Music, anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ancestor(v), Apr 25, 2009.

1. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Hello!

I'd like to share some great music...my own 'listening career'

when I was like 8 years old, I loved to listen to a classic music cd from my dad - but it was strange, I just liked the first 30 seconds of a song (never even listend to the rest; I remember). Imagine, sitting there and listening for about 30 sec and then pressing the "back" button to start it over again.

Next encounter was Kraftwerk, I was about 10...
    Kraftwerk is a german band, having a great influence (pioneer-like) on electronic music - my dad had (and still has) a few LPs of them. I remember songs like Roboter or Autobahn or Computerwelt and they were my instant favorites. This was the base for my future music listening behavior, I suppose.

Since that, electronic music is the music I like best...I enjoy listening to various kinds of it such as to songs from Infected Mushroom, Aural Float, Biosphere, Schnauss, Autechre, Amethystium, Crystal Castles, Paul van Dyk, Paul Kalkbrenner, Sven Vaeth and a lot else. Especially some of the said ones were brought to me by an instructor of mine at the beginning of my apprenticeship back then...
    I don't know exactly why, but music like the music from Aural Float or Infected Mushroom kinda affected my everyday life. When first listening to them, I felt like I found something I was desperately searching for but never found.

Just wanted to share these thoughts; again, don't know exactly why. Thank you anyway for reading. I'd like to end my posting with a link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI89J55wZj8
    Listen to it, and you will find...this song is so strange, but also beautiful and fascinating in the same time.

ancestor(v)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    My favourite is definitely the Icelandic 'Sigur Ros' :)
    Once you've got who they are you'll notice they bring the only 'one'
    straight from god.
    You cannot find any words therefore. For some people the music of them is non-accessible. You need an 'conditioned' mind, I would say the feeling of being who you really are.
    Sometimes when I listen closely I stand up raise my hands, close my eyes and feel: I AM! I AM, that's all nothing more, and I got tears im my eyes and say: " Thank you for being here!!!"
    I know this sound crazy, but I think some people know what I mean, right Hmonk?;)

I listen also to classic music. The soundtrack of the movie "Perfume" , played by the Berlin Philharmoniker is a great pleasure for me. And I'm very thankful for this music. I'm from Europe and most of the masters of classic music came from here or around.

I also like electronic and experimental music. I usually don't like 'mainstream'

Sorry most of them is in the aspect of art are totally crap.
    I know I am a bit strange. But an excellent mind brings a excellent behaviour.;)

Some of ancestors examples are not unknown to me.

If you someday find access to Sigur Ros' you'll see what I mean, if not I'm sorry about.

Music is a big part of my life. I like to act as DJ at parties of friends, I also tried to compose some own tracks, OMG it's such difficult to reach a masterpiece!

For each masterpiece I thank god!;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #3 HMonk, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
    Music - the work of human hands

In the U.S., most electronic music seems to be classified within the "New Age" genre and that is unfortunate since New Age bears a connotation that associates it with wizards, witches, hippies, or those who otherwise wish to escape the din and travel on the fringe, i.e., "'they' are not like the rest of us."

Issuing from parents who were musicians, I was often chained to the floor in front of a keyboard, music stand, or player - challenged to learn the fundamentals of music, and then some. Now, not fully satisfied with piano/keyboards (father) or guitar/flute (mother), I am now wrestling with the E9th pedal steel guitar (mother primarily played the lap or Hawaiian steel). All of which is a segway into the following list of some of my favorite electronic music artists and their more notable compositions:

Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou (OK, so maybe he is better known by "Vangelis,") is perhaps best known for his movie scores (Chariots of Fire, Bladerunner, e.g.), but his less known works are equal or better. Antacrtica, Opera Sauvage, China, and Oceanic are more ethereal, while Direct is more upbeat with an often stirring tempo. Beaubourg is just plain "out there."

Ray Lynch in one of his earliest works, Deep Breakfast, had wonderful success but faded a bit, probably because his later works were all overshadowed by Deep Breakfast. Those latter works, No Blue Thing, and Nothing Above My Shoulders but the Sky, are nonetheless worthy of a listen.

Constance Demby is a unique and amazing musician, composer, painter, and sculptor. Her Novus Magnificat is perhaps the best know and was an international best seller of "New Age" music. Others include, Aeterna, and Set Free.

An Irish lass and Norwegian fellow teamed up to form Secret Garden whose creations are an admixture of classical and Celtic themes. One of their earliest creations was Songs from a Secret Garden, to me, one of the most soothing albums I have - and I have 2000+. Truly wonderful music and although not strictly electronic (piano/violin/voices) it, to me, has an electronic feel.

