So I've used the horrible Windows 8 for a month....

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Mar 17, 2013.

1. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    I only upgraded to stay up-to-date. I also hate it when someone says "it works fine here", you do know it's different for each user? you know, different hardware/software issues.

apart from what I listed, it works good for me too.

2. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #62 bk109, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    Dear moderators,when will you guys finally close this useless waste of bandwidth masquerading as a forum thread?
    @Everyone here that doesn't like Windows 8 - noone is forcing you to use it,even if it came bundled with new hardware(google downgrade rights). But please,feel free to continue you circle jerk somewhere else,ktnxbai.
    Right-clicking in the lower left corner of the desktop gives a menu(a start menu-light so to speak) with Control Panel as one of the options too..
    Edit:Cool,I didn't know that key-combo invokes the menu I just mentioned :)
    Edit2: Another epic route to go open the control panel we missed,btw, is Win+E and then selecting "Open Control Panel" from the ribbon. And once open,it can always be pinned to the taskbar if it's invoked so often.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Any view is ever personal there is no unpersonal view. You would agree that competition is good for business, wouldn't you?
    So why support the same company over and over again by buying their products, especially when others are already established and serious competitors?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Guys, is there any solution for my laptop issue?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    If you are using windows default driers then download latest from manufacturer site & install...

6. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you. But, now my doubt is, I forget the adapter model and it is not being displayed at device manager. Is there anyway to find out the adapter name?

7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Try with SIW or Aida to determine the name and modell :D.

8. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    So if NIC name is not appearing in Device Manager then windows must have installed generic drivers... Cause of problem :confused:

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Good question!

Ok, let me ask you: Is there any competitor of Microsoft Office which could all do the same or even more?
    • Open Office? NO!
    • Corel Office? NO!
    • Word Perfect Office? NO!
    • Lotus? NO!
    To make the list short from our experiences, that means my customers whit them whole employees (which are in the few thousands all together) and my own company, we haven't found any every one was lacking some needed features!

OK, MS Office also works on Apple machines! But I'll not support that company in any means, beside of, that Apple is even more bad than Microsoft!

So, what's left? Linux? Android? Any Open Source? Or any other system which could do the same for no more cost?

It's a question of Reliability, Feature and Cost and the answer is simple, Microsoft wins in that regard!

All that said, didn't mean that I like everything from and what MS has and is, I didn't! For my own, I use Android (on Tablet and PC), Chrome OS, Linux (Ubuntu & Suse), SCO Open Server (Unix) as well as Windows! Isn't it that these also means that I support those other companies?! And I would also support more if I could get what I need, is as easy as that!

And YES, competition is good for business, as long as the competitors could provide at least the same as those which are used!

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Go to your Laptop manufacturers website and get the drivers for that model.

11. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Hope website don't have 4-5 NIC model for Laptop:p...

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes that is possible but trial and error one will work :biggrin:

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #75 Yen, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    I agree with you here, totally. I also use Microsoft products where I have no alternative. M$ has its place and that is good that way. I have a legal license of w7 and office 2010.
    My post addressed the upgrade to w8 and especially there where M$ tries to unmake their mistakes, at the tablet and smartphone market.
    No company needs to buy every new OS M$ is releasing. Companies are skipping versions. They have to use their money for more reasonable investments.
    A good mixture of good products of different companies is IMHO the best way.:)

14. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Absolutely true!! Why upgrade your whole client network to the latest versions of newest operation systems and office suites? The company I work for uses Windows XP SP3 and Office XP for their workstations and an IBM UNIX POS mainframe. And to top the cake, they are on an intranet so why spend thousands of unneeded dollars if you don't need to. If it does what its supposed to, it works; simple as that :hug2:

15. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    .. .depends how intensive ur office work is... getting it cheap thru HUP is one thing but are the 'extras' worth the exorbitant prices? sorry off topic o_O

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    All software used in my companies environment is legal and fully licensed. If we found any Open Source which could do the same work as those we're using, we'll really consider to go with that and in many cases we do!

Not all software from well known and well reputatet companies are all times the best for to do the work! Many of that apps are simply to complicated for "normal" computer workers while other apps could do the needed work faster, much more easy and therefore also much less costly. I like to take Adobe software as example. Adobe suites are well know, quite complicated and expensive, which applies not for the suites only, it also applies for the apps from Adobe! So there will be a quite long learning period which will add some additional cost to price of that apps, it even get's more expensive (I talking here from corporate users)!

Simple example: you've a Photo and need to prepare it for to publish on an printed publication, which will need to remove all not needed background from that photo and left only the object in question left. That object isn't a solid one, means there a lot areas which let's you see the background behind the object. So, how to do that in Photoshop? Sure it could be done but easy and fast! Using an 3. Party apps like Fluid Mask, Photoshop experienced Designer's/Users who're never used Fluid Mask, were need 5 times the time to to that job in Photoshop than installing Fluid Mask, look the introduction video and do the same work in Fluid Mask!
    There many other Apps out there which could do the same work as Adobe Apps for a fraction of cost.

That was just one example. Same applies for some MS Software. For companies it's not the cost of the product alone what's counting, it's also the time the staff will need to get use of it. In regard to upgrades, what's counting is also save of costings. Moving to newer versions of used product's, which in most cases are Microsoft products, in first line MS Office, is also processing time which is counting in companies as cost. Depend how eager the IT Staff of an company is, many of them are quite conservative and also lazy, a company could save final over a period of time quite a bit of costings while updating or keep the cost on min. the same level if not. OK, the'll have to pay for the update, that's sure and that looks costly at first! But, if the company is looking and calculating for a period of time, there will be an overall reduction in cost.

That brings me back to Office. All of the customers of my company are using Microsoft Office. Most of them are heavy users of Excel and for sure: Word, Outlook, Powerpoint and Publisher. The later didn't counting to much, it's just Excel! Older version of Excel than 2010 are having a huge problem, and that's the used resources. Using quite big Worksheet at our customers, special in Marketing, Inventry and Accounting, they need using filtering which could be a heavy process. Starting those filtering, it would take hours and even more than a day (depend on size and structure of the worksheet) and even crashes in the same moment you'll do some other work on the same computer! After the upgrade from Office 2007 to 2010 the time for such process were down more than 30% and also the staff were able to use the computer for other work (NOT in Excel) at the same time which was a huge improve and therefore also a huge saving of cost! After testing the same processes in Office 2013 and find out that an additional improve in time saving of about 20% is happens, we're now in the process to move on (upgrade) to Office 2013 by our customers.

Corporates will need to have to see that an upgrade from an running system and it's application software will bring a deduction in cost, by not forgetting to take the extra cost of the needed learning phase in account beside of the cost of the Upgrade, they will go with it. But as I wrote above, in many cases it's depend on the IT Staff of an company and how reliable they are!

17. dmarijan

dmarijan MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2009
    M$ will never admit that Windows 8 is BS! :rolleyes:

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Why they should?

Personally I like it even more than Windows 7! If you don't, that's just up to you!