[PLEASE READ] Microsoft and Privacy

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Michaela Joy, Aug 5, 2015.

1. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Another good link I just saw that I thought I'd share:
    lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: The link that You posted is a classic example of technology being changed in a way that is detrimental to the user at large. The average user would not have a clue that this did not work, and would be falsely led to believe that they were safe.

This both frightens and angers me.

:MJ

5. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    You and me both. That's a bunch of BS. :nono3: Suddenly this walled rose garden smells like $#!t. :mad:

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, the same is with Android. Without to know to root it you cannot even block certain apps from getting internet access...you cannot even refuse their rights to access personal data like your address book there.
    And I even can understand those who are not concerned, because there is no direct negative effect noticeable, except you are prominent and some have leaked private pictures from your clouds...:)

What do you mean? There is no working whitelist?! :confused:
    Would be fine then!

7. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    No, I meant in terms of what MJ said in reply to your post - it frightens & angers me as well.
    The notion that I am not in control of what my computer can & cannot talk to is an absolute deal breaker.
    It's bad enough that us Win10 fans have to go to these lengths to protect our privacy by turning off all this opt-in nonsense, but if MS is circumventing the hosts file as a means of blocking communication from my machine that I bought & paid for to the outside world, then they can go and shove it and I'm rolling back to 7, pronto.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I see! :)
    There is always a way, but the efforts to realize become more and more complex this applies to Android as well...btw pjoter discovered that on w8 already...
    As long as modifications are tried to realize on their territory (OS) one sooner or later needs to expect that they get reset by update. So one needs to apply them by 3rd party apps (firewall) constantly or on the router itself..oh well...

9. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Wrong. I advocate not using Windows and Microsoft products at all... no modifying, nothing. Totally avoiding MS stuff.

Wrong. Unless you're blindly using all of this stuff, it is no surprise to me and many other people that they collect data. So, same as above: avoid Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Apple and Google as much as possible.

As said, there is no 100% safety, but you can try to be as good as possible.

10. pirithous

pirithous MDL Member

Dec 17, 2014
  11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @ancestor(v): When MS releases "Windows", their "pay-for-play" OS, I will build a Linux machine for surfing the Web. I will still use Windows 7 for certain commercial products that are not available in Linux.

That's true. Facebook is an abomination, and a privacy nightmare.

Funny...You mention 5 of my least favorite things. :)

True.

12. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  13. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Anything that works is, by definition, viable. If Linux were not viable nobody would be using it.

Another fallacy. I live in a building and, at any time, I can call an engineer to verify if the building will not collapse at the first rain. And if I do not trust this engineer, I call can another one, and so on. Therefore, even not being myself an engineer, I can have the building where I live examined. This is Linux.

Windows is like a building that no engineer can really verify.

14. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @rEApEAt: It's worse than that. Windows is a building that an engineer has to break the law to verify.

15. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    linux is hardly the invention of the wheel.. saw more system crashes there than i saw bsod`s in windose.. and i saw enough of those.. but there comes a time that we must have a rethink.. and m$ is sure pushing us in that direction..

16. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    So you're saying Linux will work for the average user.... No, it will not, the average user would have more problems with open source than they do with Windows. I'm not in any way knocking Linux, it is great for those who want to invest the time and energy and have the ability to use it.

You intentionally chose to misinterpret what I was saying.

17. pirithous

pirithous MDL Member

Dec 17, 2014
    #77 pirithous, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    More non sequitur psychobabble from the already proven Microsoft shill-troll...can any halfway intelligent person take even one post of garbage you post here seriously? I would say no. I would think out of 1000 posts that at this point you would be able to write something backed up with facts and evidence, but unfortunately for you it seems as though you don't have the mental capacity to do so. "The average user would have more problems with open source than Windows". Do you realize how stupid that statement is? Open Source is not Linux! Yes, Linux is "open source", but open source is also a gazillion other things. Way to go to be so vague. By the way, MS open sourced .NET. I guess that means it's worse than Windows.

trolls.jpg

18. pirithous

pirithous MDL Member

Dec 17, 2014
    #78 pirithous, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    There are many relevant topics in this video which touch on privacy issues surrounding Windows 10:

19. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Partially true. If you use the latest version of desktop version of any Linux distro, the stability could be a problem (i.e., you may see desktop freeze up etc once a month or so); the LTS versions, on the other hand, are stable. I have been dual boot Win8.1 with Ubuntu 14.04.2 for a while, and there has been only once when my desktop froze, during a year of using it. It can do almost anything you can do on a Win machine. I only switch to Win when I need ms office, adobe stuff. I don't do games. But even you are a gamer, there is Steam on Linux.

20. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @pirithous: Sorry I took your post and quoted it, but I think that your post will help me to drive home my point. :)

When I was young girl, A very wise person told me that there are two subjects that should -never- be discussed among friends; Religion and Politics.

I respectfully submit a third candidate: Linux vs Windows.

@Dolorous Edd, rEApEAt: I would like to respond to both of your posts at once. Hopefully, I'll have provided a common point that we can all agree upon.

Linux -is- a viable OS. It serves many important purposes, including handling some of the worlds' most sensitive data.

HOWEVER: IMHO, it is not an OS for the masses. The average person has enough of a difficult time understanding, caring for, and using Windows on a day by day basis.

When I was an active Consultant, I witnessed my business partner being "dressed down"(screamed at) by a senior bond trader at a brokerage house in Manhattan.

She said to Him: "I DON'T GIVE A F**K ABOUT THIS COMPUTER, WINDOWS OR THE PROGRAMS THAT ARE ON IT! IF IT DOESN'T MAKE MY LIFE EASIER, THEN TAKE IT AND THROW IT OUTTA' THAT F**KING WINDOW OVER THERE!"

Well...Needless to say, I never forgot that. :)

My point? Viability is a relative term.