Adiemus is said to be the union of Enigma and Deep Forest (both of which I would heartily recommend). To me, much of their compositions bespeak, at least, the promise of peace and joy.

And, not electronic strictly speaking, are the electronic harps of Michael Sell, Andreas Vollenweider, and Hilary Stagg.

This is, of course, a partial list (post back if you'd like more/details) but no list would be complete without he who is regarded by many as the father of electronic (New Age) music, Kitaro. Among his many notable and acclaimed compositions/albums, Thinking of You, surely has to be rated as one of his best (it won a Grammy).

@Yen: Amazon has a few dozen MP3s of Sigur Ros here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RHO8M2/ref=s9_kart_se_artist?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=top-1&pf_rd_r=05KEQFG22421CA34ZEXF&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=371964601&pf_rd_i=sigur%20ros

Monk

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Thank you for being here . .

@Yen . . .

I do, indeed, know what you mean. Nothing moves me as much as music and I enjoy most kinds except RAP. I used to think my "affair" with music was due to the fact that my parents were musicians and from day one I grew up listening to them practice and playing their favorite pieces. I also used to be embarrassed by my barrage of tears at concerts; as I got older I realized that people didn't notice my crying because they, too, were crying. I even went through a brief period in my burgeoning introspective years (late teens) thinking there was something wrong with me, i.e., my reaction to music was symptomatic of some psychological deficit.

Music, perhaps because of its beauty, serves as a bridge between me and my God. Music says to me, "You hear how beautiful this is, how moving this is, how it engenders peace within you, just wait till you come fact-to-face with the one as a consequence of whose graces this music was composed."

Being an amateur musician, I also appreciate the tireless hours musicians put into perfecting their art, a fact that adds to my awe upon hearing good music.

Music does, indeed, calm the savage breast, for me, by canceling out the incessant din that calls attention to itself, that beckons to us to jump on the tread mill, that distracts us with the false promises of instant gratification. And in that calm, the mind is free to plumb the depths of its being at whose center is God.

Yes, Yen, I know what you mean.

Monk

5. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    HMonk, you maybe like Amethystium then...
    They've got some very good songs; my favorite album is Aphelion.

Like Yen, I also enjoy Sigur Ros but I haven't found an access (yet?) as Yen did. It's nice and calm and enjoyable but there is music that I listen more frequently too.
    One question that raises in me is how much is one's mind affected by the music that one is first listening to in life or better how mind is generally affected by music.
    Definitely agree. Rap kinda makes me nervous and listening to stupid idiots e.g. saying how much better they are than others is so ridiculous...

I also 'use' music for learning. Music (mostly the Ambient kind like Biosphere or others) create an interesting mental background noise which comes in handy when learning things...after a few minutes of concentration, the music goes background, feeling for time gets lost and I just sit there and work. This goes on a few hours (make sure of having enough music in the playlist ;)) and then I feel so weared off, and things are just fine.

Music also helps me recovering from negative or stress situations or an exhausting weekend...at the moment, the latter is the case :D

And yes, music can indeed move minds. Mind is the lock and music is the key...I'm quite sure...

EDIT: Listening to Sigur Ros - () album at the moment...very nice, flowing waves of peace. One thing I notice is the special peacefulness of Sigur Ros music that I don't feel with other music.

With music, I can modulate my mood. Listening to the right music at the right time creates a feeling of contentedness...

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks HMonk for the link. As a great fan of Sigur Ros, I’ve got everything I can get. Original CD /DVD of course and of course live recordings from fans……

Since you can get mp3s everywhere, I buy more CDs, why? I have great access to all kind of music.
    I can pre listen to it. If I like very much I of course buy the CD, yes I do!!!
    The calculations of the RIAA are of course ridiculous.
    I want to support the artists buying their stuff and go to concerts / tours. And I need a good quality of sound recordings, since I own a good hi-fi system. Some old records on vinyl sound still at best.

To experience your favourite artist at a live concert is of course the ultimate feeling……

About music and accessibility and subjective quality:
    Some songs are very accessible, you listen to them one time and you say, yes I like.
    Some songs are difficult to access, you listen to them many times…suddenly you notice they are great songs.
    A few songs in your life, you listen to them again and again, you call them masterpiece, you are thankful for them, you get these feelings I wrote about at my first post.

First category: Many people agree and say yes it’s a good song, good selling, but songs get boring soon.

Second category: Your great CDs at your rack, you’re proud to have them, when you want to feel good, just grab one of them and listen to………..some people say yes, these are great songs, but only some or a few agree…………medium selling…..

