recover a samsung R519

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by xixil, Mar 22, 2011.

1. xixil

xixil MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2008
    #1 xixil, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Hi everybody,

I need your help.

I flashed a working Samsung R519 FA02 notebook, at the restart of the pc and the display was off.
    so I tried to recovery with crisis with all keys combinations, but it does not work; then I opened the pc and I tried to bridge the crisis pins but still not works.

at the end I bought a nano programmer from ebay and I flashed the .wph file into the bios chip (I tried diffetent version of bios), now the notebook does not turn on and the power led continues to blink green and red starting from power cord attaching or battery inserting.

I suppose I need a different romfiles, not the original wph but a backup of a working R519. Anybody can send me his backup?

or anybody has suggestion for solve my problem?

thank you.

best regards,

I solved my problem thanks to the nano programmer seller, the wph file must be re-sized to the flashrom size.

2. fleckz

fleckz MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    Hi xixil,

I have exactly the same problem for a Samsung R719 which is using the same BIOS like the R519.

I would like to flash the .wph file directly into the bios chip via programmer. The .wph file has just a size of 1.613.930 but I would need a size of 2.097.152. I have already tried to resize by using a HEX editor but the result was still the black screen.

Could you please explain me in more detail how you re-sized the wph-file to flashromsize? I would be glad also if you could post the file you have used.

I hope you or anybody else can help me.
    Thanks.

Best regards,
    fleckz

3. fleckz

fleckz MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    thanks for your answer.

Let me explain what I've already done.
    1. extracted the .wph file from .exe
    2. resized the .wph file to 1572864 bytes by cutting off the last bytes
    3. i need flashing the bios to chip with an external programmer therefore the bios size must have exactly the same size like the chip (in my case 2048 kb).
    4. so i used the first 512kb from failed bios dump (should be the boot block) at the beginning of the new created wph file to have the correct flash size

This doesn't worked for me I still get the black screen at bootup. I guess the boot block was also damaged.
    The best would be a complete fresh dump from a working machine.

Has anybody any other ideas or the mentioned dump?
    Thanks for your help.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    how i do it: i make backup.bin then compare to the bios.wph and find the beginning and ending of it. copy paste save as fixed.bin .. flash

5. fleckz

fleckz MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    I have tried it this way too. The result is the same I have posted in my last answer. So I still guess that the part what I dont change is broken :-(

Could someone please attach a complete dump of the flash?
    Thanks.

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #7 LatinMcG, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    good luck with the "full dump" request.

post your backup.bin and link to bios dload

if u never made backup.bin and blindly flashed.. then bye and good luck

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #9 LatinMcG, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    hotfile= crap service due to "You reached your hourly traffic limit." please wait till 2014 or something to download file

i dloaded backup.bin already .. now i need original dload, try mediafire.com

8. fleckz

fleckz MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    here is the original samsung link to bios file:

www_samsung_com/de/support/model/NP-R719-FA01DE-downloads?isManualDownload=true#

I'm not able to post the full link. Please replace the '_' with '.'

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  10. fleckz

fleckz MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    hi, at first thanks for your help.

I'm still at work so I couldn't compare the files but it seems your fixed.bin is exactly the same file what I've created. I've used the same offsets.

Now I'm pretty sure the problem is in data from 0 to 79FFF. That's why I asked for a full dump. It is not my intention to flash a full dump of someone else, I just would like to compare the first bytes excluding the .wph part.

I didn't compare the FA01 and FA02 because in my case it's not really important. I just compared the R519 and R719 bios files and they are exactly the same.
    I have also checked the RAM sticks and they are ok.

So what I really need is the first part of a full dump. I mean I could also try to set everything empty before the offset 00080000 except the first line. Is this a bad idea and could cause any further problems?

oh and by the way warsteiner is a really good choice :)

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i think 0 to 007FFFF is missing stuff
    we might need a full rom dump. .. with universal bios backup tool ?

just to get this right.. the laptop worked fine before bios update ? (to rule out other hardware failure)

12. fleckz

fleckz MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    yes the laptop worked fine before the bios update so I guess we can rule out any other hardware failure.

the backup.bin is a full rom dump created with a programer connected to the unsoldered chip (after bad flash)

Normaly the first 512 kb which is offset 0 to 007FFFF shouldn't be changed via bios update but I guess this is happened. :(

if the power button is pressed the laptop turns on and the green power led lights up but display stays dark and there are no beep sounds or something like that.

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #15 LatinMcG, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    ive seen prior bios where it shows some blank FFFF for a little in beginning .. but this one looks a little more missing than the usual.
    (not sure)

not sure where to get a full dump on it as i dont have one nor any of my tech friends.

1 thing i noticed in your backup.bin .. in phoenix tool it shows 2x 2.1 markers
    while the .wph and the fixed.bin shows 1 of 2.0 and 1 of 2.1
    so your flash did get flashed with your mod.
    its starting to point to either EC or video bios issue.