[Solved] NVIDIA GT630m 2GB not detected

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Vampi, May 17, 2016.

1. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    Hi guys. I have a laptop Asus K55VM. Today I was playing DOTA 2 and suddenly my laptop crash. I heared a specific sound from my headset for few seconds, the picture frozen and BSOD appear in the view. It was saying that I have problem with my page file and virtual memory and it started to count something. After 30 seconds the laptop restarts and my NVIDIA GT630m card disappeared. Device manager not detecting it, AIDA64 and other programs like that are not detecting it too. Can you help me with some ideas what I can do and can I fix this problem somehow? Do you think the video card failed and it will not work no more? Thank you very much!

PS: Sorry for my english. It's not very good. System main info: Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3Ghz, Intel 4000 HD, NVIDIA GT630m 2GB, HDD 750 GB. I think the other specifications are not interesting.

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #2 Joe C, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    this is why i set games to 1180x764 at medium on laptops.. blown chip likely.
    did u ever clean heatsink on it before ?

try this.. take battery and power out and hold power button 30 seconds.
    might reset EC that controls card switching.

4. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    I cleaned it before 2 weeks. I will try this with battery and power button. Do you think if I reinstall my Windows or flash my BIOS something will change? The video card is not detected by any software.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Forget to mention: check the BIOS!

Latest version is 211 (from December 2012!). Update if yours is older!

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    If I get you right the card is not listed anymore in the device manager, BUT has still output on the screen right?
    Means there is no blank screen you 'see' windows?

Can you post details on this "Device manager not detecting it".... is it missing there completely?

Do you use internal monitor only? No external attached?

Have you booted into safe mode? Is it missing there as well?

Have started hdwwiz.exe manually? If it doesn't find the hw choose grapics card manually and try to add it...

I guess the driver has been damaged.....if you still have screen output it works at least in one mode...

8. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. I forget to tell you. The video card is not detected by Device Manager or any other program for system information. Today Windows crushes 2-3 times. I think I found the problem and I will reinstall it. I'm unable to post image but I think you get what I mean with the last sentances. In safe mode the Nvidia gpu is missing too.

9. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    Yes. The processor integrated video card is working fine (HD 4000). I boot the system normally. Windows seems to have no problem but it crash 2 times randomly without any reason. I think the problem is in the windows but I will flash BIOS for sure. When I get fresh Windows if the Nvidia card is still missing we will know that I destroy it and the chip is burnt.

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I think the problem is the GT630m, it's dead or nearly there and the laptop is using the HD4000 as fall back.

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I'd make a clean windows install only then. No BIOS update for now since the current BIOS has worked before.
    After you are running a fresh windows post results. Alternatively test/analyze your HDD for potential errors.

12. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    What will happen if I flash my BIOS and I reinstall my laptop with fresh Windows? There is any chance to bring the video card back if its not dead? And before flashing the BIOS do I need to backup my information on the HDD?

13. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    HDD is already tested with HDD Sentinel and SMART Viewer. There is no problems found, no errors or bad sectors.

14. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I think commonsense is if the hardware was working fine in Windows before and it crashed on you and is now not detected by Windows then it's probably dead, if dead it isn't coming back! You can flash the bios without backing up anything, but backups are always good in any situation. Just don't cut the power during the flash.

15. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    Today I have some free time for preinstallion and I will tell you the result. I know from friends if the video card die without any reason no matter which from the both cards die the laptop will have bigger problems. My Windows is crashing yesterday for few times. I had problem with my video card before a year. The driver had a bug and it was not working fine. It blocked the 3D vision from the video card. Do you know any way to diagnose if my card is dead or no, any other software or something else?

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #16 Joe C, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    look into your bios and see if this video card is recognized from within the bios. if it is, then most likely it's a problem with windows. If the bios does not recognize the Nvidia card, then the card probably is doa

17. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  18. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    Thank you guys. Thank you for your help and suggestions. I'm sorry to say the video card is dead. I made everything and nothing change. Thank you anyway.

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You're welcome..it mostly turns out as an hw issue then but I thought it rather could be a HDD data (driver/driver management) corruption....

I got affected by HW issues as well.
    The night before last my mediaserver 3 TB HDD got a head crash and died after 20 months already..did not get past BIOS initialisation anymore.... had to restore the entire server and replace the HDD....later I figured it was due to a firmware parameter set by WD to 8 seconds timer to idle mode, that's insanely low (300000 cycles certified)...never more WD low energy HDD all my Samsung's Spinpoints and SSD are still running...unfortunaltely they sold the HDD section to seagate....

Nevermind. :)

20. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    wd3idle works on that.. if its sata.. not sure of usb.