PC keeps restarting...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Notorious791, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Like Joe C said: Don't worry about a BIOS update just yet. Get everything working first.

@Joe C: I wonder if any of those pads are ground pads. That could create a weird ground loop which would be difficult to find.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I suspect once those extra standoffs are removed, the problems might be over

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Ram sticks can need a good squeeze so i usually support the board with my thumbs underneath the slot and press down with my fingers, easy if there is a big cutout for cpu cooler. If the board is out i place it on a flat surface with a bit of cardboard undernath the slots where the solder points are sso the points go into the cradboard and cushion them.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: If a standoff is in the wrong place, it might short out lands on the PC board.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    yup... can't tell you how many times I've seen noobs do a first install and the pc won't post because of the standoffs not located properly. Luckily, 99% of the time no damage is done to the motherboard after those standoffs are removed.
    Edit; I'm not trying to imply that the OP is a noob by any means.
    Personally I've experienced that those darn tabs on the I/O shield get caught up in the usb ports on the board, and I don't see it until I attempt to plug in a usb keyboard/mouse. Back to pulling the board and fixing that I/O shield

6. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #28 GOD666, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Are you using the correct case for the correct motherboard? It sounds like you're reusing an older case and if it is old enough it may not be fitting to the standard ATX layout. Cardboard is not a suitable way to support your motherboard in its case (especially since it is easily combustible).

edit: Nevermind. -- I see you were referring to using it as a tech bench (I'd still advise not using cardboard). I also got you confused with the OP. lol -- Time for an avatar @lewcass

7. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #29 GOD666, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    I would not recommend it, just the same. I have never experienced positive results when mixing ram sticks (ever), regardless if I was using Intel (consumer), Intel Xeon, or AMD. If you visit most hardware forums (Tom's Hardware forum or Linus Tech Tips for example), you'll discover that is usually the culprit for many new folks building their computer (it's an easy fix too).

But I digress, as I do believe the ram on the right does not look "OK". If you look closer, not only is the sticker looking as if it is slowly burning a bit (suggesting high heat), the board itself looks a bit off too. I would suggest ram with heat spacers (heatsinks) and if he's going to replace the ram, he may as well get a matching set.

edit: I would also still suggest for this reason she/he look into their cooling too.

8. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Aww cmon GOD gimme a break for crying out loud :p. Case is a corsair obsidian with a dirty great cutout on the motherboard mount panel. THe board is one of the smaller matx ones, 2 holes wide, 2 ram slots. If i need to unplug/plug ram in there is room i can support the board as describbed, same with the 24 pin power plug, i take care not to flex the board at all. Cardboard is used when the board is out of the case and and NO power leads are connected.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    They also have a different timing. Both have the same clock speed 1600 MHz (DDR3-1600). One can mix sticks but auto timings or timing read from SPD might fail then, since one has to use timings of the slowest stick.

The right one has a brown board whereas the left one has a green (boreholes). Both are green-coated, though.
    Both are fine (from my perspective, might be due to different white balance of the photo).

10. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I had good results, with later Asus socket 775 motherboards with DDR2 at 333 Mhz and standard latencies, if I first manually set the DRAM voltage to 1.90V in the BIOS, then insert the other 2 DDR2 SDRAM modules. It appeared that mixing SDRAM modules and filling all 4 slots without raising the DRAM voltage first, resulted in freezing at the motherboard logo.
    After the DRAM voltage was raised to 1.90V, everything passed!
    That's how I had 8 GB of DDR2!

11. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #33 GOD666, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    The sheer amount of folks (other than myself) who commonly run into issues when mixing ram sticks is enough to never recommended it for me. I have never known it to be otherwise (minus the occasional random person online). I amount it equal to the random lucky person (on a car forum) who will claim they safely drove their car 100 miles with a flat tire. Sure, you've heard the store, but realistically, the vast majority wouldn't know what to make of your unicorn. :p

I'm sure it can be done. They taught us in school that you "could" (at least on paper). :rofl: But realistically, I wouldn't try and even if successful, I would not want to buy into it long term. ;)

12. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    rebooting is usually HW related PSU,MOBO,MEM or GPU but make sure your not shorting anything out usually a short will give u a burn smell and thats bad news...if no burn smell is one of the other four.

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Usually you buy RAM sticks pair-wise (dual channel) or even triple channel (for instance for the old Socket 1366). They are sold pair-wise (and as triple) for that purpose having same batch number

But later then you might upgrade to more physical memory and those aren't available anymore...you either can mix or replace totally. I did the former when I upgraded from 6 to 16 GiB....no issues with manual timing.

There is still some incompatibility though. Although there are clear specifications.
    There are still RAM stick/board combinations which simply do not work together

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Well it's been almost 6 days since the OP has made any replies.......
    Was this issue fixed?

15. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Well, it works like this: You must first have a dual channel kit, then you can install 2 more sticks, as long as they can at least handle the same frequency and latencies that the dual channel kit is operating at.

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if the standoff is 1 or 2 mm away and board heats up after 5 mins it warps and touches the standoff.
    or the memory timing mixup.

17. Oxygen_IT

Oxygen_IT MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2018
    1)Remove new RAM, if you get a few days without a issue, then reinstall that RAM and monitor it.
    2)Reseat GPU.

3)Note the time on the PC that the reboots happen and check them against the Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Applications , aswell as Windows Logs > System. Look for errors within the minute of the crash IE between 13:59:00 and 13:59:59.