partition and set it active. I'll attach the results here.

16. cheangjc

cheangjc MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2008
  17. will5

will5 MDL Senior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Any news on wind bios?

I can help in some way, like report info, etc :)

18. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    #19 reginakampher, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
    Can you provide a .ats report from ACPIScope?

19. will5

will5 MDL Senior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    sure, here you have
    :)

Please, If there is more I an do, please tell me, I have to return the wind in some days :)

Attached Files: