MSMG ToolKit to Convert W8.1/Srv 2012 R2 RTM/GA ISO - W8.1/Srv 2012 R2 Update 1 ISO

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by MSMG, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breach

Breach MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Great job. Now, any clue what kb2938439 and kb2939087 do (as they're not part of the Wzor release/instructions)? If WU is [was] pushing them I guess better have them, but still any idea?

2. gururoop

gururoop MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #102 gururoop, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    For people with install.esd, I tried converting install.esd to install.wim by doing the following:

1. Installed Windows to a VHD
    2. Sysprep-ed the installation in VHD
    3. Attached this VHD in Disk Management console
    4. Compressed it using imagex and this command at command prompt:
    imagex /compress maximum /capture X: C:/install.wim "Windows 8.1 Pro"
    where X stands for the drive letter corresponding to the greater partition of VHD.
    5. Replaced install.esd from MSMG Toolkit folder with install.wim and followed steps 1, 2 and 3 in order.

The ISO was created without any errors, but I still haven't tried installing from it and I see no reason why it should not install. Will update this post if I am successful. Maybe OP can include this little guide if it works.

3. geobot

geobot Guest

Do you think this will work?
    Using DISM:
    1. Apply install.esd to an empty drive.
    2. Capture and compress that drive as install.wim.
    3. Replace the install.esd with install.wim

4. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes indeed you can include dart but you need to make changes for winpeshl.ini for winre.wim and boot.wim, I have added these functions to my main toolkit, where the dart tools can be accessed when the repair menu is choose from setup screen and the dart gets boots straight away with winre.wim

yes I can make changes and use only one script ok will make changes and also about the winre.wim, ya it's almost the same thing, we can add the updates just once and copy it over and over again to different install.wim file.

yes permissions are one problem, where the actual winre.wim resides, its in hidden format, although it gets serviced by dism and gets exported to new file but you try to overwrite the original winre.win with the exported one using he xcopy command it just skips, but if you use the move command it just copies easily.

one more thing is I have to move the startcomponentcleanup and resetbase section to the start if I have to have ready copy of updated winre.wim file to be copied to other install.wim, but this is a good idea I will make changes.

then one more thing, I have issue with the loop used for checking whether the user has selected any particular index or have selected * for all indexes, the problem is the loop works perfectly for mounting, integrating, committing changes and unmounting, rebuilding wim images but when I use the loop for extracting the cab, where I need to check for each wim index architecture, the loop fails as the function I have used to get the wim architecture of the wimindex. although the function GetWimArch gets the wimindex architecture but it won't gets applied in the line expand .msu files, can you check the loop what's going on wrong. coz only if this loop works then the script will work for multi-arch AIO install.wim

5. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    yes it works and its called old method, now the dism can apply the .esd file to a folder, thew we can use the dism to capture the folder to a new install.wim and later work on it and this is the easiest way.

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    DaRT 8.1 works for both of these. I've personally tested it.
    To actually get into the winre version you have to restart into repair options (shutdown /r /o)
    Then you have to do the advanced startup options (think that's what it's called, where it lists 10 choices including safe mode etc)
    When you boot into the startup options you choose 10
    Then you're in the winre environment

DaRT is found in the usual spot "Troubleshooting"

I think the issue with the windows\system32\recovery is that it's in a system folder
    Short of doing icacls commands I'm not sure there's much to do except move the file before working on it; like you were saying.

7. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    yes dart works for both winre version but I didn't get correct changes for winpeshl.ini for winre.wim

and then after some testing I could make the recovery mode to directly boot to dart menu without those usual menus it appears when you boot to windows recovery mode.

8. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    What I'm really interested in is getting the DaRT into the (shutdown /r /o) version...
    Though I guess you wouldn't exactly be able to do offline servicing if you were still using the system hahah

9. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    need to check out, coz I don't use windows recovery mode at all as I do remove it with unattend.xml, instead I use r-drive image if anything goes wrong with my system for restoring.

10. gururoop

Aug 12, 2012
    you know what? i just gave this command a shot in the dark:

DISM /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:C:\install.esd /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:C:\install.wim /DestinationName:"Windows 8.1" /Compress:recovery

and guess what? it worked! it gave me install.wim of exactly the same size as install.esd and also it gives me an option to select image when i select option 2 in the toolkit. let's see if this would work.

11. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    /Compress:recovery is only for .esd format not for install.wim

12. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Congratulations, you now have an install.esd file incorrectly named.

13. gururoop

Aug 12, 2012
    i know that now. i tried running step 2 which returned errors. actually, i'm just a noob learning by trial and error method. thanks for your valuable guidance.

14. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I just pulled the install.wim out of MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT was easier than wasting time installing the OS.

15. d16

d16 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2012
    not working for me,shows error
    An error occurred trying to open - C:\w81u1\Temp\CABS\Windows8.1-KB2919355-x64.c
    ab Error: 0x80070003

16. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    I had the same issue, make sure that all the updates are named correctly, see screenshot....

Capture.PNG

17. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    iv got the same error. is it because dism is looking for the KB . I see the updates are kb...lower case???

18. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    no my issue was that the downloaded updates where named like the screenshot below, so i renamed them as said above...

Capture.PNG

19. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    i see... all my updates end with a long string.lol
    windows8.1-kb2939087-x64_89d4949cd698c645c7a6e96a012eecab44d5c5e1

ill try again thanks;)