RSA Signed Image

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by netwave, Jan 5, 2012.

1. OhioLefty

OhioLefty MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2012
  2. zuvieltext

zuvieltext MDL Junior Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Has the card arrived yet?

3. OhioLefty

OhioLefty MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2012
    It has shipped but has not arrived yet. ETA is sometime next week. I'll be sure to post the results ASAP.

Thanks again for your help...

4. OhioLefty

OhioLefty MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2012
    My Ralink 3592BC8 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi Adapter + Bluetooth card came in the mail today.

I am so HAPPY to report that it works perfect! Before I say anything else, I must give thanks to zuvieltext for his help in finding the info about this card in the HP F.12 BIOS.

zuvieltext originally dug up the information for me and directed me to the correct drivers. His willingness to help others deserves a special thanks.

5. oxxomxxo

oxxomxxo MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2012
    #107 oxxomxxo, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Where would i find this list in my bios?

6. zuvieltext

Jun 11, 2011
    What do you want to know? In which module? At which offset in the bios file, or ROM?

But just in case: this list was actually "hand translated" from the bios' binaries.
    That's why I wrote that it may contain "typos".

7. zuvieltext

Jun 11, 2011
  8. oxxomxxo

oxxomxxo MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2012
    #111 oxxomxxo, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Thanks alot for your help. one last favor, do you know how i would be able to add my card or remove the whitelist all together? thanks again.

9. zuvieltext

Jun 11, 2011
    AFAIK no. You would either need (one of the two RSA-keys) or (an external flasher + some
    knowledge about UEFI + a lot more knowlegde about x86 (and AMD64) ISA).

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I've just noticed about this thread again.

When reading all the new posts I highly recommend never to buy any HP notebook, or any other whitelist containing OEM brand.
    Inform yourself about which brand doesn't use whitelists, AFAIK Asus and MSI don't....some use unencrypted modules which can be modified. But HP is worst!

What's the purpose of that, HP? Why do you restrict your honest customers???

I hope HP reads this post as well, go to hell! Keep your stuff!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #114 Tito, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    He said about whitelist... not RSA signing. Also there is a new process of flashing newer ASUS EFIs using USB flashback ;)

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  13. denzel

denzel MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Hi, no myself, from bios mod. Problem was that when i try to save also only one setting in bios to next boot i have a semibrick and so on.. So is there atm a solution for this bios signed with hp keys? One of two hp key has been leaked or not?

Thanks ;)

14. zuvieltext

Jun 11, 2011

Well, if you don't have access to some crazy hardware flasher then you probably want to
    attack HP's RSA-SHA1 validation code for the DxE image. As far as I can tell, it's the weakest
    link and it is actually all you would need since whitelist and the bios setup utility is stored there
    [bios setup utility = the one that opens when you hit F10 at boot]!

However, with the lastest bios releases HP has "strengthened" that link (no idea if they are
    reading the boards or not, or maybe they got a lead from the people who bricked their
    laptops and then returned it).

About the keys: I'm not aware of any leaked private keys. Maybe some of the Russian
    or Chinese folks know more but it's difficult to contact these communities. I'm still looking
    though, because once we got one, we can complete hewprsa and integrate it into AndyP's
    tool. Another possiblity would be: adding support for the dv6's ec to flashrom. However
    without a laptop "donated" to science to some of the flashrom gurus I don't think it will
    happen in the near future.

15. denzel

denzel MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Really very good and exaustive explanation. Thanks.
    I hope in something of good for the future buddy, :(