[PLEASE READ] Microsoft and Privacy

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Michaela Joy, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Yen you are so wrong in so so many of your posts. Yet again right on cue - you have done it again. Are you a qualified psycho analyst?

You make umpteen posts telling members why they are wrong, why what they have said is wrong, why they should look at this fact or that fact, why something they have posted is invalid, why they should ask themselves this or that question. We are mature adults and capable of making our own decisions without your persistent psycho analysis of what we have posted. You post that it is their opinion while running rampant with your opinion. Of course as an admin have the ban button at your disposal.

This while privacy/spying thing has gotten way out of hand with the anti brigade getting so upset at anything that dares to contradict what they believe. If I am to be banned for flatly refuting your persistent and amateurish psycho analysis of members posts then plz let ancestor decide upon my banning - not you. Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009

@Yen, I agree with you that we are spied on totally on all our activities, moneywise, healthwise, behaviourwise, simply everything but, NOW COMES THE BUT: Microsoft is, if ever only a small part of that entire game and using linix or other soft makes no difference. I rather go shopping with cash than pay something on the internet using PayPal. My wallets are filled with money which THEY cannot control, I even write letters by hand and send them with the good old post or simply talk to my friend face to face not using a social media like facebook or twitter. My cellular is mostly off-line
    I'm really tired about that spy thing. You cannot change it, I cannot change it and MDL with all such theatrical individuals also will not do it

3. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Someone calling Windows 10 "overall excellent" maybe isn't suitable for judging things like this. In fact it's hard to impossible to judge since there is no long-term experience.

But - in the recent past, we have seen what agencies, companies and people themselves are able to do: Snowden, NSA, Big Data, Facebook... just to give some key words. My personal decision against any of these practices does not exclusively rely on first hand knowledge because I've experienced data espionage myself but also from seeing what is happening to other people and what is thinkable today... saying NO before it is too late. As Snowden had his "breaking point" when the Director of National Intelligence under oath was lying to Congress...

We will see what is happening in the future. Maybe Windows 10 is the perfect choice and Linux will turn out to be directly transferring everything about it's users to unknown entities... let's see.

Yes. No change please. Don't even try.

I am closing here now. There won't be any facts but only personal view points, assumptions and interpretations of the Win10 EULA. And as we are back again to name calling, diagnosing paranoia and the general NSA discussion I can(not) see where this is going...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Why did I move this thread to Serious Discussions?
    Because privacy is an important topic and after some reconsideration, decision is to move it here.

Why did I re-open it?
    I want this discussion to be ongoing and with time there will be facts, I believe. It's about discussing facts or quoting EULAs/officials, not about calling each other paranoid or a spy or so.

Keep this thread clean guys and girls!

5. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Thank you!

For a while there I thought the detractors had won a small victory getting this important topic closed down, thankfully wisdom prevailed :biggrin:

This is an important point, as I too believe that the future will show Microsoft's true intentions. A wise man once said, never mind what people say, observe what people do, it is by their actions you shall know their true intentions.

This leads me to be observant of what Microsoft does, not what it says in its EULA and attached service agreements. This is extremely important to keep note of, because the wording is oft intent of what their later actions will show.

Whilst many may say Microsoft are not spying/mining/keeping tabs on pirated software and so on, of which this may indeed be the case as of right now, what about tomorrow, or next year, or whenever Microsoft feel that phase two will have minimal backlash?

Its extremely important imho that there be a place to discuss ONGOING revelations as more information comes to light. Not only that, but a place to inform people what is indeed already taking place, and what may take place in the future.

Personally I think Windows 10 as it stands today is only a shadow of what's to come in regards to obtaining people's personal information. The future will be interesting indeed ...

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Thank You Ancestor(V) for reopening this thread. I agree with You on two points;

1 ) These matters are important, if for nothing else but keeping everybody safe.

2 ) There are options with regards to what OS is available to You.

Windows has always been My go-to OS. It's easy to use, robust, and despite the telemetry worries, has almost -never- let Me down.

I have never wanted to move past Windows 7. It has been adequate for My needs. My recording studio software runs great on Windows 7. And, I will not give up developing for Windows.

With that said, I decided to give Linux Mint a go. I now have a dual-boot machine that is running both Windows 7 and Linux Mint.

I am posting this from Mint as we speak. :)

I highly recommend a dual-boot Windows / Linux installation to everybody. There are over 70,000 free programs available on Mint. Cost-Free, as well as open source. There's a lot to be said for that. :)

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I had a conversation with Ancestor(v) after he has closed the thread, pointing on the importance of the topic. :)

@Nucleus. You should expect that when addressing one personally that you will get an reply.
    Just one thing to my position as admin and personal defence. I do never ban members because they have a different opinion. I do not abuse my job! ;)
    Also speaking about paranoia while others blaming for being an amateurish psycho analyst sounds doubtful. :rolleyes:
    I actually had expected that when you don't agree with my opinion: "To agree with an unknown (encrypted) content which is collected by M$ is unreasonable" to post why it is reasonable to you to agree with it instead of being upset.

