SLIC Masked?: How does that Work?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Nestor, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Nestor

Nestor MDL Junior Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Latest BIOS updates for the most of the Fujitsu(-Siemens) laptops first manufactured in 2008 or 2009 have both SLIC 2.0 and 2.1 in them, specifically 4 SLIC's FUJ 2.0, FSC 2.0, FUJ 2.1 and FSC 2.1 (FUJ for Fujitsu; FSC, Fujitsu-Siemens Corp).

When dumping the BIOS region from the RAM after flashing a Fujitsu PC with one of them (original, not modded) using FlashAid, the RWEverything shows only one SLIC (2.0) read however though a backup of BIOS indicates all four SLIC's have been written.

How...?

This question is NOT for getting my pc modded with SLIC 2.1, simply just a question, because I have got my 2 pc's bricked already (and I have never seen a feedback of successful mod of a Fujitsu laptop with FlashAid ever!)

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nestor

Nestor MDL Junior Member

Jan 3, 2009
    #3 Nestor, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks for your detailed explanations.

BTW coming over to the "2 bricked pc's" stuff, now I wish I had flashed (at least one of) them with WinPlash (on Windows) or a Phoenix dos flasher
    because the BIOS rom files were 1.00 or 2.00 mb large exactly and modded by the simple "replacing" method.
    If ALL bytes were rewritten there should have been no reason for not booting.

Riding on your talking about Andy, is he now engaged in anything else?
    I played with an Epson bios and found a bug on his AwardTool (reported on the request thread).
    There's been no update yet for the tool since I was said that bug should not have to be PMed to him directly because he should see that...

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    He is rarely online here, I guess he is busy (AFAIK he is a doctor in a hospital)....the project (tools development) hasn't been officially canceled yet........I guess when he has the time to come to here again he'll have a look at it....

And yes, problems occurred mostly due to a improper flash process. Winphlash was unreliable on Vista first, and the DOS version phlash17 had been very reliable...the later versions of winphlash were reliable even on 64 bit OS...but the phrase always prefer to flash from DOS (or built in flash) has still some validity...(BIOS). With UEFI many things have changed, though....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...