1. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Which makes it difficult to adapt to newer builds. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. windows builder

windows builder MDL Guru

Sep 13, 2017
    Since after the cumulative update is integrated into v1903 image, some components are restored and the Toolkit program cannot be removed, you can use the .reg files below and import them.

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v SmartScreenEnabled /t REG_SZ /d "Off" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppHost" /v "EnableWebContentEvaluation" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\PhishingFilter" /v "EnabledV9" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableAntiSpyware /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Spynet" /v SpyNetReporting /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Spynet" /v SubmitSamplesConsent /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Spynet" /v DontReportInfectionInformation /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sense" /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v "DontReportInfectionInformation" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v "DontOfferThroughWUAU" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "SecurityHealth" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run" /v "SecurityHealth" /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SecHealthUI.exe" /v Debugger /t REG_SZ /d "%windir%\System32\taskkill.exe" /f
    install_wim_tweak /o /c Windows-Defender /r
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings\Windows.SystemToast.SecurityAndMaintenance" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService" /f

taskkill /F /IM browser_broker.exe
    taskkill /F /IM RuntimeBroker.exe
    taskkill /F /IM MicrosoftEdge.exe
    taskkill /F /IM MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe
    taskkill /F /IM MicrosoftEdgeSH.exe
    mv C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe_BAK
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\MicrosoftEdge.exe" /v Debugger /t REG_SZ /d "%windir%\System32\taskkill.exe" /f
    Get-WindowsPackage -Online | Where PackageName -like *InternetExplorer* | Remove-WindowsPackage -Online -NoRestart

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes the ToolKitHelper code is big as the processing of component removal data is not done at runtime but instead it's is pre-processed and included as code in the ToolKitHelper.exe and adding code protection will increase the size bit further..

4. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    I have already added the tweak to disable Windows Update in Customize->Apply Tweaks menu.

5. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Working on component removal to make it better to work with images with updates integrated and also to support future builds.

6. Feartamixg

Feartamixg MDL Addicted

May 15, 2016
    @MSMG
    I don't completely understand how ToolKitHelper works, but I assume it is a AIO program for Windows 8, 8.1, 10, 1709, 1803 etc. Would it run quicker if perhaps each version of Windows had it's own ToolKitHelper, ie: ToolKitHelper1903, etc?

7. Subhasis Bose

Subhasis Bose MDL Novice

May 8, 2017
    @MSMG
    This is to bring in your notice, Today i tried to integrate drivers with newly build windows 7 ISO (August 2018 Build) [ISO Name:- 7601.24214.180801-1700.win7sp1_ldr_escrow_CLIENT_PROFESSIONAL_x64FRE_en-us]. Tried with both version 8.8 and 9.4.2, but both failed. While mounting the recovery image for deployment, its getting failed. In 8.8 giving me an error like "Syntax command Incorrect" and in 9.4.2 application got exited while pressing "Y".

8. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    #12548 AeonX, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    NTLite has evolved a lot over time. Initially it was not possible to integrate or install updates after removals but now it is possible however with several problems. I will explain with examples.

But the approach of the MSMG Toolkit I think is the safest because it does removals in a fixed build version.

The following examples are with similar or equivalent removals:

* NTLite with Windows 10 version 1809 without updates: No apparent problem.
    * NTLite with Windows 10 version 1809 with updates: Error installing cumulative update (language removal seems to be the problem).
    * NTLite with Windows 10 version 1607 without updates: No apparent problem.
    * NTLite with Windows 10 version 1607 with updates: Error in Windows Setup (I'm still debugging but it looks something related to the BitLocker component).
    * NTLite with Windows 7 without rollup update: No apparent problem.
    * NTLite with Windows 7 with rollup update: Does not install the most current rollup (removal of the Windows Error Reporting component seems to be the problem).

Removing components and then integrating updates generates a considerably larger image (around 200 MB) than integrating updates and then removing components. Then there are the pros and cons to each approach.

Apparently with each new update, a review of how removals are done is needed, even a mechanism that dynamically detects and removes components like NTLite needs corrections over time. I see it as a cat and mouse game with microsoft.

9. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    and MSMG has the same problem Nuhi has. Constantly monitoring changes is not limited to removals tools either, ask @pf100

10. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Dont forget the monthly bugs too that Nuhi and MSMG have to contend with, they spend time debugging a problem only to find out its an MS bug.

11. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    That's why I just decided to use the month-end updates. Often they correct monthly Tuesday patches. In this particular month there were security fixes related to speculative execution so this should come with many bugs and loss of performance. I will be a long time without updating waiting for corrections :p

12. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Test'em before integrating them, dont bungem in expecting them to work, thats wot i have always said. :cool:

13. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    I think the best solution would be something between the 2 approaches to use a fixed version of Windows but with some updates. With each new version of the program validate with a windows update version. Something similar to what WinReducer does.

14. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    The problem is that some bugs you only notice after a while of use. I don't mind waiting, I used LTSB 2016 with update from early 2017 until last week :p

15. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    @AeonX I dont know to be honest, all i know is what is best for me. do a default install, update, capture, lite then deploy on an airgapped machine. that way i dont have to worry about updating after removals and telemetry.

16. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    I have limited werewithal to ponce about with windows, i havnt had my workstation on for over a week, just this one for some limited interweb stuff.

17. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    I personally think it is better to remove Windows Update or disable it and remove everything I want and not worry about updates after removals. In my opinion it will always be a headache to maintain compatibility with Windows Update and removals. For me it is enough to integrate updates remove what I want and not install more updates as long as this works and does not cause problems but this is not always possible if you use an older version of Windows that is not the focus of program development at the moment (all versions of Windows 10 before 1809, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7).

But this is a personal preference and just as your way of doing things is not what most want so MSMG and nuhi will have long work ahead to maintain compatibility with updates I believe in the future this will no longer be possible.

18. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Same for me. all i care about is if the end result is stable or not. i accept there may be a bug or two, especially if i have tweaked the living daylights out of the end result, as long as the bugs dont affect what i do or i just dont give a damn.

19. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    i think people expect too much from @nuhi and @MSMG considering what w10 is like.