[POLL] Windows 8.1 gets better than 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by nexus76, Jun 27, 2013.

?

What do you think about the Windows 8.1 Preview?

1. Look & Feel is better than in Windows 8, I'm pretty impressed

59.0%
  2. Don't know what to think about Windows 8.1 Preview

6.2%
  3. Windows 8.1 Preview sucks, Microsoft did not understand us

27.5%
  4. Let's see, maybe it's getting better, the start button is a nice idea ; )

7.3%
  1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There no any objective statistics! It's very simple why: they're subjective! And build an own picture on Statistics is as subjective as it could! And those result from Google are also just subjective, based on and at the time the new Version of and still controversial OS is just around the corner, which isn't taken in account!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    “Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who, refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.”
    ― Albert Einstein

... Just something to think about :tea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    What more 8.1 'll bring..?? It's almost the same as 8 except useless start button..

There is a sayin.. "It's always better to have something than nothing" and that's what ms is fooling people with..

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You're a bit wrong with that statement! Fact is that there a lot changes, to the better and the worst! And there for sure it's NOT "almost the same as 8", for that there were already to many changes just (as not the best example) take a look and compare PC-Settings of that 2 OS's! And much more are done which some users like and others dislike.

There a lot of comments bout the "New Start Button" mostly fro those self called "Experts" in negative means. After testing 8.1 Preview with a bunch of normal Office Workers who are normally use Windows 8 Enterprise over the last 2 weeks, we found that they were happy to get that Start Button, even with no Start Menu! They also asked for to get the 8.1 as their productive OS NOW even it's just Beta, which we denied!
    And here it goes, majority of User of Windows OS's are NOT "Experts", that's normal People who using the computer for their work and fun and not for bothers with Apps and OS, they want just achieve what they're looking for! Microsoft have just listen to the people asking for an Start Button by majority and NOT the Start Menu to be back and those majority of people just normal users and NOT Expert's!

And all of that may not tells the real because the 8.1 is still and till now a Beta and NOBODY really knows (yet) what the Final will be!

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    whatever happened between the 2 8.1 previews and the current leak I don't know. Plenty of editing and code changes. There is about 2.3gb (x86) and 2.4gb (x64) worth of differences. That is almost as bad as trying to make a delta from Win7 to Win8. No idea what all was changed, but plenty for sure.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    And there will be even more changes with the RTM/Final! Again: to the Good and the Worst!

7. eydee

eydee Guest

#47 eydee, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
    This is something on topic, so worth commenting. We have a few possible scenarios:

1. In a few years, metro will be accepted by more people, the desktop dies (by MS force), and these changes will matter. This would unfortunately mean the end of Windows PCs as we know them today. As metro allows not much productive work but (kids') entertainment and consuming mostly, companies, gamers etc. will switch to other operating systems. The already-close-to-dying Microsoft may not be able to survive this and goes bankrupt. Then no more metro, no more desktop, no more support for even Windows 7 and earlier.

2. People continue using the desktop only. If MS removes it, people switch to other operating systems. Either way, metro dies. it only depends on MS if the company is taken with it. The new changes don't matter a bit in this scenario.

3. Productive software (programming, word processing, photo/video editing etc.) and 18+ rated games start appearing in metro, implemented in a way that it's competitive to the desktop counterparts. This way we may see a switch accepted by everyone just like the switch from MS DOS to Windows 95 was. (8 is windows 1.0 - we need a lot of changes to even reach 2.0, not to mention 3.11, the predecessor or 95.)

I think #3 is the only possible way for the "windows 8 experience" to survive and the less likely scenario at the same time. Why? Because metro is just not designed for advanced programs (only apps, lol). However, Windows 8.1 may be a patch to Windows 1.0 (not even close to 2.0) and a step in the right direction. I'm still excited about seeing the metro version of MS Office and Visual Studio. It's funny even MS cannot make advanced application using their own stuff.

8. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    and what that 'll be..?? accept the fact MS is serving you the same dish in a more polished plate..

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry my dear friend but you get it wrong! The only thing is that I try to be objective instead of of to be subjective! That seems to be hardly to understand by some of you guy's, or, you like to to oppose everything what is coming from MS. If so, delete everything from them and go to Apple, if you could afford that or use Linux which is legally free for most distro's!

10. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    why should I go to apple or Linux, becoz you say so..??
    i'm using windows from the last 18 yrs and I can praise or criticize for any product they offer becoz i'm one of the customer too..

11. eydee

eydee Guest

Well, I used Vista when it was only beta. Bought it when it was released and loved it. Same with 7. Also tried every beta and preview of 8, even used RTM for 3 months to give myself a chance to get to like it. It just doesn't cut it though. Useful features removed, useless features added, things to do made to take more mouse clicks etc. 8.1 doesn't change this as it only "improves" (in a Dr. Evil way...) the metro part no one ever uses.

12. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Have you tried 8.1 for very long, eydee? I'm not trying to argue, I was just wondering. Now you can set 8.1 to boot to Desktop by default if you like (without third party code). You can have it replace Command Prompt with PowerShell/PowerShell Admin in the right-click Start Button menu. The Start Button menu now provides the ability to shut down/restart, etc like the old Start Button. A lot of improvements in the OOBE stuff: It makes it much easier to confirm that your newly sync'd PC via your Microsoft Account is really yours, and I think it syncs a few more useful settings although there's always some that for some reason they don't sync.

They still don't have it ask you your timezone, which is so perplexing to me. It's no big deal to change it afterward, I just don't figure why they don't ask you during OOBE. Windows Defender can be easily turned off overall, not just the on-access scan. I didn't notice - did they add a Defender notification icon yet?

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Nobody incl. I would take the right to criticize from you or any other person even if that person isn't a customer of MS! But accusing is a different term and that's what you'd done in your answer:

14. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    it's the truth.. isn't it..?? :cool:

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's normal that Beta Releases are still containing (a lot of) bugs, something which seem to be forgotten by many users of those Beta Apps/OS's! Also that many features which were added or changed new to the Apps/OS's are not documented, therefore unknown and therefore maybe missed.

A Beta Version is for testing purpose only and mainly should be used by IT Professionals only who know what they're doing and how to.....! It's a very bad move to use an Beta Release in an productive environment, private or commercial! Developers are relying on the information getting by the Beta Testers which will differs from what they get from their own staff! The Beta Testers, Non-Employees of the developer, didn't having the information about that product as the employees of the developer and would test that product in an different way. Also, the testers at the developers company are bound to internal regulations which are the non employed Beta testers not.

Be assure that MS has a very close eye on Social Media Sites like MDL for to get crucial information about the products they having under development and also later on, after final release. So for this Windows 8.1 product! Also be assure that MS has more that just one Beta Version of the same product on testing, they would just have different features for to cross test what will be the final at the end of the day!

That said, anything could still change BEFORE the Final Release! That's something we should not forget.:holiday:

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    NO, it isn't!:rolleyes:

17. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    @ Freeman and Pisthai. Keep on topic and be civil to one another please......

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    None of my answers were not "civil" me think! I try all time to be as much polite and civil as well as objective to all sites. If someone think I didn't please let m,e know by PM and that include Moderators and Administrators of this forum.

Thanks.

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You both have been informed by alex. The way he did is up to him and he decided to reply here directly.
    And one more thing. A moderator's POV is a moderator's POV and decision; agreed with it or not.

A post about a own opinion is actually irrelevant. One can have a different opinion, it won't change anything.
    Just take a moderator's advice. He's replied and moderated not for fun here.

Thanks.

20. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Everyone needs a big chill pill, seriously. So much anger and hostility has taken over this thread by storm :dicht:

Thank You Yen for stepping in.