So I've used the horrible Windows 8 for a month....

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Mar 17, 2013.

1. ljimbo

ljimbo MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    Screw all this windows stuff.. i wanna go back to using DESQview and DOS 6.2 i had loads of fun back then... silly Windows users... sigh..

look there is nothing wrong with Windows 8 and making a post just to bash it because you couldnt work something out and then saying your going back to Win 7 is rather pointless... Btw for the hibernation thing look in the power app in control panel.. it might take ya some time.. but its there .. surprise... Ive happily used Win8 since release and yeah the start menu was a bit Meh to me.. but i installed Start8 and i was happy.. i set my wife up with pure Win8 and she loves it.. and really i wish i had given the new Start menu a go because its actually not bad... some people just dont like to move on and well you're one of them enjoy Win7 it is a great OS but like all things it will become old and frail some day and you'l be left behind.

2. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    :eek: A *nix-user would do the same with always beeing root. He has only to enable the root-user and logon as root and combletly forget that a normal user even exists. Well let's run Apache always as root-user. This would let us overtake every webserver with apache. Don't even bother for searching for exploits. :bangin:

Did you know that completly disabling UAC in Windows 8 doesn't even let you start Metro-Apps and that every virus or other harmware don't even bother to ask you if you want to install them (even in Windows Vista and 7)?

I realy would like to see your 5 million pictures, word- and exccel-dokuments directly unsorted under C:\. To directly write to C:\ should be an exception, when you unavoidingly have to. There are many designated places to store your files in a Windows where there are no UAC-restrictions. Even almost every non harmware can save there files to several places, where there are no UAC-restrictions so that you don't have to run them with administrative privileges. Only the creators of this desktop-application has to want this. (By the way, this was the bigest fault of Vista, because all the programmers didn't want to access files in places where they shouldn't do it and so Vista got very noisy with this UAC-request for more privillages.)

One last question:
    Why did you even consider to install Windows 8 when you only can stand the look, feel and the usage of Windows 7? Why didn't you test it in a VM (by the way Windows 8 has a nearly full Hyper-V function, which I can't do without now.) first?

3. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    The best idee so far in this thread!! :worthy:

4. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you for your reply.

But, I'd like to inform you that, I've installed no drivers. It's auto configured by Windows. Is there anything left to do?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Is it possible to install 32bit drivers in 64bit OS?:bangin:

I am aware of workaround for printer drivers only..

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    IMHO a member who is fully convinced of w8 will be never bothered by such posts.....like I am never bothered concerning Android-dislike posts.
    I wonder why you have replied here anyway.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Er.....! Isn't this also a discussion forum?

I had wrote some more but deleted because it didn't brings anything and for what?! And for sure Off Topic! I just wrote what I was thinking in that post and if you dislike that, that's just up to you. It wasn't in breach of any rule!

Cheers.

8. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    I just luv trolls!... you-know-who :D

9. TECHNOMAN

TECHNOMAN MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2009
    I wish user who can`t understand a operating system & configure it correctly for their use would stop complaining,change is part of life just deal with it
    all it takes is to use the human organ a brain,

We all make choices on the item we choose to buy & use it takes time & research & common sense to achieve a system the user is happy with

The operating system is not the real problem what ever it maybe Win8,Win7,Android,Apple Plus many more. If you the user are happy with it then fine if not simply change to one you are happy with & stop knocking a system that is beyond your knowledge

If that fails to resolve your issues then return to your playstation or xbox or other gaming devices & foget the computer world

Or as a final way check your local health service for a brain transplant

As it is often the user errors not the system that is at fault as many user here know

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I do not dislike what you have written. I just came back from my trip. I had been in your fantastic country besides of Vietnam.

Chiang Rai, Koh Phangan, Bangkok, Koh Tao. I've learned from the Thai people that modesty, tolerance and patience are values which make my life richer. And I am grateful for that.:)
    Your thoughts are always welcome, but sometimes some replies might result to the opposite of that what was originally intended and keep the things going on which are actually unwanted.

