problem in VPN Cisco IPsec in Macbook Air 10.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kiet, Mar 26, 2013.

1. kiet

kiet MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2010
    hi guys,
    I'm having problem on connecting my Macbook Air in VPN Cisco IPsec. After i successfully connected on server and group authentication, User Authentication will appear and after giving user and password it drops., it doesnt mention if its failed or what...
    And a same thing problem on iphone 5 vpn..

is there any other solution on using VPN?

please help me to solve this issue or else my boss will kill me... :(

thanks,
    kiet

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #2 Yen, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    Has it ever worked before? Maybe a firewall issue? Do you connect through (another) wireless LAN or a mobile carrier (over 3G / 4G)?

Are you sure you have the right actual data to access the VPN??? You need a proper configuration of VPN server and client, right network, host (server)name, shared secret, group name, account name.........encryption? (PSK / RSA) authentication method? (L2TP/IPSec, IPSec Xauth and so on)...alternatively there might be an app at the store.

Ask your boss for a proper configuraton........maybe something has changed at the server config.

(I am using Android. VPNC widget and connect via IPsec to my home router, it took me hours to get it to work). Without to know the VPN server (host) config, you cannot setup the client...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    What device you are connecting to?

Using the ONLY IPSec client on iPad (Cisco) does not necessary mean Cisco must be on the other end as well...

sebus

4. kiet

kiet MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2010
    i input all the details... server ip and group authentication then the user authentication appear... i typed the right user authentication but it doesnt work... if i type the wrong user and password definitely it will appear log in failed... but it never appear... it can be a firewall?? but i tried other computer in my home network but then it work....
    please help me to troubleshoot this things.

kiet

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    @sebus. You are right. IPsec had been firstly used by Cisco to connect to a VPN. I use IPSec with a PSK (pre shared key, shared secret) to connect to a linux based router on which runs a VPN server...

@kiet. You said 'I tried another computer..and it worked'.

That means you had been able to setup the VPN client there properly. What client is it and on what OS is it running? 'Another computer' is not a useful info.

That means you need to setup the VPN client on IOS / MAC OS properly.
    A firewall issue then can be only at the firewall of the local machine you want to run the VPN client ( IPhone and macbook).
    Just disable the FW if enabled...... to test......(if present at all...I don't know) ;)

Do you authenticate with a shared secret (PSK = pre shared key) or a certificate????

PSK:

You need a 'description' just a random name of the connection.

- VPN server (host name, can be DDNS name, fully qualified domain name) or its static IP address
    -account username
    -password of it

AND

-group name (can be a email address)
    -shared secet!!! (pre shared key) usually different to the password of the VPN account!!!

Or you need to import a certificate. This is used without a PSK for instance for RSA encryption.....

You need 5 things:
    host IP or name
    Account username and password
    group name and shared secret!

And you need to enter them at the proper place...(config)...

Can you reach (ping) the host from your phone / macbook?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. kiet

kiet MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2010
    it works in the older Mac OS version... but in latest Mac OS 10.8 doesnt work....

just one question, VPN will work on the same network?

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No, you need different local IP networks.
    Either a client connects via VPN (through the internet) to another private network or...
    Two private networks are connected via VPN with each other.

The private network A (or client) that connects through VPN with private network B has to be different. Would they use the same network addresses a unique identification is not possible when connected via VPN.
    After establishing a VPN tunnel you can reach the PCs of the other network with their given local IPs....

8. kiet

kiet MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2010
    ok let me tell u in details..

I have Mac OS 10.8.3, the VPN type we are using is Cisco IPsec...and I give the Service Name...

and I correctly configured the list below.

Server Address : which is our host
    User Authentication :
    Group Authentication :
    (I type them correctly)

but then, when I click "connect" button, it ask again the User Authentication... (so it means I did the right configuration on the top), but after I give User Authentication, suddenly it close...
    I turned OFF the firewall but still there's something that stop me to connect.

in PC running windows 7 Professional I can connect to the host easily...

I am new on this company and this task was given to me...

Yen, please help me...

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    So your task is to establish a VPN connection to the company you are working? Can you configure the host on which the VPN server is running? I mean can you change the password / shared secret?
    You cannot use VPN when being in the same network. But you can by using your IPhone and a mobile phone carrier over 3G. No local (w)LAN....

I encountered issues with some special characters. So if the passwords or account or group name has special characters such as @ or } or ~ it might cause problems.
    For tests I used easy names and passwords such as 123456abcdef654321 to test. And after it worked I used strong passwords....

Do you use a domain name to reach the host or its IP? yourhost.dyndns.org for instance.....I had problems with the name resolution and DNS..try the static (or current) IP address to connect to the host.

I do not use Apple products. I am not familiar with IOS / MAC OS....I can only give general advice.

It worked at older versions of MAC OS already, so Apple did a mistake and changed something?.....

But I try to help you ...:)

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007