Optimize-Offline Guide - Windows Debloating Tool, Windows 1803, 1903, 19H2, 1909, 20H1 and LTSC 2019

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by KedarWolf, Jul 30, 2019.

1. spanishfly

spanishfly MDL Senior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    It is hard to figure out what's wrong. You may not want to hear this, but I do know a that running a script with elevated TI privileges is a good way to test your host operating system's stability. If it fails then you've maybe disabled too much or your OS is broken.
    Figuring out what needs to be turned back on or updated is truly challenging. Sometimes it's easier to test the script in a fresh virtual machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rentay

rentay MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Got it working, the directory I was trying to run the script from must've been too long

Should I still disable SecHealthUI from System Apps?

3. spanishfly

Dec 5, 2018
    #1703 spanishfly, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. spanishfly

Dec 5, 2018
  5. spanishfly

Dec 5, 2018
    #1707 spanishfly, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    @gdeliana
    I suddenly remembered that the OO script natively applies an optional online component!
    That was the other reason I didn't go further with integrating ToggleDefender.bat. I couldn't think how to include the required online aspect.
    I forgot that "SetupComplete.cmd" calls "Refresh-Explorer.ps1" which self-implants into "$Env:SystemRoot\Refresh-Explorer.ps1 and adds registry entries to make itself accessible from the right-click desktop menu.

The part that would make this less likily for me to achieve is I don't quite understand how 'Refresh-Explorer.ps1' does the self-implant trick, but you may have completely different, and better, plans for how to make ToggleDender integration work!

6. gdeliana

gdeliana MDL Senior Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Hello mate :)

Actually my whole plan is just to take some reg keys from the ToggleDefender @BAU script. Maybe reg keys that have been left out or new ones that have come up later since the time the script part was written by @GodHand . I don't think there is anything else needed. But i liked the DormanDefender switch idea, is not a bad one. Just check my comments in the PR you made me, and if we can shave those issues off and make a solid user experience then i am more than glad to add the switch :)

Refresh-Explorer is called from Content\Additional\Setup\SetupComplete.cmd. At least this is the only place i can find in the sourcecode.

7. spanishfly

Dec 5, 2018
    my reply here https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...20h1-and-ltsc-2019.80038/page-86#post-1716986 is a silmular suggestion. Try running the script in a fresh virtual machine.
    The other possibility is to post your issue on this thread: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/lean-and-mean-snippets-for-power-users.83479/ and see if someone can advise you on how to repair your OS.

8. spanishfly

Dec 5, 2018
    #1716 spanishfly, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    HI!
    The switch I added is ok, but I prefer your plan and to incorporate ToggleDefender in a way that makes it easy for the user to activate/deactivate defender from maybe a script in the desktop context menu or something like that.
    Yes, the only method I've seen used is to inject an additional Online Scripts by including the script in the "Content\Additional\Setup\" folder and call the script from Content\Additional\Setup\SetupComplete.cmd.
    Another example applied by GodHand in earlier versions of OO was a script that forced the creation of a restore point. This script was applied in the same manner as Refresh-Explorer and was accessed online from Right-clicking the desktop context menu.

I replied to your comments to the PR. The short-answer is I've placed responsibility for the user having the expected experience on their ability to read and comprehend the explanation of Dormant Defender I put into the README.md. If you think I need to be more clear with what I wrote there, than I'm happy to fix that.

9. spanishfly

Dec 5, 2018
  10. ghostwalkergamma

ghostwalkergamma MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2017
    Yeah, I tried main branch too, and I never use the drivers option anyway. Here's my latest configuration:

Code:
    {
      "SourcePath": "Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021.iso",
      "WindowsApps": "None",
      "SystemApps": "Whitelist",
      "Capabilities": "None",
      "Packages": "None",
      "FeaturesToEnable": "None",
      "FeaturesToDisable": "List",
      "Services": "None",
      "DeveloperMode": false,
      "WindowsStore": false,
      "MicrosoftEdge": false,
      "Win32Calc": false,
      "Dedup": false,
      "DaRT": [],
      "Registry": true,
      "Additional": {
        "Setup": true,
        "Wallpaper": false,
        "SystemLogo": false,
        "LockScreen": false,
        "RegistryTemplates": true,
        "LayoutModification": false,
        "Unattend": false,
        "Drivers": false,
        "NetFx3": true
      },
      "ComponentCleanup": true,
      "ISO": "No-Prompt",
      "CompressionType": "Maximum",
      "SelectiveRegistry": {
        "DisableWindowsUpgrade": false,
        "DisableWindowsUpdateMicrosoft": false,
        "DisableDriverUpdate": false,
        "DormantOneDrive": true,
        "Disable3rdPartyApps": true,
        "W11ClassicInterface": true,
        "ClassicSearchExplorer": true,
        "RemoveTaskbarPinnedIcons": true
      }
    }

11. ghostwalkergamma

ghostwalkergamma MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2017
    Tks for the advice,I tried to keep my post short since a long post may cause annoyance in many other forums, maybe it's not the case for MDL :)
    Regarding your troubleshooting steps, I ran BAU's script after killing explorer, and the path is pretty short (D:\Win10LTSC)
    I also turned off many switches with the exception of SystemApps and FeaturestoDisable, I may try a trail run run later