Old AMI bios and MSDM insertion

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mishak, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    i see, thank you for all these information, it was really very instructive.
    i have a question, is there any way to inject a rom file made from a real machine into VMware to do a simple test ?
    i suppose it's not possible since VMWare uses specific chipset 440BX which can only be emulated with "bios440.rom" file. Do you confirm ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes I confirm. BIOS means BasicInputOutputSystem. It's a specific (operating) system made to initialize the specific hardware and therefore unique.

A VM BIOS initializes virtual hardware specifically made to run a VM.
    Besides of that there are different BIOS vendors with completely different module structures. (AMI, Award, Phoenix...Insyde, Aptio, etc...etc..)
    The successor of BIOS, (U)EFI has got a more unified structure.

It is possible to cross-flash different BIOSes on other mainboards, but only if the mainboards are very similar. But doing this might lead to issues anyway and it's not advisable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Would manual mod also work on Phoenix-bios-types? I want to try to add a MSDM-table to a already SLIC'd rom.

For example: When opening a rom with PhoenixTool, shown status: "Phoenix BIOS (New style)", its being decompressed(?), but in DUMP-folder i can't find any file, which is similar/contains XSDT or RSDT like in the example of the ASUS P5Q-bios, which was written by @Yen (btw, very good posting).

So i guess the part is still decrypted or compressed?