No offense. :hug2:

11. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    As far as Windows 8 goes, I've only dealt with it on other peoples' machines. I didn't like it, but I was able to find my way around.
    And they were comfortable with it and were satisfied. I offered to downgrade, but most didn't care. I'm not interested in upgrading to Windows 8 simply becauseI
    have no need to right now. Windows 7 works fine for me, and I just don't want to experiment with a new OS. I'm not knocking anybody else; if you're comfortable with
    Windows 8, that's good. It never hurts to learn something new.

(Unless it involves Balut, which I'll -totally- pass on!):puke::eek:

12. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
  13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I had tested w8 a short time. Besides of its performance and additional features compared to w7 it is IMHO not worth to upgrade.
    Also its way to use is a huge step backwards and inconvenient, the metro design is ugly. M$ did not listen to the needs of the users who need to work with it.

These are not the main reasons why I boycott w8, better said M$.

I am one who has always open eyes concerning market shares, developing and innovation. I am interested in new products and watch the entire tech markets.
    And I am old enough to have experiences in the entire PC / tech. history.

M$ has missed the smartphone era and hence the apps. That had been their second major fault already. Their first was to miss the internet era.

As a huge imperialistic company they can afford to enforce market shares by using their money. They even break national laws to achieve their goals.
    Competitors were eliminated (such as IBM with their real 32 bit OS/2 operating system).
    Internet explorer had been embedded into their OS also the media player to enforce their use just because they have missed the growing internet market and netscape was first.
    The scheming of M$ are always the same, to enforce their will and to unmake their mistakes concerning marketing strategy by using their capital and by breaking laws.

The time where monopolies are accumulating money and hence inhibit innovation should be over.
    Money which is in the hands of a few companies is useless and not available for new technologies.

As an observer of the tech market I know that good products have a rough ride to become noticed by potential consumers. Most are brainwashed by the monopolies and have not the awareness to have a look somewhere else for good products.
    Good products are firstly in the hands of a minority, in the hands of real tech freaks, before they become popular, or they simply vanish from the market, because they didn’t make it.

We are now in the lucky times where everybody who has some abilities concerning developing / programming can make money, can have a piece of the market share.
    A simple person can develop some apps at home and can try to sell them at the playstore.
    He doesn’t need a job interview at M$, he doesn’t need to follow their rules and conditions, he won’t be a part that strengthens a monopoly.

He is one who is self-employed. He has nothing to lose, if his apps are selling good he makes money. Hundreds of thousands can do it that way. The money is spread and not accumulated.

This model is NOT invented by M$, they copy it.
    SO when you ask yourself now what is the difference of Apple / Google and M$?
    All of them are US imperialistic companies, right.
    But Google’s Android is open source. Their OS is highly customizable and the best mobile OS with a strong community and a lot of home developers who have the chance to make their money at home by selling apps through the playstore. Isn’t that great? Isn’t that anti-monopolistic?
    PC market shares are going down, tablets and smartphones shares are exploding.
    And M$ has missed it entirely.

It is up to you if you want to support M$ monopoly again so that they can unmake their mistake again and again. They will become leader again in a market section they have missed, leader with your help. They will dictate the market with their lame ideas and inhibit innovations. They did that since they exist.

The time is right to take influence on the market to change it to the better.
    We need more competition, we need people all around the world who can get a piece of the cake, which is usually buried in the basements of the monopolies.
    We need transparence, we need open source.

To avoid w8 is not just a decision, it has consequences on the future of technology.

If you want to learn something new, something exciting, get familiar with products of the competitors. Study open source code, customize your own OS, get familiar with Android and program your own apps.
    Use windows where it has its place, for gaming or corporate use. Ditch it where you don’t need it.
    At w8 they just have removed the ballast they have packed onto windows XP and sold as Vista.
    Dream scene, which failed…..a slow OS with almost no performance and no driver support at first.
    Then, actually a good OS, just because the hardware performance could supply that resource hungry OS, w7.

And then the removal of all that ballast again, sold as w8, sold as a new innovation by M$. The removal of a mistake, wrapped in gold paper and sold as a complete new innovation together with a copied idea of a store where people can sell apps.
    With a unified ugly UI called metro, PC, smartphone tablet, notebook. Simply the same everywhere, simple for simple minded people.

