No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by symb, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Agreed. If you want to use Win 10 and the feedback/spying is a concern. Installing Enterprise LTSB and applying a few tweaks to Telemetry etc may be the best way to go.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
  4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Garbellano: That guy has done a number of good tutorials on electronics. His voice is a little squeaky and annoying, but He's golden with regards to His EE posts. ;)
    He doesn't have an agenda against Microsoft. That's apparent by His setting up what looks like a fairly reasonable test.

@Edd: I agree. People just don't care with regard to social media. And that's sad. When their kids end up getting fired from jobs because of their facebook activity, then perhaps they'll care.

5. roga

roga MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015
    I have LTSB. It still spies. I tried all the tweaks available, I mean all, and traffic still slips to Microsoft. I do not know what it is sending to Microsoft, a chance it could be nothing of substance after all the tweaking, but a higher chance it could be Microsoft ignoring all the tweaks and sending whatever it wants.

6. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    Its a new day in this tread, also bump. :D
    :popcorn:
    @M.J, here :sharepopcorn:

7. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    #109 Garbellano, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    There are a bunch, just like the video I had posted before, and you could do it by yourself, with any free and open source sniffer.

EDIT

Collecting data on what I do offline on my personal computer is a lot different than collecting data from an online service.

8. MrTweakFreak

MrTweakFreak MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #110 MrTweakFreak, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

off-topic
    (avatar) Is that really a ........ piercing? :eek:

9. Buckie

Buckie MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Does it really matter ? One way or another they are going to get your information, if not directly through windows 10, it'll be through the likes of Amazon running windows 10 or any other company that takes and stores your info ! Google, Facebook, Twitter Asda, you name it they will all soon be running on windows 10.:eek:

10. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I got nothing to hide so they can spy all they want, but for my job laptop I'm currently on Windows 8.1 Professional and I love it.

I'm itchy to migrate to Windows 10 on my gaming rig though which is also Windows 8.1 and offline all the time but there seems to be some kind of bug with Project64 that causes BSOD so I'm putting it on hold.

However I have everything ready for the migration, just hope they fix Project64 before.
    I really want to give Windows 10 a serious go!

11. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I really have nothing to say, so they can take away my free speech. I mean, why should I care?

12. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    Here we go again...
    Proof or give up and admit you are wrong. It is that binary a thing.

13. Eurisoph

Eurisoph MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2015
    The rampant paranoia continues apace! Whatever info MS collects is intended to give you a BETTER more ENHANCED experience on the platform. Of all the millions of users can anyone name ONE person who has been legally sanctioned as a result of MS's "spying"?

14. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Well, that's one extreme view. Somewhere in the sensible center lies the truth.

15. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Given that microsoft's ENTIRE business model with win10 relies ENTIRELY on collecting users' data in order to send ads to said users, it is completely ridiculous to claim that they are not collecting data from their users....:rolleyes:

16. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Rickkins: What You say is true for just about all companies with a web presence. And the data collected is like gold, because it can be sold to other parties. It's the same thing as telephone contact lists being sold to telemarketing firms and brokerage houses. With web marketing / advertising, the challenge has always been to allow users to remain anonymous while still being able to provide targeted ads.

And how does a company know when they've "crossed the line" with regards to intrusive behavior? The market tells them. Typically, it shows up as poor sales, or harsh criticism in the media.

Here's another thought. When a person buys an OS, they have an expectation of privacy. Perhaps that's a little unrealistic, but ethically, it's not too much to ask. When an application violates your privacy, would you even waste your time trying to secure it? Or would you simply delete it and search for an alternative. If you were tech savvy, You might. You might even go as far as Reverse Engineering it. But novice users do not have the skillset to allow them to do something like that.

So, what do You do when the entire OS leaves You with a feeling of unease?

:MJ

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Can you explain why they encrypt the data they are collecting?

"Whatever info MS collects is intended to give you a BETTER more ENHANCED experience on the platform"
    You are referring to an unknown content they collect, this means you'd allow M$ to collect anything they want to make w10 BETTER and ENHANCED. Do you really think that is OK? Besides of that it is no argument, it is your personal opinion about M$ without facts. NOBODY knows what M$ is collecting.

BTW: If you'd know the original meaning of paranoia then you recognize that it is M$/NSA who are paranoid collecting data.

18. Lex0r

Lex0r MDL Novice

May 19, 2010
    Among the cheerleading, paranoia & in deffence of MS, "Let me put in my two cents in":

1 billion devices by 2017....
    What I would like to see, among these cheerleading, some real journalists taking on the corporate market and the W10 situation. While even previous versions of the OS did indeed have build in telemetry (optional - Windows Experience et al) W10 has hard coded telemetry throughout the whole OS. I wouldn't deign to comment on the 'Free' upgrades for W10 Home & Pro users nor on the pathetic attempts to patch W7 and W8 with similar features, all in the name of preparing the move to W10.
    I'm only concerned with W10 Enterprise version and how it will fare with the world government bodies and large corporations and institutions. While it is indeed the number one choice for such entities and it has better build in tools for IT Mangers to control privicy issues, it still carries the hard-coded abilities to snoop and the risks thereof.
    Given that fact, I'd love to see a self-respecting government anywhere (the Chinese and the Russians have already raised objections) give instructions to IT departments to deploy broadly W10. Yeah, wait and see the German and the Brazilian governments being the first to deploy W10 throughout all institutions!
    And what about large corporations, research facilities, the military industry, embassies and world institutions with technological patents and trade secrets? Anyone a taker? The only industry that I can think of that would/could embrace W10 is the the world Airlines, as they have to submit passenger information for security reasons anyway. Come on guys, come up with more potential and willing guinea pigs in the corporate environment.
    The European Commission moves slowly but when it does it will hit Microsoft so hard that heads will be rolling and the whole code thing will have to be rewritten from scratch. Cortana anyone? 'Houston, we have a problem' !
    I'm going on a limb here and predict that MS has already foreseen this coming and will have a ready made version for just such an eventuality. If they don't, they deserve what's coming to them.
    Back to the 1 billion devices by 2017..
    What devices? Surface Pro - very unlikely. Window phones - impossible. PCs and laptops - unrealistic. Maybe by the year 2027 but by then the whole misguided venture and MS might be completely irrelevant!
    Lex0r