RSA Signed Image

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by netwave, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #81 Yen, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    OK.
    Then I'll add the second IDs as well....
    Error 105 is not the problem I could simply patch the JNZ as well, but I use this module as indicator for wrong IDs.
    Error 105-->wrong IDs.

Mod2 will be with both IDs added.
    And if needed mod3 with JNZ patched and all IDs added at the other 2 modules.....

I know now I can modify those 3 modules and they got reintegrated without to brick. This is a good feeling...so we can try more ideas...;)

Update: I just came home. But I'd like to try my ideas at weekend. I'll post the new mods ASAP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  4. netwave

netwave MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Hi Yen,
    Hope you enjoyed the weekend!
    Right results..
    Mod2 gave error 105
    Mod3 went straight into windows with the card connected but the O.S did not detect the hardware.

5. macbeth008

macbeth008 MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2012
    Hi friends ! I welcome to All in this forum. I am new to this forum so I want to more about this forum.
    I want to know about bios method. Would you like to suggest me about bios method.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hi and welcome, feel free to read the stickies. Anyway it's not a nice way to post into this topic.;)

Yes I did, thanks. :)
    Then all the IDs don't take effect at all as they are. I wonder if there are subsys IDs but no one has posted some. Something is still missing.
    I need to think about...I will reply for sure.
    But slowly I am running out of ideas except I get another hint.

7. netwave

netwave MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2011
    The person who sold me that Ericsson card is only interested sales it appears & seems to have a limited understanding of computers anyway, so I'm still trying to figure out how to get those hardware ID's off the Ericsson card, being that the usual technique no longer works..

Maybe I need one of these?
    PCI1PEX1.Alarge.jpg
    It's a PCI to PCI express adapter model: PCI1PEX1
    As my 2 laptops could not be tricked, Im thinking one of my old banger PCs at work may not have the dreaded BIOS restrictions so I can obtain the ID's.

A darker thought...
    Imagine if another brand restriction was additionally written into the WWAN cards firmware to make reverse engineering vitually impossible for the average person..
    DELL may have an Ericsson come/DELL firmware build exclusive to DELL laptops.
    Just a thought ;)

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  9. hani93

hani93 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2011
    hello yen and netwave,
    i'm the commenter from youtube video (urmas98) who asked about that dv6-60xx bios reprogramming.

so, that i've tryed hard to unlock bios options few months ago with flashing various bioses from bios-mods, and no success , because of signature.

and now, couple days ago i found zuvieltextMDL video from youtube who had success with it, and there i started thinking about hard modification :biggrin:

so, can you describe, how did you done that ? :worthy:

i am really ready for some desoldering and reprogramming :D

Thanks in advance!
    hani93

10. zuvieltext

zuvieltext MDL Junior Member

Jun 11, 2011
    BTW: I just checked some new bios images and it looks like HP has been secretly
    reading this thread... as they got wise and plugged the holes. So, the software
    method which we discussed in an earlier post is now out of the question as well.

[ What's left to say: demand refund! Let HP fail, this stuff is not worth the trouble! ]

11. OhioLefty

OhioLefty MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2012
  12. zuvieltext

Jun 11, 2011
    There's no doubt about it, but just to be pedantic: It's RSA-SHA1. RSA itself is just an algorithm for public-key encryption. SHA1 is the cryptographic hash function which is used for the 160-bit signature.

I don't think you can "fool" the BIOS, but "not fool" the OS. Both rely on the vendor ID and product ID
    to identify "attached" hardware.
    Furthermore, the IDs are stored in a OTP-ROM [for the 6230] so you can't reprogramm the card either.
    The only solution that works so far [and probably will work in the future, even if HP fortifies its defenses]
    is to pry the bios-rom chip off your motherboard and stick it into an external flasher. :mad:

Note:
    What might be "good news" is the fact that HP has included two sets of keys, so "maybe" one has
    already accidently leaked and just nobody noticed it?! :g:
    Of course there might also be ways to attack HP's crypto-check implementation [that's always the weakest
    point, since the subject is complex and noone gets it right the first couple of times [See Sony's PS3 hack last year]].
    Unfortunately, this also requires some serious skill, talent and endurance. So good predictions about "when
    it will be broken" are just unfeasible at this point. So, it can happen maybe tomorrow, next week, or the
    entire lifetime [of the product of course]....
    :bye:

13. OhioLefty

OhioLefty MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2012
    Thanks for the reply and info. What I can't understand is why is HP going to such lengths to lock the BIOS? It would be one thing if they were doing it so I would have to buy a 5GHz Dual Band WLAN card from HP but HP doesn't even offer a 5GHz Dual Band WLAN for my dv7tqe-6c00 for me to purchase. I thought I was purchasing a decent "high performance" notebook only to find I can't connect to my home network at the same rate as two other "low performance" notebooks in my home. This is the first computer of any kind that I've owned that I haven't been able to upgrade. Had I known about this prior to my purchase, I probably would have looked elsewhere. I'm outside my return window so I have to make the best of it.

Now I'm on a mission to beat HP!

14. zuvieltext

Jun 11, 2011
    They offer the 6200 for Envy and Probook series.

What "might" work in your laptop would be this little gem:

802.11a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 3.0+HS combination adapter (Ralink 3592BC8) - SPS# 630813-001, HP P/N 629887-001
    But because the HP partsurfer shop in Germany is just unuseable, I have no idea if it actually is an alternative.
    However, what can be said straightway: Unlike the intel 62xx, the 3592BC8 IDs are actually "present" in the whitelist module [of the dv6-60xx series].

15. OhioLefty

OhioLefty MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2012
  16. zuvieltext

Jun 11, 2011
    #98 zuvieltext, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  17. OhioLefty

OhioLefty MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2012
    #99 OhioLefty, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Thanks for taking the time to check, I really appreciate it! I found a Ralink 3592BC8 802.11a/b/g/n on eBay for $23.00 shipped. I bought it and will let you know how it goes when I get it installed. I wonder why HP Support told me there was no 802.11 a/b/g/n 5GHz Dual Band card for my dv7tqe-6c00? If it works I'll be happy!

Thank you again! :worthy:

18. zuvieltext

Jun 11, 2011
    #100 zuvieltext, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012