1. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    A few notes on previous, misleading posts:

- Apply changes DOES NOT do cleanup on the install wim, it still has to be done manually
    - You DONT have to unmount and remount, all steps can be done in a single pass
    - The install.wim comes out to big because you didn't do cleanup/resetbase
    - The reason we integrate .Net framework 3.5 as the las step is because it creates pending actions, preventing a cleanup
    - If you removed stuff and done things the right way, your wim will come out at a similar size compared to the original.

Cheers.

2. cometti

cometti MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2015
    Hi fellas...

Any chance to put a option to disable a new setup installation or silent install? Thxxx

3. hiepbg

hiepbg MDL Junior Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello,

@MSMG: Can you make an option like "Remove all apps except Store & Xbox app" (a real one), and move Xbox & gaming component to Advanced components?. I want to keep Xbox app to update driver and firmware for my controller. Thank you!

4. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    That's why I do suggest a two step servicing

First Step :

- Mount
    - Integrate LP/Drivers
    - Integrate Features (Excluding NETFX35)
    - Integrate Updates (If required as in RS2 the updates can be installed later and it won't restore the removed features)
    - Remove Components
    - Apply (This will do Cleanup with Resetbase and Save and Unmount)

Second Step :

- Mount
    - Integrate .NETFX35
    - Remove Manual Setup (If required to reduce the size further)
    - Apply (This Won't do Cleanup due to pending xml)
    - Rebuild
    - Export to ESD if you want to further reduce the size

5. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Sorry, There's two less space and options for more menus in the menu section and that's why I'm not adding more menus, Better wait for the Gui version.

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I'm not seeing where I can remove "Home" in the WIM manager, I just get this message

===============================================================================
    MSMG ToolKit - WIM Manager
    ===============================================================================

Source OS is Selected, Please choose Save/Discard from "Apply" Main Menu...
    Press any key to continue . . .

7. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    You cant' use WIM Manager when the source is selected, do Apply the Source and then use the WIM Manager.

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks, just waiting on it unmounting everything atm, guessed that might be the case

What is this "Manual Setup" you say to remove to further reduce size? What is the function of Manual setup?

And do you have any idea why my last attempt created a 39GB Windows folder on a clean install?

9. oceansalt

oceansalt MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2017
    Dear MSMG,

Thank you for this toolkit. I have one or two suggestions:

* The D3DCompiler_47.dll file for \Packs\DirectX9c\DirectX9c.tpk
    * Multi-select feature one line ABCDEF.... and/or "All Apps, Expect Store and Feedback" section for Remove Apps

And: Deleting '[DELETED]' folder in the WIM for :RebuildSource and :SaveSource part

Why and how?

DISM keeps the integrated original files from the update (MSU/CAB) in the [DELETED] folder After /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase when /Commit and/or /Apply-Image. For example:

Code:
    DISM /Mount-Image /ImageFile:"D:\WindowsISO\sources\install.wim" /Index:1 /MountDir:"D:\Mount" /Optimize
    DISM /Image:"D:\Mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"D:\Windows10.0-KB4015583-x64.cab" /LogPath:"D:\WIM-DISM-CAB.log"
    DISM /Image:"D:\Mount" /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    DISM /Unmount-Image /MountDir:D:\mount /Commit
    DISM /Cleanup-Wim

Now, If you look in the boot.wim and install.wim with 7-Zip, you can see a folder called the [DELETED]. The original of the integrated new files are stored here. So unnecessarily the size of re-creating ISO is more bigger. I'm using the wimlib to delete this folder:

Code:
    wimlib-imagex update "D:\WindowsISO\sources\install.wim" 1 --verbose --rebuild --force --command="delete '[DELETED]'"
    wimlib-imagex update "D:\WindowsISO\sources\boot.wim" 1 --verbose --rebuild --force --command="delete '[DELETED]'"

10. daveo76

daveo76 MDL Expert

Nov 9, 2009
    Multi-select is not possible for a command tool. You have to wait until MSMG releases a GUI Toolkit

11. kronflux

kronflux MDL Member

May 11, 2011
    D3DCompiler_47.dll is a DirectX SDK resource, and is not intended to be installed with DirectX itself - if/when a game or application requires it, the intent is for the developer to distribute the DLL alongside their application.

To quote Microsoft:
    I can also say from personal experience with literally hundreds of games over many years, that I've -never- run into a situation where I needed to obtain this particular file.

12. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Choosing Remove Manual Setup will remove all the files/folders related to do In-Place Upgrade/Setup from within the Windows and also it removes the support and other folders like sxs.

The only files/folders that will be left are

Code:
    bootmgr
    bootmgr.efi
    setup.exe
    \boot
    \efi
    \sources\<MUI-Folder>\setup.exe
    \sources\boot.wim
    \sources\gatherosstate.exe
    \sources\EI.cfg
    \sources\install.wim
    \sources\lang.ini
    \sources\setup.exe

Then, you can only install the OS by booting from the Install Media.

So far I haven't got any issues with installing the OS, don't know why some people are getting this 39GB limitation when doing clean installing.

13. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    1) Copying D3DCompiler_47.dll to the DirectX9c pack will create problems as W8/81/10 OS contains this file.

So, I have made changes to the ToolKit to integrate the update (KB4019990) for Windows 7, while integrating NetFX47.

2) Sorry I can't add more choices to the menu right now due to lack of space for menu so better wait for the GUI version.

3) Rebuilding (Export) will remove those DELETED folders.