Nevermind. :)

I am also on Mint. I'll use it whenever it's suitable for my needs / works. For my pro work I use windows.
    And I continue to post useful info @MDL for all windows users as I did with gatherosstate.exe.

What I don't like is that people are categorizing me as M$ hater.

Yen

8. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: You have shown Me kindness and respect since I have been here. Thank You for that, and for being My friend. And I apologize for not including You in My thanks. :)

We are not Microsoft haters. I like Windows 7. The truth is, We have found a way to enjoy the best of both worlds; To me, that's an ideal place to be.
    bjorn96 has indicated that he encountered problems installing Linux Mint along side Windows 10. I hope he finds a solution and posts it at MDL.

I hope that the privacy issues of Windows 10 are resolved, so that everyone can safely use it. And, from what I'm reading in the Windows 10 forum, people are making progress along these lines.

Let's see what happens next.

9. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    #609 nodnar, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    i appreciate that this thread has the attention of the mods. BUT

BUT i have seen some trolling here. a lot, in fact.
    from people who could know better, after umpteen posts.
    i have thanked nucleus for his promise to keep out this thread.
    vain hope.
    i do not belong to the anti-w10 brigade. i do belong to the anti-spying brigade, however.
    and i wonder if people shrieking that they want `facts` are in the pay of m$.
    closing this thread was a jolly good idea, imo, if only to eliminate all the trolling about eula`s
    and all the shrieking demanding for `facts`. there are no known facts. yet. they will materialise
    in m$`good time, of course. since i do not happen to trust m$ on their blue eyes or screens, i think
    this thread served a purpose to warn members for waiting until we see the `facts`materialise.
    but i wash my hands of personal comments from from the pro-w10 brigade. windows is compromised,
    imo, by m$`own activities, regardless of what shrieking members say. so looking around for some open-source
    os system before it is too late, is only wise. and as such i hope it served its purpose.
    but, ancestor, yen, you`ll get no thanks from me for reopening it. i hate to see disrespect for members.
    and i think we`ll see much more of the same here. more is the pity...

10. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    I think this thread has lost the idea for which was created.:dunno:

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @nodnar: You're right. There has been a fair amount of trolling in here. But nowhere near as much as has been seen when this topic was discussed on earlier occasions. To be honest, I'm proud of the hundreds of members who have posted their concerns here. They have done so in a civilized fashion, and together, We have learned a lot.

If we put aside the nay-sayers and the trolls, this thread has been a stunning success. People from all over the world have shared their thoughts. And We were the first to discuss these matters here on MDL.

I wonder how many others have looked at these discussions and started to question what is going on? And how many people have actually started to take privacy seriously, because of these conversations? (which, btw, are publicly visible)

We at MDL are pioneers. Many of us have worked at or are still working at cutting edge positions in technology.
    We are not hallucinating loonies, We are respectable people, showing the rest of the world the truth.
    With that said, We have not strayed from our agenda. Not in the least. Our own people are working on solutions to thwart the intrusive data collection practices of Windows 10. And You can bet that they'll find out how to block everything, and still allow the OS to provide an acceptable experience for those who choose to use Windows 10.

And for those who do not wish to upgrade to Windows 10, there are ways to remove Telemetry from Windows 7 / 8.x
    They're posted in the respective forums.

Don't give up hope. We are still "on point". And the World is watching Us. And waiting to see what We'll do.

;)

12. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    give up hope, ohno.. not me..
    but at times it is an uphill struggle, you know.
    and the world is not really watching. and yes,
    you`re right. people can still discuss such things in
    a civilized fashion.and they do, for mb 80%.. it is
    just sad that here we mostly have the other 20% around,
    usually.. if you scroll down to thread information, i am sure
    you`ll see what i mean. ;)

13. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
    #613 MysTikAL3, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    Exactly...:yes:

Microsoft will not do or show it's full intentions with Windows 10, until it has snagged 100,000's of millions consumers and removed those same users of their earlier 7 and 8.1 Windows editions.
    The earlier Windows editions did not give Microsoft the control, the power, and the $$$$$$$$$$$ that they desperately want and relentlessly fight for today with Windows 10.
    Nothing 'controversial' or 'damning' will come out against Windows 10 (that is concrete evidence) during their Windows 10 free OS push for a year...not if Microsoft Corporation can stop it.
    Does anyone think otherwise? It's obvious....
    M$ is not stupid, nor are they 'uninterested' in your private data as so many trolls have touted across these threads and the web...:rolleyes:
    This discussion will be very interesting and very different indeed, after Microsoft's monstrous 10 sales push has long passed....