Third category: I don’t know if everyone who likes to listen to music knows about…..
    It took me more than 25 years. Music as masterpiece, ultimate event, timeless, eternal…..
    A few agree, almost nobody of your friends, but many people at concert….. usually low selling of records compared to the top tens.

Some history: When I was 10 years old some friends started to listen to music. I tried too, but I didn’t like, it was pop music. I thought I have to, to be cool, too. Thank god some other friends listened to music I like, it was Heavy Metal. Soon the good old Metallica was born. After 10 years listening to different kind of Metal (speed metal, trash metal, black metal) I had enough. But not forget some like Metallica or Warrior Soul I still like……
    Being ‘different’ was the deal. I switched to ‘independent’ music, I watched MTV, ‘120 minutes’ it was my favourite music show. ‘Front 242’, The Sisters Of Mercy, Depeche Mode, Phillip Boa, New Model Army, Type O Negative, more depressive music I started to listen to……
    The ‘indi’ area was a changeover for me to electronic music. London, Berlin, the ‘techno’ area begun …..Sven Väth, Der Dritte Raum, Alter Ego, Richie Hawtin.

And since ‚techno’ is dead, I listen more to ‘experimental music’, electronic music, classical music, post rock, but I still have favourites from all my personal music history…..let’s see what will follow……

I absolutely don’t like hip hop.

Recommendations of electronical music:

The Future Sound of London (Lifeforms)
    Sven Väth (The Harlequin, The Robot And The Ballet-Dancer)
    Blüchel & Von Deylen (Bi Polar)
    Laurent Garnier (Unreasonable Behavior)

And about Sigur Ros: You have to discover their music...... or you simply don't like.....some say it's like when angels make love....some say it's played from aliens, I say it's straight from god......

7. interceptor999

interceptor999 MDL Novice

May 5, 2009
    Yen.....we would get along great on a road trip, no screaming at each other about music..lol:cool: and I agree entirely about hearing a song and you you like it, buy it;) *Like AfroMan said in one of his songs....* yes I do listen to a lil rap an hiphop...but only the good shtuff I swear!! I mostly listen to metal and Jpop remixes..lol:eek:

and yes I enjoy using smilies...

8. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
  9. dasli

dasli MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    I like Paul van Dyk...
    Especially " Let go "
    :)

10. sandradee

sandradee MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2009
    Right now I am listening to this new band from canada thats touring with Manson... Die Mannequin... so good. Oh and loads of Brodie Dalle. Spinnerette makes my heart burst!

11. olla86

olla86 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2009
    I like trance, house and club music. Right now I am listening Flegmatix Project “Spy”:cool:

12. Ozzman62

Ozzman62 MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2009
    Love all genre`s of music with the exception of "Rap " Well the new realm at least . If you look back the original "Rappers" Were Musicians like the late " Frank Zappa " and the still living " Bob Dylan " . I grew up on Classical music and still enjoy it . As odd as it seems the older I get the more my flavor for hard music comes forward . I Love Jimi Hendrix Who was the Master of the Electric guitar and I wonder as do most , Where would he be now.....
    Al De Miola , Yngwie Malmsteen , Zakk Wylde.....You get the idea !
    Music is Written to move the spirit and the soul and to inspire emotions ,
    And brings forth thoughts and feelings and manages to do it well .

Just my opinion .

13. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
  14. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
  15. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Most of the music I like is "wordless" ... for example Mannheim Steamroller, before they became popular. Well done TV show themes, like the Bear McCreary stuff in BSG. The David Lowe themes for BBC news are interesting too.

16. C.L.A.N. 0³

C.L.A.N. 0³ MDL Junior Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I like all kinds of music, right now I'm listening to Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole... VERY relaxing!

17. jonford123

jonford123 MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    I usually have music going while I'm on the computer. I assume others probably do too, if so what are you listening to right now? Go!!

Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe

18. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Lets not forget Yanni. His music has soothed my soul for many years. As I used to listen to metal but grew tired of the mental and emotional connection. I switched to music that enlightens the spirit. The sad thing is most of it is from other countries which is not a problem it just tells the story of the American life. Please keep posting so I can learn of new groups which I have already found some wonderful ones in here.:)

19. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
  20. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Trance, Groove, Club, Techno

Rap, R&B

These are the things that still get me going.

Been a house dj for 7 jears (mostly trance & club), so that never dies.
    Gave it up 5 years ago though, because of my kids.
    A life of partying doesn't mix well with a family :rolleyes: