Setting up second display

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ThomasMann, Oct 25, 2018.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Here is s little tip you Gorski, trust me on this, no charge. You would fit perfectly into any Linux forum. Everybody there is like you....

2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    WTF...?!? You said you deleted it and now... Tell you what, this is what I think most conservatives are like: arrogant, spiritually lazy and ignorant - but projecting their worse characteristics on others...

Here is me, trying to help and then... ach, never mind.... What a spoilt old brat... Asking for help, getting it and then attacking the helper - jeeezzuuusss!!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you for confirming my suggesting....

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You are totally wrong on precisely that point!

I write complete introductions for Linux based receivers in plain language. For instance. No jargon. Like above.

But don't let that stop you in your prejudices and unfairness...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #25 Yen, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    The obvious advantage of Linux is it's free and the community inspects the code for any snoopers, backdoors etc.

It is also lighter on the HW and generally works faster. From my experience it can work longer without problems.

That in itself, coupled with greater safety (which can be bolstered up with a Firewall and anti-virus SW) - ;) !

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It's been patched right now by today's update. I have just checked it on my Kubuntu:

Code:
    systemd (237-3ubuntu10.4) bionic-security; urgency=medium

* SECURITY UPDATE: buffer overflow in dhcp6 client
        - debian/patches/CVE-2018-15688.patch:  make sure we have enough space
          for the DHCP6 option header in src/libsystemd-network/dhcp6-option.c.
        - CVE-2018-15688

I'd say nothing to complain here. I'd consider it 'in time' and it concerns an attack from the same network segment 'only'.

Just compare to the w10 October 2018 upgrade mess....;):)

8. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #28 ipx, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022

9. Rouben

Rouben MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Sorry to hear about this painful experience... generally speaking nvidia support on Linux is pretty bad. The open source drivers tend to behave better with multi-monitor setups, since they are standards compliant, but are somewhat unstable and not as well performing as their proprietary counterparts (generally worse for gaming or accellerated video, but the latter is arguable). This is in part, because they are reverse engineered, since nvidia will not release GPU chip specs to open source driver devs.

The reason why Linus Torvalds doesn’t like nvidia, is because they use some wacky ways to build their proprietary drivers for linux that ends up breaking a lot of things including the Linux dev’s ability to debug issues. That makes fixing things virtually impossible. Torvalds apparently approached nvidia re: this but wasn’t able to come to an amicable solution... hence the feud.

Nvidia proprietary drivers (what you installed, I presume), tend to be more stable, but are quirky and don’t work with native tools. It would also seem that they are difficult to remove on Mint usind GUI... not sure why. Probably a Mint issue, as I have never had this problem before with any other Linux distro, including Ubuntu, on which Mint is based. Must be a boneheaded Mint limitation (Mint is a bit hacky and sometimes their devs make really, really annoyingly stupid decisions, IMHO, for the sake of user experience). Short term gain, long term pain... that pretty much sums up Mint.

Anyway, on to the proprietary drivers... as I said, they are not standards compliant. For example, AFAIK you can’t use the Mint’s built-in GUI tools for multi-monitor/resolution setup (maybe just basics, like turning additional screen on and off), because nvidia’s driver doesn’t support that standard. It implements its own via its own control panel. That’s just something nvidia decided and noone can seem to convince them to stick to the open standards. Remember how crappy ATI drivers used to be on Windows, before Windows 7 strongarmed all driver manufacturers to stick to a single standard? Well nvidia proprietary Linux drivers are like 1990’s ATI drivers on Windows.

Speaking of crappy ATI driver config utilities, that’s how the Linux nvidia utilities are. If you poke around enough in it, you will likely break it. It gets the job done, though, but you have to know what to set and how...