The true colors and the truth of their intent does come out, eventually...
    A simple case in point...for many years now the US media, politicians, and the so called 'experts' have touted that it was all nothing but from conspiracy theory nutjobs that rightly claimed numerous federal crimes had been committed, with outright and deliberate deception, and that lies to the people and Congress were rampant from the Hillary camp throughout the past 6+ years...
    Well, it has taken many years to uncover, but the crimes themselves are very clear now.
    Investigations into the exact 'depth' and 'breadth' of those crimes are now ongoing...
    FBI investigation of Hillary’s emails is ‘criminal probe’
    August 5, 2015
    Hillary Clinton Should be Terrified That Jim Comey Is Investigating Her Email Crimes Aug. 14, 2015

Look at how many years passed before concrete evidence of the Microsoft/NSA partnership surfaced;
    Microsoft openly offered cloud data to the NSA

Look at what a different light has been shed on Windows 10 in just over the past few weeks...:eek:
    Who knows where will it be in 12-18 mos.?.....:drive1:

[​IMG]

More...
    Windows 10 is FORCING ITSELF onto domain happy Windows 7 PCs

14. pirithous

pirithous MDL Member

Dec 17, 2014
    #614 pirithous, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    It's already headed in that direction: Ubuntu. Linux's sweet spot is its license and the licenses which most software titles that run on Linux use (GPL and similar). Sure, there is proprietary Linux software out there but this is where freedom of choice comes in. For example, there are proprietary security suites available for Linux servers that most people haven't even heard of. These are software titles that will lock a Linux server down beyond what you can perform with the out-of-the-box configuration defaults and tools. That's not to say that some distributions don't offer great out-of-the-box security systems like AppArmor or SELinux. There are other security suites that are open source choices. It's all up the I.T. administrator, which boils down to her technical skill level, years of experience in the field, and the most cost-effective choice for any given small business or enterprise environment. Even though Windows does indeed have free software available for the platform (not as in free beer), the software titles are more often than not closed source because of the development culture and market segment.

In the Linux sector, you have large groups of users in different sectors. Those that don't mind the built-in spy-by-default "feature" of Ubuntu will stay with Ubuntu. Those that find another distro aligned with their politics and needs will stay with that distro. Freedom of choice is where it's at. The problem with Windows 10 and Windows in general is that since the source code isn't open, you have to "just trust Microsoft" that what they're doing is what's in the user's best interest. Since, as I have repeatedly written, Windows has progressively gotten more intrusive and spied more with every successive version, many people are starting to question Microsoft's motives. A vague EULA doesn't help the situation either, and the amount of immunity they've attempted to legally grant themselves is not only appalling but currently backfiring on them. That's why they modified the EULA just recently. I suspect another change is coming again, and maybe even another after that. Microsoft is not known for getting things right on the first, second, or even third try. I will give them that.

Microsoft will make incremental changes only, when it comes to software patches and their EULA. This conditions people to slowly and subliminally accept whatever crap Microsoft decides to foist on the user next, and in some cases it can be a user benefit (like MS starting to release patch details after being inundated with complaints). It's all about testing people to see where the demarcation point is in terms of how much they can get away with. They're doing forced updates to see if people will swallow it; if people are up in arms about this, then they'll release a patch or series of patches that gives back users the choice of not having updates be an all or nothing ordeal. The more they can track you and get you to buy stupid crappy apps in their dilapidated app store, the more the shareholders make. Microsoft isn't in the business of making Windows more secure and having better code quality for the sole purpose of a developer's pride. That fact on its face alone is enough to arrive to an obvious answer. If common sense is lacking for some, they can always turn to leaks written by Microsoft employees to fully drive the nail in with a hammer:

http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=74

Conversations take a turn towards the conspiratorial level when people start questioning if Microsoft is working with the NSA, and we already know this is 100% true from the Snowden leaks. Microsoft was the first to participate in the PRISM program, Skype is backdoored and has been for years, and Microsoft releases Windows zero-day vulnerabilities to NSA before they're patched.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/06/nsa-gets-early-access-to-zero-day-data-from-microsoft-others/

You may ask yourself why MS is dragging their feet through the US court system in regards to the data in Ireland that the FBI wants to get their hands on. The answer is that they're not doing it because they actually give a rat's ass about their users' security. Only companies that care more about than dollar signs behave that way. They solely care about PR, and if they lose the case it's a huge blow to the entire cloud computing industry. In this case, even anti-Microsoft companies are jumping on board to show their support. Microsoft's big problem of today, is trust and the impending (and already happening) irrelevance of Windows. Windows is going stale, and people are starting to wake up that the alternatives are better, more secure, and more cost-effective.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2014/07/14/windows-use-at-14-percent.aspx

15. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    :worthy: thank you for the sanity of a well-argued post. very refreshing here, imho.
    stale is about right..

16. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I guess I know what you are pointing to, but would you mind explaining it anyways?

17. pirithous

pirithous MDL Member

Dec 17, 2014
    #617 pirithous, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #618 R29k, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

19. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Even a small plug for Linux Mint thrown in to that interview :clap:

20. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I'm aware of what Stallman said... and even that is a controversy. OK, like basically everything. Here we have to find a way between suitability for the average home user and those Linux Mint/Ubuntu derivatives are the most downloaded distros. And: Linux is open source. So you can check what is going on and alone this fact against closed source software...

If this is the only concern for the last 15 years (SELinux doesn't seem to be a problem despite initial or ongoing NSA involvement) then we're still very very good here.

But I guess you're right about the rest. We're living in interesting times :D