1. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    Well, I'm flown to do some deployment over the weekend, but I could try to do it Sunday... but its unfair to make you to ready things for my sakes, especially if i can help it. Hehe.

2. windows builder

windows builder MDL Guru

Sep 13, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. boo123

boo123 MDL Member

Sep 20, 2013
    #9505 boo123, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    I just used the toolkit 9.1 and received errors from sfc /scannow using the dvd Windows Enterprise LTSC 2019 dvd SW_DVD5_WIN_ENT_LTSC_2019_64-bit_English_MLF_X21-96425.

I added edge to the windows 10 enterprise ltsc 2019 and removed the following below.

DeviceLockdown
    WindowsReaderPDF
    UnifiedTelemetryClient

window updates i integrate
    Windows10.0-KB4480116-x64
    windows10.0-kb4480979-x64_e29e228e115d23a003d88ac9fe23a35c582a24f9
    Windows10.0-KB4480056-x64
    Windows10.0-KB4470788-x64

4. Yanta

Yanta MDL Senior Member

May 21, 2017
    #9506 Yanta, Jan 18, 2019
    Games Explorer (Shell:games) was removed in W10-1803. Microsoft are trying to force people to use Store instead. So WinSAT is now largely irrelevant.

I am doing one final test - starting from scratch and customizing the image fully how I want it. If that works then, assuming you can confirm my methodology is correct then yes it is Media Player removal that is breaking Audio in the games.

I also found that removing Kernel Debugger also broke the audio. I'm going to test that again because I find that unusual.

The breaking of audio in these games seems inconsistent. Or if there is a pattern I can't find it. I just recreated an image removing only Cortana, defender, telemetry and store and no audio.

I've spent the better part of two weeks playing with this, essentially to the exclusion of more important tasks, like a laptop that won't update. We are also probably one of very few people who even play these games. It's just not worth the effort. If anyone wants to play these types of games there are bound to be free third party games available.

Don't put in any time trying to solve it. I'm giving up. I'm a week behind in other things.

Step 1: Build Base image: 1,1 \ 3,2,1 \ 3,2,2 \ 3,2,3 \ 3,3,B \ 3,3,L \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] --OK--
    Step 2: Remove safe apps: 1,1 \ 4,1,1,ALL \ 4,1,2,ALL \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] [Build ISO] [Install & Test] --OK--
    Step 3: Remove Adv Comp1: 1,1 \ 4,1,3 \ A,B,D,E,F \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] [Build ISO] [Install & Test] --OK--
    Step 4: Remove Adv Comp2: 1,1 \ 4,1,3 \ G,H,I,J,M \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] [Build ISO] [Install & Test] --OK--
    Step 5: Remove Adv Comp3: 1,1 \ 4,1,3 \ O,P,R,S,T \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] [Build ISO] [Install & Test] --OK--
    Step 6: Remove Adv Comp4: 1,1 \ 4,1,3 \ U,X,Z,1,3,4,5 \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] [Build ISO] [Install & Test] --OK--
    Step 7: Remove Adv Comp5: 1,1 \ 4,1,3 \ C,K,N,Q,V,W,Y \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] [Build ISO] [Install & Test] --FAIL--

Now rolling back to WIM from step 6 and removing remaining components one at a time

Step 8: Remove Adv Comp6: 1,1 \ 4,1,3 \ W (WMP) \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] [Build ISO] [Install & Test] --FAIL--
    Step 9: Remove Adv Comp7: 1,1 \ 4,1,3 \ C (CEIP) \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] [Build ISO] [Install & Test] --OK--
    Step A: Remove Adv Comp8: 1,1 \ 4,1,3 \ V (WER) \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] [Build ISO] [Install & Test] --OK--
    Step B: Remove Adv Comp9: 1,1 \ 4,1,3 \ Q (SNIP) \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] [Build ISO] [Install & Test] --OK--
    Step C: Remove Adv Comp9: 1,1 \ 4,1,3 \ K (KDEBUG) \ 6,1 \ 6,2 \ 6,1 \ 7,1 [Backup WIM] [Build ISO] [Install & Test] --FAIL--

Photo Viewer, Winsat, Manual setup are the only components never removed.

5. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Glad I'm not removing Media Player then, I do use it once in a while, not going with a different provider on that.

6. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    #9508 biatche, Jan 19, 2019
    MSMG: i did not touch the mentioned packages in any way and i have sfc /scannow errors..

update: might be due to modified notepad.exe ; ultraux and deleted .lnk shortcuts.

7. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Does it matter? I haven't used sfc /scannow in years.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Windows 10 User

Windows 10 User MDL Expert

Feb 2, 2017
    #9510 Windows 10 User, Jan 19, 2019
    Could you tell me what's the difference of downloading an ISO with the latest CU integrated or integrating it (and the latest SSU) in an untouched ISO (i.e., with the first build) myself? And if I only want an ISO with the latest CU and not with the latest Security update for Adobe Flash Player, the latest CU for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7.2 and the latest SSU update and it comes with all of these like it happened to me in the past and what wil happen if it comes with the latest Adobe Flash Player update and CU for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7.2 integrated and I remove Adobe Flash Player and .NET Framework 3.5 with MSMG ToolKit or NTLite afterwards? And if I integrate more recent updates when it has older ones? Will the ISO have both or will it replace the older ones (like the CCU and SSU older ones being replaced by more recent ones)? Maybe I should integrate the latest updates in the original build.

9. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    That is what I always do. You only need the latest updates.

10. Windows 10 User

Feb 2, 2017
    #9512 Windows 10 User, Jan 19, 2019
    It looks like the Adobe Flash Player update and the CU for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7.2 is still integrated by NTLite even after removing Adobe Flash Player and .NET Framework 3.5. It also integrated the latest updates not overwriting the older ones (can I have any problem with these two situations?) and I can't remove an already integrated update so I'll integrate the updates I want in an untouched ISO like you wrote.

11. AsaadSoft

AsaadSoft MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2015
    I read all replies and still didn't understand the compenent cleanup step:

so let's try to understand it better, assuming i install windows 10 fully without anything removed, using an untouched official iso from microsoft right.
    and after installing the OS, i run this command:
    DISM /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase (with or without resetbase)

what will be the effects on windows ??

12. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    It does just what it sounds like, cleans up the sxs repository. Saves a gig or two on diskpace by removing unneeded packages. The ResetBase further cleans up old files replaced by updates. The only thing is running ResetBase disables the Reset Windows function and the ability to uninstall previous updates which is not a big deal for me since I just reload the whole thing if anything goes wrong that bad.

As far as I know that's all it does, saves disk space, though there could be something it does I'm not aware of.

13. boo123

boo123 MDL Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Am I using the RemoveAppsList and RemovePkgsList correctly?

Also, do I need to combine both .txt into one notepad? I noticed that only the toolkit was only removing packages from removepkgslist.

RemoveAppsList
    Code:
    Microsoft.AdobeFlashForWindows
    Microsoft.AssignedAccess
    Microsoft.CEIP_SQM
    Microsoft.Cortana
    Microsoft.DeviceLockdown
    Microsoft.EasyofAccessThemes
    Microsoft.EdgeDevToolsClient
    Microsoft.FirstLogonAnimation
    Microsoft.HomeGroup
    Microsoft.KernalDebugging
    Microsoft.MultiPointConnector
    Microsoft.RemoteAssistance
    Microsoft.SmartScreen
    Microsoft.SystemRestore
    Microsoft.UnifiedTelemetryclient
    Microsoft.WindowsDefender
    Microsoft.WindowsErrorReporting
    Microsoft.WindowsMediaPlayer
    Microsoft.WindowsMixedReality
    Microsoft.ReaderPDF
    Microsoft.SubsystemForLinux
    Microsoft.WindowsToGo
    Microsoft.XboxApp
    Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI
    RemovePksList
    Code:
    Microsoft-AADBrokerPlugin-Package
    Microsoft-AssignedAccessLockApp-Package
    Microsoft-BioEnrollment-Package
    Microsoft-ContentDeliveryManager-Package
    Microsoft-LockApp-Package
    Microsoft-MapControl-Package
    Microsoft-ParentalControls-Package
    Microsoft-PeopleExperienceHost-Package
    Microsoft-RetailDemoContent-Package
    Microsoft-SettingSync-Package
    Microsoft-SkypeORTC-Package

14. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Both the lists are wrong, those package names doesn't exist in RS5.

The RemoveAppsList.txt is used for the Inbox Apps removal and the RemovePksList.txt is used for normal packages.

Remove Apps/Packages using Apps/Packages List is different from the Remove Windows Components.

15. Windows 10 User

Feb 2, 2017
    #9517 Windows 10 User, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    Where's the option to remove Windows Reader in MSMG ToolKit (it appears in NTLite) in RS5? I think it existed in a previous version. And what about the InputApp and Tablet PC removal? Is it possible to create a preset to do an automatic removal of the components each time I use the tool? There are some components removed by MSMG ToolKit that still appear in NTLite.

EDIT: In RS5 it's recommended to remove the components in the order Windows Apps -> System Apps -> Advanced Windows Components but can I randomly remove a component inside the same of one of those three options or do I have to follow the order in which they appear (like MapControl first and OneDrive afterwards inside the System Apps option since MapControl appears first than OneDrive)? When will MSMG ToolKit support non-en-us/en-gb RS5 images?

16. monkey5i

monkey5i MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2014
    -------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------
    08. Remove all necessary Windows components using the menu Remove-> Remove Windows Components
    Removed all Windows Apps
    Removed all System Apps
    Removed all Advanced Windows Components
    Customize-> Remove default Metro Apps Association XML
    -------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------

Then, how to get the RemovePkgsList for RS5 17763.253?

17. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    When the Edge is removed using the ToolKit it also removes the EdgeDevClientTools and WindowsReaderPDF with it for Windows 10 RS5 Non-LTSC editions.

Only for Windows 10 RS5 LTSC editions The ToolKit shows the Menu for EdgeDevClientTools and WindowsReaderPDF removal.

InputApp and Tablet PC components aren't added yet for removal and right now there's no such option added to create a preset for component removal.

I do keep saying that I can't/won't be making the ToolKit to be compatible with other Tools like NTLite/WinReducer/WinToolKit and still you do keep asking the same thing.

I do check for component existence by it's file/folder presence and I don't know how NTLite checks for the component existence.

The Component removal has been tested in the order Windows Apps -> System Apps -> Advanced Windows Components and so far its working, in order to test random order it takes a lot time due to too many combinations.

I hope the random order won't affect anything but if you find any component not working than do report me.

18. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    - Remove Windows components -> Windows Apps -> System Apps -> Advanced Windows Components these menus uses the manual method to remove a component.

- Remove Windows Apps/Packages using Apps/Packages List uses the DISM to remove a App/Component.

Both the above operations are different and the Remove Windows components does the job completely, the Remove Windows Apps/Packages using Apps/Packages is given for people who wish to remove any other Apps/Components not listed other than those in the Remove Windows components menu.

For many components there are no proper packages names since MS has been merging several components into main packages and so for many components you won't be getting any list.

To get the list of packages present in the image use the install_wim_tweak.exe tool or use the command DIR /B C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\*.mum | clip, this will copy the list to clipboard, paste it into notepad and find and remove all occurrence of .mum.

Customize-> Remove default Metro Apps Association XML, this is not required if you remove all the Apps/components using Remove Windows components -> Windows Apps -> System Apps -> Advanced Windows Components