No mods, but how to force Acer Aspire E1-431 Insyde BIOS update from 1.29 to 2.18?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by rallydarkstrike, Feb 23, 2019.

1. rallydarkstrike

rallydarkstrike MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2019
    Hi all,

I have not done any mods to my BIOS and don't intend to, but am trying to upgrade my Acer Aspire E1-431 laptop's processor. Currently it has a Pentium dual-core B950 @ 2.10Ghz. I know a Core i5 can be directly swapped onto the motherboard and work, but it requires a BIOS update.

I've been trying to get the BIOS to update from 1.29 to the later 2.18 version the new processor requires, but keep running into errors.

I'm trying the tricks found here (I can't post links as I don't have 5 posts yet, so just add http:// to the front of this):
    catchtito.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-to-update-to-2x-bios-from-1x-bios.html

...but can't seem to get it to work. Changing the things suggested there in the ZQS_218.exe BIOS installer program doesn't work, and when I extract it, I can find platform.ini, but NOT a BIOS .bin file...?

Can anybody provide me with any ideas to get the BIOS updated in this so I can use my later processor?

Cheers and thanks! :)

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    run the exe.. leave error open (if run exe on different pc).
    open file explorer %temp%
    find newest folder and copy to your bios folder or desktop.
    close error msg
    now you see ZQS_R.fd and platform.ini

also this steps was 5 yrs ago. im sure some things changed in those years with acer .exe's

3. rallydarkstrike

Feb 23, 2019
    Thanks mate! I'll try this later on this afternoon! Very sorry for the late reply!

4. rallydarkstrike

Feb 23, 2019
    Hi LatinMcG - just wanted to get back to you and say that I used your trick (finally had time to try it this morning!) and all was well! Now running Bios 2.18 rather than 1.29! :)

Thanks for the help!

5. iamvivektron

iamvivektron MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2020
    Hi rallydarkstrike
    Can you please help me with the upgrade process. I am not able to do it using acer bios recovery mode using usb disk with .fd file (or may be i am missing some steps)