Power Supply for external HDD

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ThomasMann, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes. Thomas.
    But as mentioned if the HDD is NTFS, the proprietary format of windows, Android cannot read it.
    The native kernel of Android hasn't NTFS module to support reading / writing.
    Most devices can handle extFAT, though even though it's also a proprietary format.

With native formats such as ext4 it should work also.
    FAT32 will be outdated due to its limitations. (4GB filesize 32 GB max. storage to address).

There is an app that can mount NTFS partitions, but its reputation is controversial, it's from Paragon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Once more, thank you both.

I indeed completely forgot that my Western Digital Disks are of course NFTS….
    I have not thought about any of this, because I used to travel with my old HP notebook and there was never a problem. But… the old thing a few weeks ago died “in my arms”.
    So I better forget the whole thing.

The simplest thing is probably to just buy another cheap notebook at notebooksbilliger, when in Germany. Once I am back home I can replace the Win10 with my Win7 and replace the HDD with my SSD. I only use one of those for a few months, every three or four years.
    I actually believed the advertisement, that a tablet can replace a notebook, because I forgot all about reality! Nothing is compatible, unless you are very careful.
    I will see, maybe I go totally crazy and live for four weeks only with a tablet.

4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #24 ThomasMann, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    (OP)
    Rogere....

A wireless SSD costs the same as a refurbished HP notebook with an i5....

And I havenow tried using a USB hub, with external power supply, 5V from the tablet charger, and plugged buth the tablet and the storage HDD in... no success.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #25 Joe C, May 6, 2018
  6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: Bookmarked it for future purchase. :)

It also has a built in rechargeable battery. (5000 ma/H) If you put an SSD in there, you should get really great battery life.

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #27 ThomasMann, May 6, 2018
    (OP)
    Thank you, this very interesting to know, but not really helping. As far as I understand this would help me, other than it will not work with the Win10 on the tablet.
    As I wrote it makes a lot more sense to get simple refurbished notebook and leave the tablet at home. Buying a gimmick for $60s just to watch a few movies on a holiday on a tablet would be a bit absurd. It was basically my fault not realizing that in the year 2018 the difference between Fat32 and NFTS could actually be of importance.
    There are times when I travel to the university in the city and there once again have to accept that a tablet is not really an adequate substitute for a notebook. So spending money on a spare notebook seems a better investment than buying this.
    Still... Thanks, it is interesting to know that something like this exists, but I also noticed that there is not a single review yet. And it comes from Canada and my country is hot on the delivery list... Simply plugging an SSD with a USB cable into notebook makes more sense for my purposes. That will always work.....

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I have to agree that tablets are not made for adding external devices like you would for a netbook or a laptop. Tablets are very limited in that aspect

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #29 Yen, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    No success means no access due to incompatible NTFS or no OTG host mode at all?

There is usually one port that has to be 'host', depends on layout of the hub. Some have a male plug there or a red jack. The tablet must be connected there and it pops up with a info that it is in OTG host mode until you unplug it again.

(I don't have practical experience with OTG and hub, though. Only 'classic' connection to USB host controller) I have practically realized such OTG connections as suggested. OTG cable (Y)

Not limited only, also special (OTG). As mentioned Android tablets don't have the classic host controller. Therefore they cannot be host for many devices at once.

It's actually no problem to connect one device that has got enough power on its own.

One has to think what one wants and then to check how is it realizable. And then there are personal favorites.
    When I connect I mostly connect a USB memory stick to my Android devices. This works well. But I have to think to use a FS that is compatible.
    Or I connect an external DAC/amp for USB audio to drive my headphones.

An external HDD is actually no problem when it comes with own power supply and compatible FS.
    Different FS can be a PITA.
    My tablet can access extFAT, but my TV cannot. My TV can NTFS, but my tablet cannot.

What's funny is that all the issues come from the fact that most are tied to M$'es NTFS.
    Android and Linux and TV's OS can ext4. Windows out of the box cannot. We only 'need' NTFS because of windows.

To overcome FS which are not compatible to each others actually a network access is suitable. (FTP or the like NFS or SMB)
    Another feature that might be interesting is WIFI-direct between 2 devices.

Another solution would be to install enough SD memory to the tablet or to use a SSD.

I myself would not use such a WIFI HDD. I'd go for a reasonable equipped NAS (or mediaserver) which can stream.

Such a NAS I can configure as own safe cloud to be accessible from anywhere. Streaming or file transfer or whatever.

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Thanks to everybody once again.
    I am actually not really surprised, because this absurd non-compatibility has always been a trademark of those tech companies...
    I am much more surprised that I actually was surprised, when I found out it is no different with tablets.
    I will just use it for streaming... and as it is double boot: is there any reliable experience which will work better Win10 or Android?

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #31 Yen, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    It is of no interest that others are using ones own proprietary formats and if...then only when paying licence fees.
    Well finally it depends on the application one likes personally. And it depends on CPU architecture.
    Out of personal reasons I only use windows when I have to. I run Linux as mediaserver and on desktop.
    The mediaserver streams current satellite broadcasts very good to Android tablets for instance also VLC player on Linux does its job very good.

I do not like windows mediaplayer. I'd use VLC there, too.
    You have to think if you really stream by URL or if you just play network shares / media files.....
    The stock video players of Android are quite OK.

The best audio player is USB audio player pro (paid app), although the stock player is good as well.

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you

I basically want to check out the Win 10 to at least get aquainted with it, I might run into it somewhere else and I never worked with one.
    I always use vlc, even on my small ASUS, but I definatly prefer: Music Folder Player Full v1.6.4 Apk.apk
    To my knowledge it is the only that lets you simply transfer your own playlist from the computer to the sd in the tablet and then plays it as recorded.
    ALL the other players decide for you you what to play. Usually in alphabetically order... stupidity really can catch you unprepared sometimes

"And it depends on CPU architecture."
    It should not, as it is identical...

I will compare both, and once I find that Win10 has absolutely no advantage, I will simply turnover the whole 64GB to Android