New File System called "Protogon"

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by 3ricky114, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    I said May be for the first line

2. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    lol .

3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    With window 7 and 8 MS is on the right track when it comes to performance and stability, so if the same goes for protogon then it could well be faster. Maybe not for hdds but at least for ssds. I don't think NTFS is optimized for ssds, if a filesystem can be optimized for a ssds anyway. But if it can be optimized then there's a good chance that ssds will benefit from protogon.

Hdds already exist for so long that tweaking filesystems is almost if not completely impossible cause it's already that good. Or am I wrong?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    You are right.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stability and reliability I agree with.

Performance and windows? The performance gain that the development of new hardware (CPU / chipset / RAM) brings could be more drastic if M$ would not waste performance.
    I also don't think NTFS is optimized for SSDs since it never had been optimized for HDDs. Also the build in defrag for HDDs is crapy.

It are the SSD manufacturers that have to optimize their devices for NTFS, because M$ doesn't care about, they finally are monopolist.
    NTFS is an old filesystem and even FAT32 runs better on flash devices. EXT4 is far superior on flash devices. I noticed about on my phone where I use EXT4 partitions and FAT32 partitions to remain accessibility from windows.

When formatting a USB thumb drive with NTFS its performance is worse compared to FAT32.

M$ could develop a better one, but therefore they have to cooperate with SSD manufacturers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Crap, I always format my flash drives with NTFS o_O exFat, here I come!

7. Windows4live

Windows4live MDL Addicted

Jan 31, 2011
    external drives are out! :D
    i use the cloud!
    no problems with deciding, how to format the drive.

8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Well, even with NTFS my flash drive is "slightly" faster than cloud drives.

9. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Is this true? But why?
    I thought NTFS is better.

10. B8

B8 MDL Member

Sep 13, 2011
  11. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Filesystems are a subject on their own.
    You have big partitions and small partitions. A lot of small files or only a few very large files. SSD or hdd.
    All the 8 possible combinations probably have their own optimized filesystem design, so it's always the goal to find a balance between the optimizations.
    With time the most frequent combination changes (going from hdd to ssd for example, but also filesizes and the amount of files), so filesystems have to evolve with this.

So there isn't really a 1 fits all, a filesystem that's efficient in 1 case may be less efficient in other cases as the amount of files, their size, the partition size, ssd vs hdd is different.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yeah sure, some would share anything with M$, or other external sources. But how could M$ be the bad guys since they have developed w8?
    I use my Enigma 2 (Linux) media server to store and backup data and it runs EXT2 filesystem.
    :p

Well if NTFS is slower than FAT32 on USB thumb drive it depends on:
    Size of drive /partition and cluster size
    File size and amount of files
    Location of files on the drive.
    Manufacturer / driver (OS)

I did a test some years ago and had copied the same contents onto the same drive. But one time FAT32 formatted, the other time NTFS formatted. With NTFS the drive was significantly slower (file copy speed, many files and folders, size low, mp3 music files).

You simply can do the same test.

Also SSDs are different. They are flash devices as well, but they use TRIM and have a controller to manage I/O.
    I have a OCZ vertex II SSD which is NTFS formatted though, it's very fast since it's optimized to run with NTFS.

But most common is FAT32. NTFS is windows 'only'.

13. Windows4live

Windows4live MDL Addicted

Jan 31, 2011
    No , i would say!
    Where is the prove?
    He only shows the start screen!

14. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    The type of the file system is RAW.
    The new file system is PROTOGON.
    WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK
    DRIVE P: WILL BE LOST!
    Proceed with Format (Y/N)? y
    QuickFormatting 1024M
    Volume label (32 characters, ENTER for none)? 123
    Creating file system structures.
    Format failed.
    Format failed.

15. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    I agree with this statement, especially the Windows defender, getting rid of it makes system runs a lot better.

16. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I'll do a benchmark tomorrow with a microSD card with FAT, FAT32, NTFS, UDF 2.50 (latest available in format.exe), exFAT and Protogon.
    I'll use 7989 cause protogon doesn't seem to work in WDP, it formats to 100% and after asking for a volume name it fails.
    I'll use Flash Memory Toolkit 2.0 portable, so I can also do a low-level benchmark which is filesystem independent.
    Perhaps I can also test a HDD too with a different program.

Note that I don't have USB 3.0 on any of my machines, so it's all 2.0 speed.

17. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
  18. System64

System64 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2011
    Read and write speeds are decided by so much more then just the file system, surely you guys know that?

19. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Yep and especially with USB which relies on the CPU. High CPU load results in slower transfers. But I can't connect it to sata, so there's no other solution.

20. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    . .