Recovery Phoenix bios help needed!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LimitsX, Aug 7, 2009.

1. LimitsX

LimitsX MDL Member

May 16, 2009
    the hp dv9700 series laptop, model dv9834ca
    while i was trying to flash it using winphlash64, it corrupted the bios. So now the laptop is dead. I used the same bios for my own laptop and it was successful! no they are not using different bios! its same! i checked it 50x already!

The problem is this. I tried many recovery methods!! but one thing that isnt work is this:

the reading part. I made floppy disk through Phoenix Recovery Crisis and all goes well, but when i plug it into usb port of the laptop. Then i hold win+B plug the power cord, and press the power button, it reads the cd-rom, or checks it, and floppy usb drive. after few seconds it dies. So it is NOT reading the floppy usb drive, nor starting the flash procedure!

What do i do?! like what could be the problem!?

2. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    #2 PrEzi, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #3 HotCarl, Aug 7, 2009
  4. LimitsX

LimitsX MDL Member

May 16, 2009
    #4 LimitsX, Aug 7, 2009
    (OP)
  5. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #5 HotCarl, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    If I were you, I would maybe google BIOS recovery methods for that HP model of laptop (ex: "Phoenix BIOS recovery & USB floppy"), or search HP's knowledge base on their web site to see if that yields any useful info. Maybe they have a tech help line where you can gain info on how to recover your BIOS for your laptop. It does not sound good though, and you may wind up having to take it to a repair shop that is equipped with the required tools to re-flash your damaged BIOS. I have never had this problem before since I always flash in DOS. I hope for your sake that someone here has more insight into your specific problem with this HP, but you also may want to look into repair options and see if there are any shops near by that can handle this...seeing as how it is a laptop, it just makes things that much more complicated, unfortunately. :( Hopefully a search will yield a "soft repair" solution that will work.

6. LimitsX

LimitsX MDL Member

May 16, 2009
    actually I found the source's problem!!! its the phlash16.exe!! i used the old version and it worked!! YAYAYA~!!!! YESH!! thank u everyone!! :)!! i will post the site's link here for anyone else that needs help!!

7. LimitsX

LimitsX MDL Member

May 16, 2009
    i will let u guys know how things worked out~!! right now its flashing the bios!

8. ghoffman

ghoffman MDL Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    yes - please outline exact steps and link to the phlash16 that worked. thank you from a fellow hp-bricker!

9. LimitsX

LimitsX MDL Member

May 16, 2009
    no problem! i will update this thread, right now we are just waiting to reboot it and see how the flash went :)!! i hope it flashed good!! properly!!

10. LimitsX

LimitsX MDL Member

May 16, 2009
    hrmph im not sure whats going on D:! Its flashing the bios that is for sure!! but apparently my laptop isn't turning on properly!! -_- great. now im stuck here. it doesnt self-reboot though, it reads the floppy and everyhting properly, but it wont return to its original functioning..

11. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Change the autoexec.bat file to this & execute the flash one more time :

phlash16 /x /c /mode=3 /bbl /force /MFG /R=5 BIOS.WPH

This will :
    ignore xms mem manager check, clear cmos, program bootblock, flash in mode 3 (required), force flashing even if bios version is the same, reboot automatically after flash, if flashing a block fails - retry 5 times, flash with BIOS.WPH image.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. LimitsX

LimitsX MDL Member

May 16, 2009
    thanks I will give that ago now!! Because I know it is reading the image and probably does flash or something, can't tell for sure. and it does make a beep sound while reading the usb floppy drive!! im gonna give that ago! Thanks!!

13. LimitsX

LimitsX MDL Member

May 16, 2009
    #14 LimitsX, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    (OP)
    do i keep the minidos.sys while using the autoexec.bat file?! Also it will automatically reboot or not neccessarily?!

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    This sys file seems to be essential....it's a part of DOS

15. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    /bbl flashes the bootblock is this a good idea or a bad one?

16. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    When doing a RECOVERY (remember that this is a thread about bad flash) it should be there since some part of bootblock could be damaged.
    Else (if you are using it to flash to SLIC 2.1) it shouldn't be there.

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Very bad idea! The BBL contains data to allow to read the biosfile bios.wph at recovery process. If it gets corrupted at flash process you cannot recover anymore.

18. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Yen, shouldn't the /R=5 switch fix this in case a block fails flashing ?

19. LimitsX

LimitsX MDL Member

May 16, 2009
    I tried, same problem presists! It reads the usb floppy drive disk, for a minute or two, and then i wait 5-10min. Nothing auto shut down. i manually do it, and turn it on, same problem. blank screen, and basic LED's lighting on, so yeah. Idk whats going on anymore! i've been able to get to the step of getting the usb floppy drive to read, and after that, no idea what happens.