Save activation file for use later in fresh installs

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by anansay, Aug 13, 2020.

1. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    that to:)

2. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp MDL Addicted

Jan 19, 2017
    True. I was so looking forward to generating new hwid on new hardware. The warm fuzzy feeling of doing that is real. But as usual, MS has to botch everything.

3. anansay

anansay MDL Member

Jul 13, 2020
    I have used the Search function to look for how to generate new hwid and was unable to find it.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Use google, search for massgravel

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #25 Yen, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020

The SMBIOS' purpose IS to provide numerous tables of data describing a computer's configuration. (Even the clock speeds).

Some of those tables have changed for sure. It already changes if the BIOS version changes on updates.
    I guess the activation system parses them even to get infos about hardware changes at all...

So it seems the SMBIOS tables only play their role here by providing the data. The activation system then 'decides' what is still 'the same' and what not.

The point you mean about the SMBIOS is (I assume) the SMBIOS GUID, but that should have changed by the mobo replacement.
    Code:
    wmic path win32_computersystemproduct get uuid
    That's why it is surprising (for me) that it still activated. The mobo is a new brand. The new CPU has got another CPUID. The SMBIOS GUID is different.

I agree with your conclusion, though. The storage SNs and the NIC are most important, ....but the SMBIOS GUID seemingly not and that's the surprise. (It only has to be non-zero)

....perhaps to keep the NIC alone would be sufficient?!? :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Was this not common knowledge?
    MOBO fingerprint's importance has been downgraded with the introduction of microsoft account backed activation.
    Microsoft are very happy with trading illusory loss of license renew revenue with certain user data expansion beyond the scope of a single machine.
    That and the fact that Intel has been pushing for it to help their own business model (new series - new socket haHa).
    And last, but not least, software spoofers become popular in online gaming cheating communities.

So indeed, a dedicated expansion card (like optane memory, network accelerator or a nvme ssd) weights more in the HWID check.
    Not in y2k anymore, microsoft does partial fingerprint matching, and will update and re-weight just sections of it if tastier hardware was added.

As for hwid-g3n-lol-censured, you bet microsoft tracks ip's and timestamps requests - do it just once, don't activate multiple editions in a single run as it's supposed to be an upgrade..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
  8. MDLLuke

MDLLuke MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2021
    Hi good day OP

May I know have you eventually found the solution to it?

9. MDLLuke

MDLLuke MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2021
    Hi there, good day!

I learnt that massgravel is open source on github, it is for us to activate a windows installation by using
    i) digital license (= also known to be HWID way)
    OR
    ii) KMS38 (non HWID way, can be done offline).

So my question is,
    Say I am already using a computer that came with OEM windows 10 home (activated with a digital license)
    and I wish to change the HWID,
    how do I do it?

I am not sure if Massgravel is the answer or not...
    (I am guessing massgravel is only for activating a un-activated windows, which is not my case here...)

10. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Upgrade from Win 10 home to pro, education. enterprise by changing the key, then activate with massgravel

11. Do you want to upgrade your OS from home to other SkU ie Pro or Ent.
    Yes its possible.

12. MDLLuke

MDLLuke MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2021
    Thanks @CaptainKirk1966 @mdl052020

To answer you both:
    1) I don't mind to change/upgrade my current Windows 10 Home, provided there is no cons in doing so (an upgrade would have no cons... I suppose?)

2) By doing so, do I "lose" the original OEM license? or it is just an upgrade, hence license remained, but with NEW HWID?

3) Is "upgrading" the windows version, the only method to change/generate new HWID?

Thanks so much!

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    you will not lose your original oem hwid that is key is embedded in your hardware if you go to install windows 10 again it will get your key from your hardware and install windows 10 home unless you use pid.key txt file or or use ei.cfg

14. MDLLuke

MDLLuke MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2021
    You are saying, if I just reformat my pc and reinstall windows 10 Home, it will get automatically reactivated right?
    But it will be activated with the same HWID, since it is still the same old hardware..?

15. alexxf

alexxf MDL Addicted

Feb 9, 2008

Only for Windows 10.

16. MDLLuke

MDLLuke MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2021
    If HWID is something only traceable by Microsoft,
    how does a non-Microsoft software track a PC? Do they do it through other IDs?
    I only know MAC ID...