Removal of Leaked and Packaged Updates Poll

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Brandrune, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Removed Leaked and Packaged Updates from MDL?

1. Yes

65.7%
  2. No

34.3%
  1. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    We need a volunteer to manage a thread with all the leaked updates, and information on them.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The one who wants to manage it should start the thread to have the right to edit the first post every time when it's needed like zort did with the all SLICs thread.
    secr9tos, thanks a lot for your offer. Being an experienced member I'm sure you know anything about what's needed to manage it.

Would you go for it? I know this would mean some work to do, I would appreciate it if you would go for it. Anyway I can understand if you say no, because it's some work to do every time when it will be needed.
    Edit: I suggest to manage it like Suicide Solution does it with the W7 OEM keys : One thread with the updates, one to discuss. The info will be collected at the discuss thread. The useful updates then copied and managed at the sticky updates thread to keep it clean. If needed you would get Moderation rights for the W7 forums.

If somebody else is interested in, you may also reply to here. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
  4. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Yep. Thats great! I can manage it along with another member...

5. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Brandrune, why not let sec9tros do it, so that way you and him can both edit it?

6. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Since I'm here on mdl I've learned a lot so why not give something back to it. Well I would like to take the job.:)

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Great! :) I'll be absent most of the next days, but will try to be on at least a short time.
    secr9tos, if you need rights to edit / manage let me know.
    Brandrune, please let secr9tos open the thread, so you both would be able to edit it. Have a nice start with your teamwork and talk to each other about ideas. Think about the suggestion of 2 threads to keep one clean and one to collect......no time to hurry....take and enjoy your Christmas holidays

If I can anything do for you both feel free to PM me.;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Ok then guys! I'll PM you...

9. _office_

_office_ MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2009
    no one say they this update's cointain virus but this update's are just not nececery for everyone, if MS find it nececery it should post it in right way 'WU service' so tell me why ppl need it ? we don't need every update that come out -- if u'r no life person go technet & download it ... :p

10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    This argument is pretty much over. The horse is dead, bloated and starting to stink. Can we close this thread and start the new one? Or just leave it open so the new thread doesn't get cluttered.

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #111 Yen, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    Brandrune and secr9tos will manage the unofficial updates.
    For those who think they are not needed (me included, because I never have installed one so far), it will be a good thing to know that you can find them at MDL just in case you want to try for one in the future.

Edit: the poll will run till end of the year.

12. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Excellent and democratic decision.

Congratulations!

13. joli85

joli85 MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    Courageous decision.
    Bravo to the staff.:)
    thank you:)

14. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Thank you

These "unofficial updates" are like many things in life. Just because I personally choose not to use them doesn't mean I would wish to preclude anyone else from the experience. Bravo!

15. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Yeah, keep the leaked updates within mdl until sp1 comes around.

16. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    then they will come around after sp1 also....

17. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #117 HotCarl, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    I think that is acceptable. I do not think the unofficial updates should just be removed. If people dont want to use them, then dont download them...rofl. To me, the argument to remove them is trivial. Why not let people post these updates if they want to. If it makes some people happy, then so be it...

They are all signed by MS, it is not like anyone is distributing viruses...and to think so demonstrates a lack of knowledge about the nature of digital signatures. And that is beside the point that if any actually were viruses, people would have posted comments saying so by now...

It is a good decision to regulate, as we do not want like 8 threads all dedicated to unofficial updates clogging up the forum. ...those are my thoughts on it anyway... ;)

18. Deathstryker

Deathstryker MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    Make that +2

19. jsday187

jsday187 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2008
    #119 jsday187, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    Touché! Well put.

Maybe posters should also be required to call them what they are too.

Hotfixes instead of updates.

People see the word "Updates" and they suddenly think that they are necessary, when in actual fact they are NOT necessary, but they CAN fix specific problems that SOME people may be having.

The only ones necessary for EVERYONE will be supplied through Windows Updates, as has already been established

20. ShareAll

ShareAll MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    I vote YES,,,