Old AMI bios and MSDM insertion

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mishak, Feb 10, 2014.

1. mishak

mishak MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Hello, sorry to distrub all of you ( especially Yen).

I try to understand how to insert MSDM.
    My motherboard SuperMicro X8STi supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5016/SYS-5016T-T.cfm It is Ami bios. Amitool 1.63 insert SLIC good but ...

Now I learned to run mmtool v3.26, extract decompressed module 1B,then I found a program ami_1b_splitter.exe, which gives ACPITBL_SEG as a separate file . But I can not understand why all pointers to other tables in RSDT and XSDT - all zeros .
    In backup of my current bios - zeros too , although in rw-everything all tables good filled.

No pointers to the tables does not give me way to understand how to add MSDM: where in ACPITBL_SEG.
    I think I found a place for MSDM injection (between XSDT and FACP modules) but how to put pointers on new MSDM module in RSDT and XSDT i don't know.
    Even when I save the my not_good_odified 1B module in bios , amitool1.63 can not open it (error 6). I think this is due to incorrect checksum in my module 1B

- I can not find .jar for recheck/recalculate checksum of 1B module.
    - And I can not find AMI_AWARD_SUPER_STATIC.rar file for reading and best understanding

Could you help me in anything if you have the time

thank you

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mishak

mishak MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    I need replace NEW slic module with msdm? If so i did it, and filled by 00(zeroes) remaining part of NEW slic. Should I recalculate some checksums of new 1B module? Or just insert in original bios?

When i try to open original bios with inserter ssv3-modded 1B module, AMITool do not asked me "This BIOS has already have ...Allow modification?". I think it is not good. Or i need select OTHER again, than Dynamic, set checkbox USE MMTOOL and ... go??? P.S. can not use this way: error 6 ... overflow...

Thanks

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I'll test it when I am at home. It can be that the AMITool has problems if the MSDM is already added the SSV3 way.......
    Then you'd need first to add SLIC 2.3 (press yes) dynamic method. THEN replace 1b module with MSDM mod....

You only need to correct the sum of the MSDMTable, the sum of 1b module then also does not change, because the table sum must be zero.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  7. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    How can I insert an MSDM to a non-SLIC, legacy AMI BIOS such as P5Q Deluxe bios? SLIC mod using AMITool before or after MSDM mod? Any references? Thanks very much.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  9. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
  10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #10 Yen, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #11 Yen, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks Yen, really helpful guide. Always learning the basic of bios mods from you. I have stickied this thread.

:hug2:

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You're welcome. There are not many left who were involved in the development of the basics and we have EFI already, so it's better to share, before I forget anything myself, lol. Enjoy. :hug2:

14. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Tried the msdm modded bios for Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter using the FUJITSU key. The MSDM table does show up in RWEverything ACPI tab and Windows remains activated. :worthy:

So, I guess it's about time to UPGRADE to 2012 R2...... :tasty:

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I thank you for your trust to test 'my' mod / tutorial.:hug2:

So we have finally a real confirmation.

16. 568822578

568822578 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2014
    really helpful guide very thanks

17. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    @Yen
    Thank you for creating this tuto, it is really well detailed, i was looking for such tuto for a while as i wanted to inject MSDM table into a slic and i have finally found it => https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/old-ami-bios-and-msdm-insertion.52378/#post-900176

So i followed exactly all the steps you mentionned in the tuto and i was able to create the 1B_MSDM.bin file containing MSDM table with my own key, RSDT and XSDT then i used MM_Tool to replace 1B by the one that i've just created (1B_MSDM.bin) then save it as rom file but the problem is that when i wanted to check if the rom file contains MSDM table, it says "MSDM was not found" so logically it means that the MSDM table was not placed into the rom file when it was there in the 1B_MSDM.bin file that was created after placing MSDM table then editing RSDT and XSDT.

So how come the MSDM table does not appear into the final rom file ? is it normal that MSDM table was not found into the rom file ?

i used this MM-tool version (MMTool_3.19_Mod_21FiX.exe)

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Usually the modules will be compressed flowing a certain compression algo before they replace the original one.
    This means you won't find the MSDM string when searching for it at the modified BIOS ROM file.

But you can extract the 1b module again from the modified ROM using MMtool and check it there.....I am sure you find it. :)

WoW, I am glad that my old tutorial is still useful after that long time.:)

19. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
  20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    As mentioned....BIOS images that are made for real hardware (mainboard) contain a compressed 1B module to save space. By compressing it you of course change the bytes of the module and the MSDM string vanishes. It's just like when you rar or zip a file. The strings do vanish as well.

The bios440.rom is a virtual bios for VM, though. It's special....and therefore an exception.

It took time to study it and to find out HOW Microsoft has implemented that there. Since the ACPITable name appears there as real ASCII we knew it cannot be compressed.
    The first thing we wanted to achieve that time was to insert a real working SLIC table there and therefore we needed to understand the module header bytes and checksums.

This thread shows the development: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/can-the-hyper-v-bios-be-modded.2829/page-7#post-58832
    After we could insert a working SLIC we got interested in adding a MSDM table as well putting all knowledge together.

For the sake of curiosity...if you want to verify.
    MMTool lets you choose if you want to insert the module compressed or uncompressed. The default is compressed and should not change.
    If you insert/replace it choosing uncompressed the MSDM string in the BIOS.ROM images survives. (If it still fits in there because of original size).