Old AMI bios and MSDM insertion

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mishak, Feb 10, 2014.

1. mishak

mishak MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Hello, sorry to distrub all of you ( especially Yen).

I try to understand how to insert MSDM.
    My motherboard SuperMicro X8STi supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5016/SYS-5016T-T.cfm It is Ami bios. Amitool 1.63 insert SLIC good but ...

Now I learned to run mmtool v3.26, extract decompressed module 1B,then I found a program ami_1b_splitter.exe, which gives ACPITBL_SEG as a separate file . But I can not understand why all pointers to other tables in RSDT and XSDT - all zeros .
    In backup of my current bios - zeros too , although in rw-everything all tables good filled.

No pointers to the tables does not give me way to understand how to add MSDM: where in ACPITBL_SEG.
    I think I found a place for MSDM injection (between XSDT and FACP modules) but how to put pointers on new MSDM module in RSDT and XSDT i don't know.
    Even when I save the my not_good_odified 1B module in bios , amitool1.63 can not open it (error 6). I think this is due to incorrect checksum in my module 1B

- I can not find .jar for recheck/recalculate checksum of 1B module.
    - And I can not find AMI_AWARD_SUPER_STATIC.rar file for reading and best understanding

Could you help me in anything if you have the time

thank you

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    When you open your BIOS with AMITool it finds a SLIC 2.0 at F0 module already. When you press yes it chooses dynamic method. It simply replaces the SLIC (without header) at the F0 module.
    This is the reason why you cannot see static address pointers in the 1B module.

Trick:
    Open the original BIOS with AMITool, press cancel (not yes). Choose manufacturer other.
    Choose SSV3 method. (This is the method where you looking at! SSV3 means SuperStaticVersion3). Choose Dell SLIC 2.3 and press go.
    Do NOT use this modified BIOS (it has 2 SLIC tables now), have a look at 1B_SLIC.BIN and search for the start of the SLIC.
    Now REPLACE the SLIC with your MSDM table and key using winhex, be sure that the MSDM table sums to zero. MSDM must start at he same place where SLIC has started. (same offset, here F8A4h) Zero out the excess bytes of the SLIC, it uses more bytes (change them to 00).
    Save the 1b module.

Here is described how you change the key at MSDM / download a MSDMTable: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...-VMware/page11?p=783505&viewfull=1#post783505

Now open the original BIOS with MMTool. Replace the 1b module with it. You have now added a MSDMTable with SSV3 method and static addresses.
    Use now this BIOS with AMITool again. THIS time press yes and let the tool use dynamic method to replace the F0 module (SLIC2.0-->2.3).

If you have further questions please reply....I can later make a mod for you if you want.:)
    As a part of the developing process I know all the methods.....can explain to you...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mishak

mishak MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    I need replace NEW slic module with msdm? If so i did it, and filled by 00(zeroes) remaining part of NEW slic. Should I recalculate some checksums of new 1B module? Or just insert in original bios?

When i try to open original bios with inserter ssv3-modded 1B module, AMITool do not asked me "This BIOS has already have ...Allow modification?". I think it is not good. Or i need select OTHER again, than Dynamic, set checkbox USE MMTOOL and ... go??? P.S. can not use this way: error 6 ... overflow...

Thanks

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I'll test it when I am at home. It can be that the AMITool has problems if the MSDM is already added the SSV3 way.......
    Then you'd need first to add SLIC 2.3 (press yes) dynamic method. THEN replace 1b module with MSDM mod....

You only need to correct the sum of the MSDMTable, the sum of 1b module then also does not change, because the table sum must be zero.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  7. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    How can I insert an MSDM to a non-SLIC, legacy AMI BIOS such as P5Q Deluxe bios? SLIC mod using AMITool before or after MSDM mod? Any references? Thanks very much.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You are referring to a classic BIOS. :worthy:
    The ASUS P5 series BIOSes were the FIRST which could be SLIC'ed at all. It was on February 2007 when Aneo wrote about a potential flaw to exploit the SLP2.0 activation. He used the P5B BIOS as example. It was hard for me to get a proper translation of his document. :)
    ASUS prepared this series to have a SLIC inside in the future.

The Chinese then downloaded all available BIOS tools from a German BIOS collection site....there was no super static approach yet, to replace an already existing table was the way to go...or to dynamically allocate the table at Award BIOS....

A Chinese passed the method to me and I leaned myself to apply and develop methods (on IRC).
    I got my Vista activated on March 2007, self made dynamic Award mod...:D
    There were no loaders, no software, nothing by Daz....those all came much later....

Your BIOS still holds the FC module for a dynamic mod...later ASUS locked this method, but we broke it: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...ts-to-test-it-Disassembly-skills-are-welcome!

Nobody went for the dynamic FC mod anymore since SSV3 worked all the time and couldn't be locked by Asus anymore

Generally it is possible to add a second (MSDM) table besides of a SLIC to any BIOS (Award, AMI and PHOENIX).

Andy's tools are not made for it. Concerning AMI: If there is a dynamic method available I'd suggest to add the SLIC dynamically using AMITool first, THEN to replace the 1b module with a self made (replaced SLIC with MSDM) SSV3 mod using MMTool.

If there is no dynamic method available, both tables can be added manually the SSV3 way, there is enough space to put both tables into the 1b module. One simply would need to extend the RSDT /XSDT even further (+4/+8) to add a new address pointer pair behind the SLIC address pointers at RSDT/XSDT tables...

To flash the FC module afudos needs special switches though. Afudos /ixxxx.rom /pbnc /n, probably needed if default dynamic mod does not have a SLIC shown up.

A way to go @ASUS P5 series BIOSes: Make a dynamic SLIC mod with AMITool, choose manufacturer:ASUS.
    Then use this mod to replace the 1B module with the MDSM mod using MMTool.

So the answer is before MSDM mod as well. You'd have to use the firstly created 1B_SLIC.BIN to add the MDSMTable.

The general way at AMI BIOSes is to add both tables the SSV3 way. To add a SLIC one can use andy's tool. (SSV3 method).
    The MSDM has to be added later manually the same way....therefore one needs to know how SSV3 works...

Well, I thought to add a MSDMTable additionally is only for testing purposes, but since M$ reads generic SLP keys from it it could be interesting for many others.

Actually the thread contains anything that is needed to make a own mod....but I'll be glad to help if somebody is interested in special questions...:)

9. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
  10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #10 Yen, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #11 Yen, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks Yen, really helpful guide. Always learning the basic of bios mods from you. I have stickied this thread.

:hug2:

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You're welcome. There are not many left who were involved in the development of the basics and we have EFI already, so it's better to share, before I forget anything myself, lol. Enjoy. :hug2:

14. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Tried the msdm modded bios for Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter using the FUJITSU key. The MSDM table does show up in RWEverything ACPI tab and Windows remains activated. :worthy:

So, I guess it's about time to UPGRADE to 2012 R2...... :tasty:

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I thank you for your trust to test 'my' mod / tutorial.:hug2:

So we have finally a real confirmation.

16. 568822578

568822578 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2014
    really helpful guide very thanks