Official response from Microsoft on privacy concerns

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by genenioo, Sep 29, 2015.

1. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    NO, I didn't mean anything like that, and I have a lot of respect for you.

I think maybe my english and your german might not see the same.

I know someone online who is german and I don't understand them a lot, it must be this.

You are OK in my book, so don't think I don't respect you.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    1. This is not reasoned by tech aspects. The TCP/IP which is used to transfer data matters in this regard. It doesn't matter if the data are encrypted or not.
    2. They could encrypt the data after I had the chance to read them before anyway.

They encrypt/hide them beause they don't want to have the end user informed what they collect and that is a valid reason for mistrust.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    #23 mrbbq, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    This evasiveness over what is being taken from the system and even just how often they do so is precisely why it is important to be concerned over this. We have people claiming "they don't care" about your data without stopping to think "Well, if they aren't interested, why are they doing so and why are they so evasive over what exactly they are taking from your systems?"
    Or why, if they don't care, are they backtracking and adding this stuff in as far back as 7?
    Clearly Microsoft DO care and DO want whatever they are collecting. They won't let us see what it is - actually the idea of a report every month or so is would have been a very good one - or know why it is so important. But it clearly is for some reason, and we aren't allowed to know what that is. If someone came up to you on the street and asked you to let them spend an hour or so going around your home while you waited outside, you wouldn't let them surely? So why trust unknown people at unknown corporations and their partners to go around your data and siphoning off whatever they like? It's idiotic to allow either without knowing what they are up to.

That is incredibly suspicious - and that's why they aren't getting a damn thing from me.

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    1) If I get it correctly. The encrypted files are done so for them to be on the safer side. There is already an on-going witchhunting of Windows 10.

2) Those are actually data you have rights to because you set up your system privacy the way you want it to be. That is transparent enough to know the type of data they are collecting to help make your system function better. In fact, they are based on the service and feature you are using.

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @mrbbq: And that's why I stayed away from Windows 10 and recommended that -everybody- take a "wait and see" attitude. I don't hate Microsoft. They're a corporation. And just like every other corporation, they have their own agenda. In some cases, corporations do care about the people, but the boards of directors of the respective companies get first rights.

Some people here took my statements as personal affronts. Everything I said was only meant to warn and protect people who didn't recognise that the agenda does not necessarily serve the user.

There was no affront. Just concern. And now that everyone knows the "game", they are prepared and can protect themselves.

Nothing else matters.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Kuantum Freak

Kuantum Freak MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2015
    #26 Kuantum Freak, Sep 30, 2015
  7. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    See? They're trying so hard to be clear and transparent that they're removing their own articles about it now. Totally open and trustworthy behavior there. :rolleyes:

8. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Hrhr, maybe they harvested even more s**t storm because of that blog post.

9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Could be that Terry Myerson does not use Windows 10 and he has no clue as to what it really is, other than what someone else tells him, how else can one explain such ignorance?

11. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014

Maybe he just didn't actually read the Privacy Statement.... (plausible deniability)

12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It works over here. I can visit the blog site directly.

13. Kuantum Freak

Kuantum Freak MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Yeah, looks like the page is back up, it might have been a server issue on their side.

14. meanoc

meanoc MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013
    I still cannot access it.

15. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #36 odiebugs1, Sep 30, 2015
    The Microsoft license terms for windows 10.

State - By [FONT=&amp]accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement (aka.ms/privacy), and as may be described in the user interface associated with the software features.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    Basically this mean they can collect anything and hand over anything, the post by Terry is a joke and a way to clam up the people complaining and hope they buy the BS. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

Here is the win 10 from the aka.ms link - [/FONT]

Windows 10 ("Windows") is a personalized computing environment that enables you to seamlessly roam and access services, preferences and content across your computing devices from phones to tablets to the Surface Hub. Rather than residing as a static software program on your device, key components of Windows are cloud-based, and both cloud and local elements of Windows are updated regularly, providing you with the latest improvements and features. In order to provide this computing experience, we collect data about you, your device, and the way you use Windows. And because Windows is personal to you, we give you choices about the personal data we collect and how we use it.

Then there's a link in this paragraph, then link to link to link.

No where in all the links are you told exactly what is leaving your PC.

16. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  17. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012

@Odie: :hug2:

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    sometimes brain comes in an extra box :rasta: