Request thread to insert SLP1.0 into BIOS

Discussion in 'BIOS Mod Requests. Post Requests Only' started by kageon1, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I'm piecing bits together at the moment, so...is there any comprehensive tutorial worth reading it?

[The board search engine seems to be a bit tricky :rolleyes:]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Pajero

Pajero MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2007
    #22 Pajero, Oct 13, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
    Hi, buddies
    I've just returned home, changing the schedule of my trip.

To Yen,

Thanks for your detailed & supplementary explanations, added on mine.
    BTW, for memory dump, you can also use WinHex as well as HWDirect and debug.exe.
    I prefer WinHex, because of its easiness and convenience in operation.
    At WinHex menu, follow "Tools" ==> "Open RAM" ==> "Physical Memory",
    and you can get the memory dump list in full screen. Then press Alt+G for jumping
    to your target address, or press Ctrl+F for text searching. Pls try it.
    (But the only problem with WinHex for memory dump use is that, on some PCs,
    it fails to get the dump list somehow. In such case, HWDirect is your choice.)

To urie,

As for Dell SLP, Yen's comment is exactly correct !
    Please refer to my post #13, and be noted that the valid string for address 0x000FE840
    is "Dell Computer", NOT "Dell System".

I don't know "Zhaoliang's tool", but the following command of AMIMMWIN also gives you
    the immediate modding effect for this.

<<Command Prompt >> amimmwin.exe [BIOS file name] /SLP "Dell Computer"
    (This command inserts the string "Dell Computer" right after "$ODB$" in '1B' module.)

As I already said, Dell SLP has 5 patterns of string & address combination and you can choose
    any one of them, depending on the kind of BIOS which you want to mod. Regarding AMI BIOS,
    addresses 0x000FE840 and 0x000FE838 are available for the insertion of SLP strings for Dell.
    But as for Award BIOS, those addresses ain't available, and instead you've got to take the other
    pattern of string & address. (It requires a certain skill, but actually possible.)

To wsjam13,

I'll give you a brief instruction on extracting and modding of VMware BIOS.
    But pls wait for a while.

Pajero

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    To Yen and Pajero, thank you very much for the info also Yen didnt know i could just edit xp_slp.ini in Zhaoliang's tool wasn't sure about that.:)

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Additional info:

Modbin creates a file called original.bin after you have opened your bios file. It's located at the same folder. You can open and edit it with a hex editor to find a different (free) space if needed. Compare your hexdump of the valid range with it to decide where to insert OEM string. After you have saved the bios, the modifications will be included.

I also tried dmicgf, dmi.exe and dmiscope with no success.

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #25 urie, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No, I referred to my bios, which is a Award bios. I prefer a bios mod and a flash of the modified one.
    If you'll edit DMI entries with the tools you have to make sure, as you said, that they will persist. All mine didn't after reboot, so I did a modification of original.bin using modbin.

Your AMI mod:

Earlier I did all the mods manually and I know how Zhaoliang's tool is working. The tool inserts the OEM string for SLP1.0 activation at TWO places. Right after the $ODB$ string and at a relative offset to the AMIBIOS 0800 string to match the valid OEM address range. All at 1b module.

To do the automatic and easy way:
    Correct the string at Zhaolangs tool.
    Remod your bios using ORIGINAL bios. Both, SLP1.0 and SLP2.0 will work!!

Most of the modules are compressed, so the size is usually larger after extracting them. The 1b module is the main part of a AMI8 bios. This sizes of a AMI bios file are always 256, 512, 1024 or 2048 kbytes. The extracted module sizes are varying.

About the <<Command Prompt >> amimmwin.exe [BIOS file name] /SLP "OEM string" command:

Please note: Some AMI (especially Asus) bioses don't work after using amimmwin anymore!
    Zhaoliang's tool corrects it by re-inserting the ASUSTEK string which is removed by amimmwin.

Yen

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #27 urie, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
    Yen, i ended up using Zhaoliang's tool it wrote Dell Computer to 000FE840 and 000FF380 screen shot below now to try Dell OEM xp disk.:)

Update windows Xp activated :))

Attached Files:

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Concept is proven !!! :)

9. wsjam13

wsjam13 MDL Junior Member

May 18, 2007
    slp1 activation

thanks to Pajero and yen i will experiment with the info provided

:)

10. Pajero

Pajero MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2007
    #30 Pajero, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
    To wsjam13,

Sorry for being late, but below pls find a brief instruction for modding VMWare BIOS.

1. Extracting BIOS module from VMWare program

1) Find "vmware-vmx.exe" at "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\bin",
    and copy it to a temp folder.
    2) Start ResourceHacker and open the copied "vmware-vmx.exe"
    3) Place mouse cursor on "BINRES" and right click on it. Then select "Save [BINRES] resources",
    and save the resources by any given name
    4) In your temp folder, you will find many "Data_*.bin" files and, among them, locate
    the file of 512 KB in size (most likely Data_4.bin or Data_5.bin).
    5) That is the BIOS module file of VMWare, and rename it as "VM-BIOS.rom" or whatever you like,
    but the extension must be ".rom"​

2. Modding VM-BIOS

First of all, start Phoenix BIOS Editor, and open "VM-BIOS.rom", then take your course in the followings:

A. Elementary course (To place SLP String in DMI area)
    1) Follow the menu "Windows" ==> "DMI Editor" (Or simply press CTRL+D)
    2) In the "DMI String" window, you will find the "Description" and "String" info
    3) Double click on a "String" column, and change a string to SLP String as below:
    [Example] 'IBM Corporation' (Place single quotation mark (') at head and tail.)
    * You can select any Description item, except for "UUID", and change a default string
    to your favorite SLP string, but the string must correspond to OEMBIOS file set !
    * Do not input the strings for DELL, Sony, ASUS, LG, Samsung and etc., whose strings must
    be placed in other areas (of BIOS main module). ​
    4) Follow the menu "File" ==> "Build BIOS", and, if no problems, the message "Build is OK" will show up,
    and save the modded BIOS as "VM-BIOS_Mod.rom" or whatever you like.​

B. Advanced course (To place SLP String in BIOS main module)
    1) With PBE being opend, go to the folder: C:\Program Files\Phoenix Technologies Ltd\BIOS Editor\TEMP,
    and find "BIOSCOD2.ROM"
    2) This file is the BIOS main module, and you can mod it by hex-editor.
    But, before working on modding, you need to fully grasp the memory map and understand
    where to place SLP string in a safe way. Need to know the relationship between physical
    memory addresses and offset addresses of this file.
    3) After modding, save the BIOS. (Be sure to change something in DMI string, otherwise "Build BIOS"
    remains grey-out.) ​

3. Starting VMWare by using modded BIOS

1) Copy your modded BIOS file to the folder where VMWare's definition file (*.vmx) is located.
    2) Open the definition file (*.vmx) by Notepad, and insert a line as follows, and then save it.
    bios440.filename="VM-BIOS_Mod.rom"  ("VM-BIOS_Mod.rom" is YOUR modded BIOS file name.)​
    3) Start VMWare and enjoy it!​

Pajero

11. wsjam13

May 18, 2007
    To Pajero

thanks for info-and i had already managed to extract bios-but after your info-
    i input a manufacturer string ok in dmi area-and xp activated ok.

Pajer
    B. Advanced course (To place SLP String in BIOS main module)

is there a chance of any more 'simple' tuition on this?, as i would like to try this on a vm ware bios first before trying on a live award bios-i am sure many other forum users would be interested in this also.

thanks to you and everbody else for the information so far.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #32 Yen, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
    I'm trying to explain the 'advanced course':

Dump memory of a valid big range (such as ASUS, HP or Fujitzu).

Some parts of the bios code are copied (at boot) into the matching area for execution. mapped=copied.

Open bios with PBE. Now look at dump for character strings such as 'copyright' or 'software' or the manufacturer name or bios name or other common English word(s).