Are you still blind?
    I am not!

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @Yen:

I agree with many you said in your post above, but all.

May you forgotten that Microsoft were for many years just a Software Developer and not in the hardware business like IBM, Apple and others. That's something which has to be taken in account. Microsoft also isn't a company which relay's on income from advertisement's like Google, Facebook and others. That also has to be taken in account!

Maybe it was wrong from Microsoft to miss out the Hardware Market for many years and it's really late, if not to late, to start it (the last few year's)! But it's now, after MS was starting to go into the hardware business a time of learning and many things will go wrong, that's unavoidable! Many mistakes are already done and many more will come, that's 100% sure!

To be honest and also objective, means that we have to bring in account ALL fact's and here many are just missed! I could write a book about that all and would still missing out a lot. There so many factors we may even never see! And every person has it's own, personal view which we all have to accept to be a fact of life! One (of many) mistake many humans are doing is to claim that their own thinking, their own life etc. is the only one which really matters and that others have to follow! And that's just wrong!

Working on different OS's which include AS400, Unix, Android and for sure Windows OS's for many years, has teach me a lot lessons! I've learned that experiences with OS's are essential and that every system needs to be configured for the personal use. The last thing what we ever should do, is not take all what others bring "on the table" as the Lords last word! Infos from others may help, I wouldn't deny that, but it's the own experiences which will have the final say! To bashing something which isn't work for me, didn't means that it didn't works for others and vice versa.

If that is what you mean with your question: "Are you still blind?" I would truly have to answer: Yes I am! and to add: I'm a very imperfect human and just like to be so!

15. peekay9

peekay9 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    it grows on you i luv it
    quick smooth
    get start 8 from stardock best 5 bucks you will ever spend.

16. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #56 RanCorX2, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    my experience with windows 8

first boot - froze on start screen

2nd boot - managed to get to desktop, searched "windows 8 rtm freeze", common issue, :eek: froze.

3rd boot - managed to get to windows updates and install everything, minus 2 updates. "reverting changes error"

4th boot - wooo, freezing gone. searched for info about the two dodgy updates, everyone having the same prob. managed to find a solution and install them. all you had to do was nav to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup and delete
    "LogLevel".

5th boot - all setup.

since then, had two bsods (very unhelpful) I miss the old ones. please tell me there will show more info in the future?

got over having no start menu. just created one with the taskbar toolbar option, several custom shortcuts and folders later...I have myself a nice start menu without the need for a 3rd party app.:biggrin:

wasn't a great start, wasn't ever sure I'd upgrade, but I caved in the end. already disabled the metro stuff, well all except the start screen, but clicking desktop isn't so hard on each boot....

I do like new visual style over the old transparent one, for some reason I like all the straight edges.

list of things you might want to find after installing windows 8;

Windows Shortcut Arrow Editor
    Skip Metro Suite
    Tiny Window Borders
    My WCP Watermark Editor
    Ribbon Disabler

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    This reads like using W8 which looks like W7 and has more bugs than features. Why not using W7 instead?
    I didn't encounter such problems, my W8 looks like it should and all works fine here :rolleyes:

18. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    really?

show me proof that Win8 is faster than Win7..

in addition.. you realize Stardock's Startmenu installs a service that runs in the background constantly, adds a startup entry that starts automatically at every boot? not to mention.. it feels shotty.. the startmenu just doesn't feel native.. there seems to be something missing between the OS & Stardock's start menu.. it's very glitchy..

that's what i mean about "emulating Win7".

i lost tons of productivity, and all i ended up doing was emulating Win7.

and for what? why?
    because win8 is newer?

Not to mention the licensing sucks!

and.. all power-functions are hidden..
    i mean.. to get to the control panel is a struggle! wtf!

i have no idea.. i guess that's how companies make money.. fads..

19. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    win +x opens a short menu where you can click control panel. Totally simple and fast :D
    Same toggling from dektop to startscreen simply hit win etcetera