OEM Activation on Acer Aspire One

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lameguest, Dec 2, 2008.

1. lameguest

lameguest MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2008
    #1 lameguest, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    The subject has been totally resolved. Please read all the posts on this tread.

Hi to all,

Recently I discovered that my Acer Aspire One BIOS (0.3305) has an authentic SLIC table in the bios, even if there are no models on the market bundled with Vista. So I would try to perform a real OEM activation without using a SLIC emulator, or any other hack. I need the corresponding OEM certificate, which so far I did not found. The SLIC OEM ID is INTEL, the Table ID is Napa (checked with Everest 4.60). It should be full SLP 2.0 compliant (384 bytes long). I ripped the table and, if allowed, i could attach it on this thread on a future reply.

If anyone can help please reply to this, this information may potentially be useful for a wide range of people, at least everyone who owns this netbook and wants to install Vista on it in the best possible way.

Thanks in advance,

See you soon.

2. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    I guess it is possible that a new SLIC exists with the OEM ID of "INTEL" but one thing that goes against this idea is the length of your SLIC table. A SLIC table should be 374 bytes long, not 384 bytes. Therefore, I presume you do not have a valid SLIC table. Feel free to post your SLIC table. I or someone will gladly take a look.

3. lameguest

lameguest MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2008
    #3 lameguest, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
    (OP)
    OK i'll attach it !

Oh, sorry ! The table IS 374 bytes long, obviously. Let's attach it for further investigation.

Many thanks for your interest,

See you later.

EDIT: Please download the attached files on the following posts, this one is uncorrect !

Attached Files:

4. lameguest

lameguest MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2008
    #4 lameguest, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
    (OP)
    Further investigation

I made a deeper investigation on the SLIC table with Acpiscope. It's at 5F4F1000h and is actually 384 bytes long (altough I didn't ripped the last 10 bytes), thus not SLP 2 compliant. So I'll reattach the table, with an Acpiscope log, as soon as possible.

5. lameguest

lameguest MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2008
    As promised

Here it is. Please confirm that it's not useful for Vista licensing, so i'll try a different (hacking) method, considering also the WoW tool here on this forum.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Have a good day.

Attached Files:

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The SLIC is unusable. The table length byte is set to 180h = 380.
    It doesn't contain any public key and marker. A original SLIC is 176h = 374 bytes long.....

To get a full overview please press chip button at AcpiScope save and upload the *.ats reportfile.

It's an Insyde bios not modifiable due to the lack of tools.
    WoW could be your solution......make sure acpi 2.0 support is set to enable (if the option is present at bios settings before you try WoW)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. lameguest

lameguest MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2008
    Done as requested

Thanks Yen, I appreciate your interest. However 180h = 384 and sadly this is the Aspire One SLIC table size. Almost sure that it cannot be useful for activation.

Waiting for a reply,

Bye

Attached Files:

8. lameguest

lameguest MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2008
    Compromised solution

OK, if the only way to activate is by "hacking" the SLIC, let's do it ! Softmod is the best solution as far as this bios is not modifiable (and I totally dislike hardmod solutions, because of the risks and because this needs mods application before every BIOS update). So I took GRLDR from Vistaloader, patched with ACRSYS SLIC, put it on the root, assigned HSR attributes to it, and then patched my system drive boot sector with BOOTINST tool.
    After the reboot, acpiscope reads a correct sized SLIC from Acer, at address 5F4FE184h. Then i put in Acer cert and requested activation via the slmgr command.

Et voilĂ  ! Vista is activated. I will live happy in this way, at least until they'll integrate a compliant table in a future BIOS revision.

Merry christmas,

see you.

9. Orbiting234

Orbiting234 MDL Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Problem solved for us. Sounds like Acer's newest 3309 BIOS added their own proper Acer SLIC table to it, no modding needed whatsoever.

10. lameguest

lameguest MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2008
    A christmas gift from Acer !

Yes, I also think so. I'm waiting for the official release on the Acer site, then I'll flash it. I'm fairly sure that this will definitely (and optimally) solve the problem.

(But why have they burned a lot of money to develop this damn SLP, if it allows us to activate without buying (and now without hacking, too) ? :D :D :D

Cheers

11. lameguest

lameguest MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2008
    Job done.

I just flash v3309 bios downloaded from Acer Australia, and I can confirm it contains an authentic ACRSYS SLP 2 compliant SLIC table, at address 5F4F1000h, instead of the old unuseful one. So now it's really possible to perform a regular OEM activation without any hack. I advice you to uninstall SLIC emulator files, if you've got it, immediately before flashing the bios (you can do it in Windows, just download the winflash tool from Acer Japan). Furthermore it's better to shut down after the upgrade and remove the battery for a bunch of seconds.

P.S. Make sure you installed a valid OEM royalty key and the Acer digital cert before starting the whole thing !

Bye

12. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hey Guys,

I was looking an "Acer Aspire One A110-AGB" today, which had a 3G modem built in. :)
    Before I go doing something stupid... :D

Can you confirm that the new BIOS files add an Acer SLIC to the BIOS of the Linux machines.

Thanks.

13. lameguest

lameguest MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2008
    As far as I know, the bios is suitable for any model. Undoubtably it's useful only if you want to install Vista on your One.... :eek:

14. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi lameguest,
    Thanks for the reply. :)

I was thinking more long the lines of running Windows 7 on it, assuming the activation isn't too different from Vista. :D

p.s. Is Vista that bad on the Aspire One ?
    I've got a HP Mini-Note at the moment (1.2Ghz, 1gb RAM) which admittedly is very slow to the desktop. But once there has no problems running Vista.

I thought the faster 1.6Ghz (and reportedly more powerful) Atom chip would run Vista easily :confused:

15. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Thanks lameguest,

Theres some good info there.
    I didn't realize the AA1 could only take 1.5GB RAM :confused:
    There some people over at the MiniNote forums moaning that it can only use 2.0GB. As its Friday (anyone remember Flaming Fridays) I might point out how luck they are. :D

16. arismfg

arismfg MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #17 arismfg, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    i have an AOD-150 my slic seems to be sized 384 bytes so useless as shown on the screenshot. do you think acer will release a new bios with real slic to be able to oem activate windows 7? i have installed 2gb ram anyway.

i also attach the slic bin file for which i got an error using the slic dump toolkit

Attached Files: