Remove whitelist check / add ID's to break hardware restrictions mod requests.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mod Requests. Post Requests Only' started by Yen, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It should be placed at:
    HEWLETT-PACKARD\BIOS\Current\0143B.bin
    It's case sensitive. Create the folders exactly that way on your USB stick, format it FAT32 before, not NTFS.....also you can place a copy of 0143B.bin (remember not 0143B.BIN) to the root as well...I don't know if the *.FD file or the dumped original rom is needed for recovery though. If it works with the *.FD only then it will be difficult since I don't know how to recreate that format at your modified rom...try recovery with unmodified files only first.
    Your FD file is special. It's either compressed or encrypted.
    Btw: Have you checked your PM?

Also interesting to know is if you can flash the dumped unmodified rom file with InsydeFlash.exe. But recovery is important when playing with it..

OK see you tomorrow...and be careful when playing with bios..;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pokerface

pokerface MDL Junior Member

Nov 13, 2009
    hello Yen,

I have tried your whitelist mod with slic 2.1.But when I start HPQflash from the modded file from TTAV134 I get the message missing or corrupted file.

Is it possible with a program to verify the checksum of a file?

Regards.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Basically yes. Andy's tool calculates a lot of different sums to remain the integrity of the mods. It doesn't support HPQ bioses though... But it's difficult to figure. A checksum is built at a special range and with a special algorithm to calculate.
    E.g. at bioses there are 8 bit checksums of unique modules, or CRC32 sum of a special range of the biosimage and and...winhex can calculate a lot of different hashes......but you need to know what range and what sum and what bytes...

Hmmm...what about your whitelist mod only? Does it flash with the patched HPQ flasher? If not we should have a look about ADDCC... I remember that some have patched the dos flasher as well....
    Or you would have to use your whitelist mod and additionally Daz loader to run W7...

See you tomorrow.. It's late now.;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pokerface

Nov 13, 2009
    Hello Yen,

No, it won`t flash.
    I get the same message as before.Can I use winrar for the 4 files (rom.bin,rom.sig,ver.sig and ver.txt)?
    Or do i need a other program?

If this don`t work, I flash back to the mod from TTAV134 and use my old Intel wifi card. I feel safer with this one.:worthy:

Thanks.

Regards.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Can you please send me the link to your original bios and the IDs of your card you have added / replaced....I would try to mod the whitelist with ADDCC, never did that before. :D
    Winrar? What do you mean?

6. pokerface

Nov 13, 2009
    Oke Yen,

I think that I made it.

It goes wrong when I repack rom.bin with the other files that I need to flash with HPQflash. So I was looking for a program that make .cab files.I found cabexplorer on the internet.With these program I unpack the original ROM.cab, replaced the original rom.bin with the one I made, and repacked the files with the same program.
    Then I used the modded HPQflash from TTAV134, launched it, he found the file and started to flash the bios.
    When it was ready, reboot it, windows started and for the moment al works.
    I shutdown the computer, replaced the harddisk with windows xp for the one with windows 7, and start it.Also no problem.I looked with slic dump tool for the slic table, also good.
    So I tried one more thing, I replaced the new wifi card for the old one, and that was also no problem.

So I think that this mod ad the moment good works, so i am very happy:worthy:

Thanks for your support.

Regards.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

I'm happy as well. :biggrin:
    I never thought it was a issue with packing the files. I asked myself what you mean when you asked about winrar. The author of ADDCC instructs to use Cabpack for compressing your files to .cab

I'm glad it worked for you and you finally got a success.
    I'm happy because the assumptions I have made are right. The patched flasher flashes exactly what I have posted, so I got it right.

Enjoy your mod. Hope to see you again at MDL, have a good time.:)
    At Buschtrommel's Insyde I guess we will have not that much luck..I guess the bios it digitally signed..

8. pokerface

Nov 13, 2009
    Hello Yen,

About Cabpack, I did it wrong.
    I didn`t know how to select the four files.I didn`t read the tutorial.;)
    Now I know that I had to make a map with the four files, and in cabpack only select that map.
    But I am still learning.:)

If you played with ADDCC, I have a question.
    I read the tutorial of the author.On page 7 to 10 he fix the checksum with another PCI\VEN ID.
    I was looking how he did that, but i don`t understand.
    How did he come on that string?
    On page 8 he replaced the string E6 00 86 80 BF 20 42 86 80 01 27 A3 for is ID.
    But when I look at page 9, his ID and the one he replaced are both there.
    How did he do that?
    And the fix of his checksum did he do with another PCI\VEN ID.
    He used the bytes 3C10C0FF12868020.How did he get this bytes?

I am just curious, i maybe need it for the next that a mod a whitelist.:rolleyes:

Regards.

9. Buschtrommel

Buschtrommel MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    U Unrar the ExeFile`? There must be a ROM or a FD file !

To get the ID`s von the new Card:

GOOGLE or

boot the laptop without a card, THEN plugin. you cant use the card, but u will see a new hardware and the id`s.

10. pobah

pobah MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Hello, I have plugged in the card with the laptop running now and got the ID, I'm updating my original post, thanx!

I have now followed the instruction to edit the bios using Andy's tool, but when i tried to rebuild the bios the file i had editet was too large by a few bytes, I don't really know how to fix that. :confused:

11. pokerface

Nov 13, 2009
    Hello pobah,

May I ask you, why do you want to change your wifi card?
    The Intel 5100 is a AGN card, and your Dell card is a BG card.

Regards

12. pobah

pobah MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Well, the main reason is to use it as a Hackintosh, I can install OS X now but i don't have any network at all, which makes it pretty much useless ;)
    The Dell-card is supposed to work in OS X though

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I will. This thread gets a little bit confused. Whitelist modding is still something new.

15. pobah

pobah MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly. the card is now up and running :biggrin: Thank you! :worthy:

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks for your report, glad it works.

Maybe we can implement that into andy's tool in the future. But therefore we need more tests.