1. amn87

amn87 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2011
    #11861 amn87, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Hi everyone. I am using Windows 10 LTSC 2019 x86 in VMWare so that I can connect to a free Wifi Hotspot using multiple USB Wifi adaptors. The problem is the hotspot employs a SMS OTP-based login page and I must have removed some component(s) that is necessary for it to work as msftconnect.com/redirect no longer leads to the Wifi login page. It just brings up MSN.com. Untouched LTSC works fine. Is there any specific component that needs to be preserved? Thanks.

2. Baadshah

Baadshah MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2019
    Hello, I got a error toolkit cant find boot.win file. Windows RS5 1809 ISO downloaded from Techbench , Toolkit version 8.8 . The ISO has the Boot.wim and Install.wim. Didnt have to convert it from ESD to WIm

3. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Extract the ISO to the DVD folder. Or you can mount the ISO and copy the files to the DVD folder.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Baadshah

Baadshah MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2019
    I extracted the contents of the ISO to DVD folder, and I can find the files manually but Toolkit cannot find them

5. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Still need to find out whether the issue is due to the component removal or the VM since even before with v1809 x64 builds I had issues with the installation in VM and lately it got solved.

6. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Try retaining IE and do post the list of components you have removed.

7. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Why are you using Toolkit v8.8 when the latest version is perfectly working for Windows RS5 1809.

8. amn87

amn87 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2011
    IIRC I had removed IE as I thought Chrome/FF should be enough. I will try again and post the list of components I had removed later. I am not visiting the hotspot for over a week anyway. Thanks for your work.

9. cuzzon

cuzzon MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2017
    @MSMG will there be custom .reg file importing ?
    I ask because currently it can be done via .tpk in Packs folder, but as i inspected for example Games pack, it had its registry paths altered to accomodate toolkit's mounting process (ie it had TK_DEFAULT, TK_SOFTWARE etc...).
    Will there be a feature to add plain .reg files whose keys toolkit will try to resolve to its internal format (ie HKEY_CURRENT_USER to TK_DEFAULT, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software to TK_SOFTWARE etc).
    I ofcourse do not expect it to resolve ALL cases, just these carefully preprocessed files, it is IMHO responsibility of the .reg creator to convert all "HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-xxxx" to proper "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" or "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT" format.
    I figured out how toolkit performs these actions and i could "hack" into wim myself while toolkit is running so it commits my custom .reg into .wim, but i'd rather have this in clean and organized fashion.

10. xCyBx

xCyBx MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    You can simply do changes to the registry file reg hive mount paths to reflect the Toolkit's registry mount paths and then use the :

- Toolkit's Tools->Options->Mount Image Registry Menu to mount the image registry
    - Double Click on Registry file to import the settings
    - Toolkit's Tools->Options->UnMount Image Registry Menuto un-mount the image registry

Before I had thought of adding the option to Import the registry settings within the Toolkit but had issues with modifying the Registry mount paths in the registry file using the limited dos bath scripting.

Will write a small tool in c# to automate renaming the Registry mount paths and use the tool within the Toolkit to import custom registry settings.

12. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    #11872 MSMG, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    (OP)
    Earlier problem with W10 v1903 (x64) install on VMware was due to a bug which made the W10 v1903 (x64) install get hung at the Windows Logo and the solution was to either integrate an update issued by the MS or to disable the Virtualize IOMMU inside VMWare.

I disabled Virtualize IOMMU inside VMWare and the W10 v1903 (x64) got installed properly, Now the component removal for v1809 (x86+x64) and v1903 (x86+x64) is working as expected.

13. Baadshah

Baadshah MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2019
    Tried Version 9.3.2 and 8.8, Both versions of toolkit cannot find Boot.wim file in sources DVD, but I could manually locate them in toolkit>Sources> DVD. Tried running toolkit as adminstrator but dint work.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Can you show a screenshot of the folder?

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Like @MSMG said, and i would advise to use the toolkit in a folder on the root of a disk/partition and not in the user profile folders, this can cause a too long filepath and r/w errors.

16. cuzzon

cuzzon MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2017
    @MSMG @bou7a
    Here is a PS script i wrote after reading posts from stackoverflow and msdn
    Code:
    $input_values = Get-ChildItem -Path "*.reg"

foreach ($file in $input_values)
    {
        [System.Collections.ArrayList]$content = Get-content -Path $file | Where { $_ -notmatch "^(\s+)?;|^\s*$" }

[hashtable]$equivalents = @{
        "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE" = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SOFTWARE";
        "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SOFTWARE\Classes";
        "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM" = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SYSTEM";
        "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_NTUSER";
        "HKEY_USERS\.Default" = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_DEFAULT"}

[string]$output = ""
        [string]$newline = ""
        foreach($line in $content)
        {
            if ($line -match "^\[.*\]$")
            {
                foreach($key in $equivalents.Keys)
                {
                    if ($line.Contains($key))
                    {
                        $newline = $line.Replace($key, $equivalents[$key])
                        break
                    }
                }
            }
                        else
                    {
                        $newline = $line
                    }

$output += $newline + "`n"
        }
        $filename = [System.IO.Path]::GetFileName($file)
        $path =  [System.IO.Path]::GetDirectoryName($file)
        Set-Content -Path ($path + "\converted_" + $filename) -Value $output
    This reads all .reg files in same folder as this script and converts the keys, then writes back to disk with "converted_" string prepended to filename. No safety checks are present, so be careful.
    It is intended to work with toolkit as per MSMG's suggestion about manually mounting registry during toolkit operation.

17. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011

Cool so release in a week?
    Do you have issues with virtualbox?

18. MIMMO61

MIMMO61 MDL Senior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Good morning.
    I ask if this procedure is right for entering registry keys
    to perform many tweaks that I perform manually, after installation.
    Thank you