Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #1961 pf100, Feb 25, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    (OP)
    I just asked for help here keeping BITS running if anyone has a better idea than my janky idea. Thanks.
    I'm just going to start BITS and let it stop when it wants to.

2. Pl dont make this quest a troll :D
    If a user has deleted | removed all wu services including its dependecies then will any tool work on win11 to update with latest LCU + .net CU.

3. grumple

grumple MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2020
    Thank you so much for your continued work on this, it;'s the only thing that's made Win10 and above usable. Yesterday I had to upgrade a solemn, perfectly fine Win7 system to Win10 (21H2) due to more and more games requiring Win10 or higher and without sledgehammer I'd be in a bad spot with the constant waves of what seems like poorly tested updates rammed down my throat.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Manually installing via DISM might still work. The user could use the W10UI script by @abbodi1406. The tools utilized by Sledgehammer (WuMgr or WUMT) need at least the wuauserv service to run.

5. Wuauserv , BITS , Cryptsvc , Dosvc , Usosvc etc etc all services required for WU are removed | deleted using Trusted Installer rights plus all dependencies used by WU . will Abbodi1406 W10UI script work in this scenario :)
    Plus uninstalled "Search" System App [inbox app] always needed to install updates.

6. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    You need to try it. To be honest, if DISM won't work to apply the updates you're probably screwed, unless there's away for applying them on package level.

7. Hmm Thanks tried it too but nothing works . i need this type of OS where nothing will work to install Updates . Thanks Once Again :)

8. X64_Bit

X64_Bit MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    #1971 X64_Bit, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Hello,

With the new version (installed this morning) of Windows 11 (22000.556) my version 2.7.2 does not work anymore, and neither does version 2.7.3.

Am I the only one ?

Thanks for your help :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Replace the script with the one in the post before yours that @rpo posted. Keep in mind the uninstall script won't work. Update coming soon.

Also, to everyone: I've been working on the script the last few days and have a fix for the store not working even with wuauserv enabled. I never really cared about the Store for the last few years but I feel like there are enough legitimate store apps now to where it's important to have it working. I have many days of testing ahead for me with the script to get it the way it should be in 2022 but I'm going to stop working on improvements for now and just push out an update that works, then go from there.

10. X64_Bit

X64_Bit MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Hello pf100

I took another test. I put back my "clean" image with version 2.7.2, installed version 2.7.3 rc1a (without modification), put the updates KB5011493 + KB4023057 and everything is OK, everything works.

Really sorry to have bothered you with my fake problem

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    As per announcement of Windows 11 22572.1, WMIC is back as an optional feature. Just FYI.

12. Norly

Norly MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2022
    Thanks so much for this tool, I started using it 3 or 4 years ago and it reduced my stress about updating windows many times over. I have a general question about windows 10: since I'm avoiding going to win11 for as long as I can, will the version 2.7.2 that's featured in the first post of this topic be good enough until a new major update for the tool comes in? So far I'm not having any issues with that version, but I see 2.7.3 mentioned in some of the later posts in this topic.

13. grumple

grumple MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2020
    Yes, I can confirm at least 2.7.2 is just fine for 21H2 Windows 10 and have had zero issues across two systems keeping forced updates at bay.

14. Coldblackice

Coldblackice MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2012
    Is there a consensus or recommended order of operations when reformatting/reinstalling Windows as far as Sledgehammer/Windows updates go?

My usual process is doing a complete reformat, fresh installing Windows with ethernet cable unplugged (to create a Local user account), and then....

...install Sledgehammer immediately upon finishing, with networking still disabled, not allowing Windows 10 a chance to update between?

Or,

...allow Win10 to update "officially" after finishing, catching up to date on all needed updates/drivers, and then installing Sledgehammer afterward and blocking updates?

The ideal is the former, but I'm wondering if this could cause issues, perhaps if Wumgr isn't able to find all the necessary updates that the official Win10 update mechanism would?

I know both pull from the same sources, I just don't trust Microsoft that they haven't added some update "logic" into the OS mechanism that might find or pull down some updates that Wumgr might miss?

Thoughts/recommendations?

For reference, I'll be installing the latest Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (I want to avoid Win11 as long as possible).

15. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    #1978 Whistler4, May 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    Just my opinion, but your first option seems most logical to me. Since you're already going to use the latest 21H2 installation files, I think most updates are included, except maybe some device drivers.

That's what I plan to do with my HTPC which is now running a very early version of Win 10 (first disconnecting network and uninstalling Sledgehammer, then using 21H2 setup option to keep files and settings rather than clean install in this case). Before connecting network, I'll reinstall Sledgehammer 2.7.3 rc1a, which has worked very well for me through 21H2.

But I'm not sure there's a big difference in the two options, since you're already committing to installing all the updates in the current 21H2 setup download. I think the main thing is to keep your goal by preventing any upgrade to Windows 11.

Maybe others will weigh in.

16. Coldblackice

Coldblackice MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks, I ended up doing this. All went well, aside from wermgr.exe being called on a recurring basis (not sure of the reason yet, as it seems to be coming from a number of sources).

17. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    #1980 Whistler4, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    wermgr.exe is Windows Error Reporting and it's execution is probably related to system file errors, according to search results in these forums. But SFC errors are to be expected because Sledgehammer locks "hijacker" files (see A3 in FAQ). Check out the post by @Garbellano https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ows-10-build-10147.61787/page-67#post-1062489 and the next post by @dhjohns about disabling that service (I haven't tried it yet).