Try to find them by searching at all modules (BIOSCOD1.ROM, BIOSCOD2.ROM........) not BIOSCOD2.ROM only. Additionally you can search for byte sequences found at dump.

Have a look to see what range (area) of bios code is copied into the valid physical address range. Compare the code.

This is the relationship of bios code (offset address) and physical memory address.
    The clue is to insert the OEM string at the bios module so that it'll be mapped together into ram (into the valid range). Therefore you have to find free (zero bytes) areas which are copied.
    Alternatively you may edit the found string. It is a safe way if the character string is something like a English word.

Make sure that you DON'T insert new bytes by editing the module. THE SIZE OF THAT MODULE MUST BE REMAINED!!!

The genaral way is at all kind of bios the same, but not the tools and the modules where to find the right place for. Ask yourself: From where comes the code that is found at the dump of the valid address range and then find it by searching it at all modules. Once found insert the OEM string by replacing some bytes which don't matter if edited or not. Save the edited module and rebuild bios as explained by Pajero.

With a virtual bios you cannot damage anything.

Yen

13. wsjam13

May 18, 2007
    thanks yen i will have a go at the slp 1bios modding and see how i get on-did not mean to be ungratefull for everybodies input

14. figgy

figgy MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2007
    Yen would it be possible to add asus slp 1 onto the ga965p-ds4 asus slp2 bios to have both xp and vista activation or will it ruin the bios

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #35 Yen, Oct 20, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007

It is not possible at the moment. You have to use modbin. Modbin is a old tool. I tried it with bios F10, revision 3.3. I managed a mod, but modbin changes the structure of the bios since the bios is very new and has got sensible modules.

Edit: I'm trying to analyze and to find a way using cbrom.......Does anybody know a way to edit the system bios using cbrom OR another good tool or maybe a new modbin????

There is a problem using modbin. After I've edited the bios with modbin the offsets of the modules has been changed!!! As I (we) know is this a problem at some award bioses. Some sensible modules, like ppminit and ME_MRC.bin "don't" like that and cause a black screen. The bios cannot be opened with latest cbrom after is was edited with modbin. Older Award bios are working (SLP1.0 and SLP2.0 together), they don't have got the "newer kind" of modules.

I've figured out that it has to be the main bios module. We need to edit it properly (Modbin doesn't work properly with newer Award bioses). Alternatively you can try to use another OEM and to edit DMI entries.

EDIT: There is a successful way later on described at this thread without the need to use modbin.

Yen

16. figgy

figgy MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2007
    #36 figgy, Oct 20, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
    thanks for the reply Yen....iam not really worried if the slp1.0 oem is not asus ,if it would be easy to add a different oem i would be interested

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Lower ranges as valid range have 'Lenovo' 'AcerSystem' or 'HP PAVILION'.

Try to edit DMI using dmi.exe, dmicfg or Dmiscope. DMIScope is comfortable.

You have to edit it and to make sure that they will persist and if they could be written. You also can check the memory dump of the valid addresses. You must find the OEM string there after you've modified the entries.

E.g. Boot into pure DOS, run dmi /sm "HP PAVILION"

I cannot do this for you cause you have to write the DMI entries by yourself. Just play around.

Yen

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #38 Yen, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
    I found a tool!!!:)
    AWDBEDIT (Award bios editor). This tool is a older one as well. It extracts and REPLACES modules of Award bios.

Now you can extract the system bios, edit OEM string.

This should work! At (almost) all Award bioses. If somebody want to try this, please ask. The exact approach is described later on this thread!

@figgy

What bios exactly do you mean?Rev 3.3? If you want I can try a mod for you. (Asus SLP1.0 and Asus SLP2.0) Do you have dual bios?

Best is to use AWDBEDIT like this:

USE IT ONLY TO EXTRACT (DECOMPRESS) THE SYSTEMBIOS, FOR NOTHING ELSE!!!

Yen

19. commumies

commumies MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2007
  20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #40 Yen, Oct 22, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007