[REPO] Windows 10 TELEMETRY REPOSITORY

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 4, 2015.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx!

Should one add these into hosts file, please? Or where? Or how to add them best?

Cheers!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. I tried with the firewall and no luck..

Router firewall did the job.
    And now Linux does it better ^^

3. BetADNA

BetADNA MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2015
    can i ask, did you use Windows OWN Firewall or a 3rd Party one?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. #1084 Deleted member 1057030, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2021
    del

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  6. vladnil

vladnil MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Ребята ну нельзя быть чуть чуть беременным!
    Если хотим отключить телеметрию это значит полное отключение телеметрии, а не частичное. Смысл отключения тогда теряется.
    Рубать Гугл и Майкрософт на корню, как зло человечества!

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Explain to my family how to change to something else from Skype, please...

8. vladnil

vladnil MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2019
    #1088 vladnil, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Уважаемый! Есть такое слово Привычка. Если я привык с 2003 года в Скайпе, то и я буду сидеть в нем, и никто не переубедит, одно слово Привычка!
    Как меня здравомыслящего переубедила обстановка.
    В 2003 году скайп был размер мегабайта 3 а сейчас весит 64 и с полной распаковкой 240 мегабайт.
    Вот что можно впихнуть в 240 мегабайт?
    Если не с версией 2003 года, то ничего не поменялось (чат - звонки)
    Альтернатива использовать в браузере skype-web через прокси.

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #1089 gorski, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Yeah, good luck explaining this to my 70 and 80 year old closest relatives... Teach the old dogs a new trick and get ready for Nobel prize... for something or other... I am sure they can think of something in Stockholm and around... ;)

10. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #1091 Yen, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    (OP)
  12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Indeed, I applied your 3 policies, as soon as I found them, and I did leave them lines blocked... Thanx! :)

Then, when I had dysfunctional Skype and Hotmail - I had to use my common sense in removing a few lines that seemed connected. Thankfully, I was right...

13. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    @Cirodi

You can use Yen's list via HOSTS, as you stated correctly just copy the lines into the file (make sure DNSCache isn't running -> services.msc -> DNSCache), or you use Unbound/DNSCrypt and use their blacklist. You also can use router based DNS blocking solutions like Pi-Hole/AdGuard home and give them the list, it's up to you what you use/prefer. However, AdGuard Home/Pi-Hole are most effective since nothing can bypass them if correctly configured. The problem with Windows HOSTS is that no one knows if nothing gets bypassed or not, because MS can change this with every KB/Feature Update and then you need to re-test if the hosts not gets "somehow" bypassed. Windows has a history that the HOSTS gets "ignored", which is "dangerous", since requests can slip trough it.

About the batch file, you need admin rights and can uncomment :: .

14. Cirodi

Cirodi MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2011
    @CHEF-KOCH
    First of all: thank you for helping me.
    It appears a "never ending story....." and maybe this is a nice challenge for you, expert guys. For ordinary people (no one can be expert in everything...), it is frustrating.
    Even if you have a legitimate PRO license, to get some "privacy", it appears that you are forced to cross the wall and go for ENTERPRISE, but, as known, ordinary people can't legitimate purchase a license for it. So you are forced to be "outlaw".
    And this is just to get some privacy.
    I noticed you in the thread "Private Winten - Open Source Windows 10 privacy tool with built in Firewall"
    As newbie, I have place some questions to the author, if you have time...
    Thanks again!

15. Cirodi

Cirodi MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2011
    @CHEF-KOCH
    Could you kindly give help on?
    1. I tried unsuccessfully to stop this service either through taskmanager either through services
    2. This service stop it is just to give me access to host file for editing?
    Thanks

16. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Have no idea what you're asking. You can't change hosts file? If so, you will need to open the host file as administrator so that you can immediately save it to the same location.
    If you do not open it as an administrator, you need to save it elsewhere and then copy the folder
    %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\

17. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Depending on how big your HOSTS file is you should disable DNSCache because otherwise svchost.exe will "consume" lots of CPU cycles (higher CPU usage).

18. Cirodi

Cirodi MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2011
    #1100 Cirodi, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    @CHEF-KOCH
    Understood. I killed it through Registry
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "4" /f
    Thanks!