Quote of the day

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by pedagogy, Oct 25, 2010.

1. pedagogy

pedagogy Chit Chatter

Jul 31, 2009
    #61 pedagogy, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
    (OP)
    Lots of good thoughts, not enough time to answer now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pedagogy

pedagogy Chit Chatter

Jul 31, 2009
    A compromise is an agreement whereby both parties get what neither of them wanted. ~Author Unknown

An expert is a man who tells you a simple thing in a confused way in such a fashion as to make you think the confusion is your own fault. ~William Castle

Maybe this world is another planet's hell. ~Aldous Huxley

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I have thought about how to modify a special bios.
    And now I'm returning to this thread. Fascinating!

What means to die?
    I think all things are creations of the (own) mind. There is nothing that could be 'outside' of the mind. Also 'to die' is a creation of the (own) mind. Your mind assigns an individual (your own) meaning to it.

To die is a consequence of to be born. Basically it's just alternation. When you notice about a leaf falling at autumn, do you think about that it has died?

When you try that experiment at post #29 can there be someone to die at all?
    It's difficult to me, intellectually I got that there is no one that can die. It's the body that alternates. Anyway this awareness has not become manifest 'in me' yet.

There are thoughts of doubt. These thoughts are responsible for my fear.
    One of that major thought (idea) is that I think that I am my body (Avatar), and not 'I AM'
    I have to get my mind into silence (absence of thoughts), then the true Self raises up. There are things in life that support you to achieve that. To listen to music is very valuable to me.....all these things that are supporting you are called the 'Right Effort'. Here it's devotion (to music)

"Isn't it fascinating what your mind is creating right now? Look out of your window and watch the sky. How wonderful and beautiful is the creation of your mind! The mind creates the sky and the fascination about at once. So you are able to create fascination, your mind is able to create anything, means anything is created by the mind."

"Anything that I have written is a quote of the mind."
    -Yen..lol....:) My great respect to the mind :)

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    "Neo, sooner or later you're going to realize, just as I did, that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Morpheus (Matrix.)

And:

Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
    Neo: What truth?
    Spoon boy: There is no spoon.

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  7. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  8. pedagogy

pedagogy Chit Chatter

Jul 31, 2009
    "There is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so
    intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen." ~ Sean O'Faolain

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."
    ~ Aldous Huxley

"Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I have to agree with....those are real good ones...they are so true, especially the last both.....

"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
    Carl Jung

"You're only as young as the last time you changed your mind."
    Timothy Leary

10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  11. pedagogy

pedagogy Chit Chatter

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks. They are to some extent a response to one of your post.

Do you think your outlook would be different if you were blind, or deaf?
    Discuss

Helen Keller, who was blind and deaf, was heard to say, “I have found life so beautiful.”

Quotes;
    "Cherish your visions and your dreams as they are the children of your soul; the blue prints of your ultimate achievements." -- Napoleon Hill

“I know not how I may seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with” Plato

"The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend."Henri Bergson

12. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

The outlook is different. But different compared to what?

I guess there is a difference if you were born deaf and blind, or if you become deaf and blind in your life.
    When you are born deaf and blind you basically have nothing lost, it’s missing all the time. Actually you don’t know what to see and to hear mean.
    Deaf and blind together, that’s hard. I assume then you cannot speak as well. (You’ll lose the ability to speak if you are deaf, because you have to hear what’s spoken).

Also I think other intact senses will become stronger, profound. (I can confirm that, my left eye is weaker, but my senses of smell and hearing are superior.)

It’s a question about how to deal with loss, with limitation. On the other hand senses are responsible to let the mind move outwards, they are responsible for distraction. Hence in meditation you are focusing on your breath and close your eyes.

You need the senses to get along, you need them to simply walk down the street. When being deaf and blind, you are dependent on another person to help you to manage your life.

What means to see (something)? What, for instance, is a color? Is my sense of green your sense of green? It’s a learned impression. There is one unique reality for each of us, also for Helen Keller.
    You have to deal with your given (relative) reality. All your senses are inconsistent. They can fool you.
    To totally lose a sense organ, especially to become blind is very hard, you have to be very strong to deal with that. I’m not sure what I would do then….how I would deal with the loss…

Finally all that is about how and who you are. In what way have you noticed about your Self.

An object must have a perceiving subject. If the subject is also perceived it automatically becomes an object and must have a deeper perceiving subject. You cannot be any object perceived, you must be the perceiver/subject. You ARE, blind or not, deaf or not, the perceiver.
    When you are dreaming, you need ‘dream-eyes’ to see there. Your mind creates your dream avatar with dream eyes.

Helen Keller is a strong person. She is right, life is beautiful, she has the ability to see that, therefore you need no physical eyes, therefore you need to know about the Self. The Self simply is beautiful. To stay in the ‘Self’ is the most beautiful thing.

Each individual has / needs its own approach. For a deafly born person, devotion to music is denied unless you have got another way to perceive sound. But for somebody that can hear, to listen to is possible. Even when became (almost totally) deaf later in life to make music is possible (Evelyn Glennie).

However the effect of the music is not guaranteed. You have to ‘exercise’ your senses……
    If you listen to music and you have got a song that makes you say….wow..this is so beautiful, so great, so perfect…..then you have found an approach to the Self. Beautiful, great, perfect..actually it’s not the music itself, it is the way it acts, it brings you to your Self.
    You want to share your excitement about, you say: Listen to that song…….and you ask, how is it?
    If it acts the same way, then it’s beautiful, great, perfect as well. Otherwise it’s just music.
    Devotion of the musicians when playing, an approach made for you, your devotion to the music and finally the realization, that it is ‘straight from god’……music as initiator…to one’s Self….the Self is independent regarding existence…so it doesn’t matter if you are blind or not, deaf or not. You just need another approach.

“~ The question is not what you look at, but what you see. ~“

Henry David Thoreau

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Sometimes what is always been is seldom seen

15. Corran

Corran MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2010
    ~ Corran

Although I am the founder of this quote, I don’t believe it anymore. The human condition can pollute even my mind... haha

16. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Yea it is a purely physical point of view for sure...lol

17. pedagogy

pedagogy Chit Chatter

Jul 31, 2009
    No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow. ~Lin Yutang

A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you've been taking. ~Earl Wilson

If we would only give, just once, the same amount of reflection to what we want to get out of life that we give to the question of what to do with a two weeks' vacation, we would be startled at our false standards and the aimless procession of our busy days. ~Dorothy Canfield Fisher

18. pedagogy

pedagogy Chit Chatter

Jul 31, 2009
    My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand. ~Thich Nhat Hanh

There is a destiny that makes us brothers: none goes his way alone, All that we send into the lives of others comes back into our own. ~Edwin Markham

Give thanks for what you are now, and keep fighting for what you want to be tomorrow. ~Fernanda Miramontes-Landeros

Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong. ~Dandemis

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Lol.

So why you don't stop to pollute your mind? I mean what is the difference between your mind and 'the human condition'? :D

"If there is love, there is hope that one may have real families, real brotherhood, real equanimity, real peace. If the love within your mind is lost and you see other beings as enemies, then no matter how much knowledge or education or material comfort you have, only suffering and confusion will ensue."

~Tenzin Gyatso actual Dalai Lama.